1Password 7 showing both "Folder" and "On this PC" [Left from 1Password 6]

petalhanger
petalhanger
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

OK I downloaded 1PW7 for Windows initially just to carry out the conversion from agile to OPV and I decided to purchase a stand alone licence, - not being convinced about going for for an account because a) attachments becoming documents and b) doubt over ongoing support for standalone vaults. Anyway I seem to have two vaults. I don't know how this has happened or why. I only followed the instructions for converting my vault in this thread https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/465266#Comment_465266

The two vaults are called "Folder" and "On this PC"

The one called "On this PC" has 635 logins - the correct number. The one called "Folder" has 550 logins - that's quite a lot missing.

What is the difference between these vaults - how have I ended up with 2 and what do I need to do?

I use Dropbox for sync and this seems to be working, but when checked that everything was being backed up to my back-up folder I read "Standalone vaults are only backed up if folder sync is enabled" but nowhere can I find how to enable folder sync? I'm kinda guessing in the dark here that I need to be using the vault called "Folder"? for backups to work. but since that vault is 85 logins short that's a bit of a problem

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Can't find it
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Hi @petalhanger,

Thanks for writing in.

We do apologize for the frustrations you're feeling right now. What you're seeing is due to 1Password 7 picking up the older 1Password 6 database that contained a local vault (the one under Folder) that we couldn't migrate to 1Password 7 as a standalone vault (listed under On this PC), there are technical differences in our support for standalone vaults in 1Password 6.0-6.3 versions and 1Password 7. We didn't want to remove any old vaults in the event that you may not have a backup or syncing with other computers.

When you expand the vault list, there is the *** next to each vault that let you manage the vault settings for it. We do plan to add a dedicated view for managing your vaults to the Settings view in a future update. When you click ***, you can see if the vault is enabled for syncing and to open the folder it is syncing with.

My recommendation right now is that if you already have an existing vault that you converted to OPVault with 1Password 7, is to start over with a clean new 1Password 7 database and then open the same OPVault. Here's how:

1. Close 1Password if it is running by right-clicking on the 1Password icon in the notification area to select Exit
    2. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    3. Rename data folder to backup-data
    4. Open 1Password, open the OPVault you just created in your Dropbox folder

Any existing vault you open with 1Password is automatically enabled for Folder Sync and will be backed up daily if there are changes you make within 24 hours.

This discussion has been closed.