To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused about attachments

Options
petalhanger
petalhanger
Community Member

If I change from stand alone to membership can you explain exactly what happens to my attachments? Do they remain linked to the login or secure note to which they are attached in my standalone vaults? Most of them are called jpg1,2,3 etc so 100+ attachments with meaningless names not attached anywhere is not remotely going to improve my user experience!

1Password Version: 4 on licence 7 on trial
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox and want to stay that way

Comments

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

I am going to add on to @petalhanger's post here as my question is around 'Attachments' (A) versus 'Documents' (D).

A are used by the "Desktop" or "Installed" versions of 1Password.
    D are used by the "Browser" or "Web" versions of 1Password, as well as "Desktop" and "Installed" versions of 1Password.

As someone who has been a 'Teams' plan user since the outset, I never appreciated the fact that my A were disassociated from the original item in which they were associated.

QUESTION:
    Given the above, can an AgileBits representative enlighten me on if there are any "breadcrumbs" back to the original item when a user examines a single D?

It is for this fact alone that I have been hesitant to migrate to the 'Memberships' model from the 'Standalone' model. And I badly want to as I have several Chrome OS devices where I could benefit from this functionality!

@Ben - It appears you addressed this topic to some degree here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/465959#Comment_465959

I was hoping you or someone else might assist with my question above.

• Ben
    Options

Hi everyone,

Attachments are an exclusive feature of standalone vaults while Documents are an exclusive feature in membership based vaults. They serve a similar purpose, but Documents are more flexible.

• Documents can exist without being associated with any other item in 1Password (e.x. you can scan in your mortgage / lease documents and store them in 1Password without having to create some other item to “attach” them to)
    • Multiple records can be “linked” to a single Document (one-to-many), whereas with attachments it is a one-to-one relationship. If you wanted to add the same attachment to a second record... you’d have to duplicate it. This would take up twice the storage space and you’d also have to update the attachment in both places.

if using our built-in migration tools your attachments should become Documents that are linked to from their source items (e.x. Secure Note). It is possible to also create links back from Documents to items that link to them, but that is not the default.

Does this help? Please let me know if you have further questions.

Ben

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,

Thank you for giving attention to my question. However, I still have questions and concerns about the Documents feature.

When I first attempted to transition from a standalone to a membership-based vault, I believe I migrated over items (this may not be the correct term; I am trying to identify the component that has a username and password (Login) with attachment(s)) singularly. That is, I did not want my entire vault to be transitioned from standalone to membership as a first pass.

With the above in mind, the Attachments spawned Documents in the membership-based vault that had a name that I believe was the same as the filename of the Attachment(s). To me, this provided zero link to the original login or item. Has this changed?

Please let me know if I may clarify any of the above.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kurtois: Well, I can't say that we've had any other requests for 1Password to migrate some, but not all, of their data to their 1Password.com account. I don't expect that's something we'll offer, since it seems like people generally expect to be able to take all of their data with them to their new account, but we'll continue to evaluate everyone's feedback.

The way that migration handles attachments to Documents is this:

1. Original item is copied over (attachments must be part of another item in a local vault) as-is
    2. File attached to the original item is uploaded to the account as a Document
    3. A link to that Document is added to the item in the destination vault, so that it's easy to navigate to the file (previously attachment, now a Document in 1Password.com)

Does that help? :)

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - This information helps, but I am still hoping for further clarification.

First, my rationale for not migrating all of my data at one time is to simply do a "dry run" of sorts to determine how the membership-based vault worked. I would think I am not the only one who wouldn't want to go "all in" at the outset, but it sounds like I am an outlier.

In reference to #1:

To be clear, attachments must be a part of one and only one item to be copied over as-is. The part of the sentence: "(attachments must be part of another item in a local vault)" is throwing me off a bit.

In reference to #3:
    A link is added to the item, however, does the Document itself get a link back to its "parent" item?

Please let me know if I may clarify any of the above.

• Ben
    Options

@Kurtois

First, my rationale for not migrating all of my data at one time is to simply do a "dry run" of sorts to determine how the membership-based vault worked. I would think I am not the only one who wouldn't want to go "all in" at the outset, but it sounds like I am an outlier.

1Password for Mac keeps backups of your standalone vault(s) automatically, so if you migrated and wanted to go back you could restore a backup.

To be clear, attachments must be a part of one and only one item to be copied over as-is. The part of the sentence: "(attachments must be part of another item in a local vault)" is throwing me off a bit.

I think brenty was simply commenting on how attachments in standalone vaults work: they are entirely dependent on their parent item, which is not the case for Documents.

A link is added to the item, however, does the Document itself get a link back to its "parent" item?

No. But you can add one (manually) if you'd like.

Ben

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben ,

Thank you for the response.

I am unsure how to comment inline with this forum tool. That said:

Kurtois:

@Ben :
    No. But you can add one (manually) if you'd like.

Kurtois:
    That's what computers are for, no? And less error prone. I would prefer the standalone vault to membership vault transition process/tool to handle the linking of both the parent item and Document to each other.

May I submit this as a feature request?

• Ben
    Options

May I submit this as a feature request?

Consider it requested. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.