Windows 10 - Minor Focus Issue on Launch

Options

There is minor focus issues I've noticed recently with 1Password on Windows

I have 1Password installed as an application, as an item on the task bar, in the Xth slot. When I press Win+NumberX to launch 1Password, the text entry caret is correctly in the master password field and blinking, but but when I begin to type no text is entered. I have to click with the cursor into the text field to have it being to pickup text.

It would be a far smoother experience to be mouse free. Note that launching 1Password Mini with Control+Alt+\ correctly accepts input immediately.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @benjaminisg,

Thanks for reporting this.

This is how I always open 1Password, pinned to the taskbar with WinKey+1 shortcut. However, I've never seen that issue you've reported.

Does this happen more often when 1Password isn't already running or when it is minimized to the notification tray area?

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

Usually I close out of 1Password with the X, rather than minimize, which leaves the 1Password.exe visibly running in Task Manager, and 1Password Mini is in the Trash Bar icons list.

When I kill the 1Password.exe process in Task Manager, and then launch using Win+Number, the focus is correct, even after 1Password is a running process.

Going to do a restart and follow up...

• Hi @benjaminisg,

I've tried that as well, it works great.

Usually I close out of 1Password with the X, rather than minimize, which leaves the 1Password.exe visibly running in Task Manager, and 1Password Mini is in the Trash Bar icons list.

Clicking X just close the main window and minimize 1Password to the notification tray rea.

I'm not sure I understand what Trash Bar icons list is? Do you mean the notification tray area?

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the slang, yes by Trash Bar I mean the notification area on the far right.

Since killing 1Password in Task Manager and installing the October 2018 Update (sorry, needed to for work), I haven't seen this issue even though it was consistent for a few weeks prior. I am still trying to reproduce, but possibly it was an issue with the previous build of Windows, or some specific set of actions that I haven't replicated yet.

Often my laptop is on for weeks without a restart, and will report back if the issue can be closed soon.

• MikeT
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi @benjaminisg,

Do you recall if you've checked for updates in the last few weeks and it was up to date prior to October 2018 update?

We've seen a lot of weird issues whenever Windows start its updates in the background and keeps it pending. Only once it is installed, it was resolved.

So, if your computer was left on for weeks without restarting for updates, that can start increasing the risk of the weird issues.

That's why we keep asking folks to reboot often, so many cases were closed because pending background updates.

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member
    Options

There wasn't background updates downloaded and pending, besides the usual Windows Defender ones that don't require a restart. I keep very close eye on them on this machine.

Now that I think about it, I have a Bootcamp Win10 machine on an Air with the previous build of Windows. I will try to reproduce there as well

• That'd be interesting to find out. I haven't seen this behavior on any versions of Windows 10 but nothing surprises me about Windows in general.

• benjaminisg
    benjaminisg
    Community Member
    Options

This happened to me once today for the first time in awhile, pressing Win+Number. I'm going to try to get to the bottom of it with a reproducible case eventually...

Fortunately it's not as bad as before, where it was nearly every time for a month, so the impact appears to be low

• Hi @benjaminisg,

Which is why we're having nightmares and pulling our hairs out about this, we can't reproduce it and every attempt we try doesn't seem to resolve it.

We'll keep trying to change things to improve it.

This discussion has been closed.