changing passwords experience is very poor on all of the platforms I've tried

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

First, on the Android app 1Password does not give you access to your password history. Also, you cannot access the password generator to just manually create a quick, temporary password as it will want to create a new vault entry.

On the Firefox and Chrome web extensions if I am on a web page and want to change a site's password, 1Password completely renders the webpage inoperable with a gray overlay requiring you to update the saved password. I need to click the change password button on the web page to know that it successfully changes before the extension prompts to update the vault entry.

If the password I chose does not meet their password requirements I then have to go into my vault as if I am going to edit that site's vault entry, find the previously used password (since 1Password forced me to update it already) and copy/paste the old password in the current password field of the website, try to generate a password using the password generator that DOES meet their complexity requirements (or lesser complexity requirements) and then proceed.

It's easier to either use a separate password generator or keep a notepad app up to copy my old and generated ones in a separate scratchpad until the whole process is successful.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jwms: I'm not sure how this relates to 1Password X, so I've moved the thread to the Lounge category for now instead.

Regarding saving passwords, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to, but certainly you san dismiss the save prompt if you wish. 1Password does not "force" you to save it. You should be able to then open the 1Password menu and generate a password or do anything else you need to do.

We'll be adding "previously used passwords" to the newly designed item detail view in 1Password for Android in a future update. Thanks for letting us know that's something you'd like as well.

If you have any questions or additional feedback, please include the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using so we're on the same page. Thanks! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

windows 7, firefox v62 , 1password X 1.8.2

I'd send a screenshot but, as an example, go to change your password on github.com.

• 1password will fill in your current password in the current password field
    • click on the 1st new password field and 1Password suggests a password.
    • Accept the suggested password and the entire webpage grays out while 1Password prompts to update your saved password.

Since 1password immediately prompts to update the saved credentials prior to clicking the "update password" button on the webpage, I am immediately in a situation where I have to find my password history for that site to see what its previous (actual current) password is to repeat the process until I can generate an acceptable password.

Also, I have no way to change the complexity requirements prior to updating the saved credential.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I hope my follow-up post not yet approved helps explain it better (I kept editing it so it went to an approval bucket I suppose.) Anyways, as a suggestion I figure if the update saved credentials screen didn't gray out the whole browser window and also waited until the web page is navigated away from or something, then it would give the user some time to ensure the new password is acceptable to the site.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Since 1password immediately prompts to update the saved credentials prior to clicking the "update password" button on the webpage, I am immediately in a situation where I have to find my password history for that site to see what its previous (actual current) password is to repeat the process until I can generate an acceptable password.

@jwms: I'm sorry, but I'm still not following you here. Why not fill the current password before generating and saving a new one? Can you break down the specific steps you're taking and where you're having trouble?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I _do _fill the current password from my vault, generate the new one with 1Password, then the prompt immediately comes up to save the newly-generated password. I click ok.

Now I can click "change password" back on the website.

But, if the site wants different complexity rules I must repeat the steps, yet now my saved password is not the one I started with.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

This is a situation you may not come across if you do not encounter sites that do not accept every special character the generator produces.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This is a situation you may not come across if you do not encounter sites that do not accept every special character the generator produces.

@jwms: While it's becoming less and less common, it's certainly something we encounter daily in testing.

I _do _fill the current password from my vault, generate the new one with 1Password, then the prompt immediately comes up to save the newly-generated password. I click ok. Now I can click "change password" back on the website. But, if the site wants different complexity rules I must repeat the steps, yet now my saved password is not the one I started with.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense. I'm not sure what the solution is, since you wouldn't want to miss saving the password if it was accepted, but at the very least you'll be able to get the "previously used password" from that login item if necessary. Thank you for your feedback on this! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I wish I could go back and change the title of the OP to something a bit friendlier. Sorry about that.

I suggested the whole waiting until a screen refresh or navigation away from a change password webpage and it wasn't a fullscreen popup because I recall that I think this is how LastPass behaves when I used to use it.

Thanks for sticking with me!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jwms: Hey, thanks for sticking with us, and being passionate about this. I don't think the title is un friendly. I don't disagree with you that we should do better, and it's something we'll continue to work on. I'm fine with leaving the title as is, but I'll be happy to change it if you have a suggestion. Either way, seriously, thanks for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. :)

This discussion has been closed.