How to securely have a an 'office' vault and have only that vault accessible at the office?

Options
Spythe
Spythe
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Lounge

I have a lot of passwords that I use for Work. All those passwords reside in 1Password, but as I don't have 1Password installed on my office computer (because of the hereafter mentioned reason), I don't have access to those passwords. They now reside in a 'Password.txt' file. Not joking, but those passwords aren't important.

I want to delete that file and use 1Password at the office as well, but there doesn't seem to be a secure way to have your 1Password account enabled on an 'external' (read: office) PC, whilst having your personal vault away, hidden and unavailable.

By Twitter, 1Password advised me to go to "Settings -> Vaults, and uncheck the to be hidden vaults". However, this only hides them from the 'all' section. If I click on myself in the application, top left corner, the box expands and all other vaults are shown again, creating access to my personal passwords.

It would be nice to 'delete' all vaults, except the Office vault. At this point, an 'Office' vault feels redundant and a written note (either file or paper) seems the only way to have Office passwords available and personal ones unavailable..

(Office PC is Windows, noted below, but primarily use a Mac)

1Password Version: Latest, as of 08/10/18
Extension Version: Latest, as of 08/10/18
OS Version: Windows Server 2012
Sync Type: Family, 1P Cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Spythe: Yeah, I really don't follow you with the "written note" thing. You could use a separate 1Password.com membership for that, to truly keep separation between business and personal. But others have found that setting up a guest account in 1Password Families or 1Password Business/Teams is sufficient, since the guest account has access to only a single vault you share with it. It would also have a unique Secret Key. All Vaults settings are useful for most use cases, but this should help with your specific use case. Cheers! :)

• Spythe
    Spythe
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Brenthy,

great idea! The guest account is perfectly sufficient. Big thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @Spythe. Glad to hear brenty's suggestion will help here. If we can help further please let us know. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.