I cannot log into my account. I do have my 1Password secret key though. Help!

Options
jpmccomas
jpmccomas
Community Member

I want to sign up for a monthly membership, but my p/w is not working. What to do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:cannot log into my account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpmccomas - I'm sorry for the trouble -- what password is it that's not working? Your Master Password for your 1password.com account? If you've already created a 1password.com membership/account, and you're within the 30-day trial period, you'll need to use the Master Password you created to sign up for the account, plus the Secret Key you received (if you're using a browser to sign into your account). Can you elaborate a bit?

• jpmccomas
    jpmccomas
    Community Member
    Options

The password for the app itself is not the problem. I have used 1Password for years and am currently used 6. I want to upgrade to the new release, but do so with a monthly membership rather than the flat price. I have my secret key, but cannot sign into my account because my password is incorrect I'm told. What do I do?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpmccomas - when you were using 1Password in the past, you had a Master Password. This is what protected your data by encrypting it. When you signed up for a 1password.com account, you would've been asked to create a Master Password as well. You might have used the same one as you did previously, or you might have chosen something different. If you can't get into your account, it's sounding a lot like you might have chosen something different. Please try these steps to see if you can remember it. Let me know how that goes. If you can't remember it, the data in your 1password.com account will be inaccessible BUT, if you're signed into your account within 1Password for Mac, you may be able to transfer the data back into a local vault temporarily, delete the account, re-subscribe, and then move the data back into the newly-created account. But before we do all that, let's see if you can recover/remember your Master Password.

• jpmccomas
    jpmccomas
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried what is showing to be my current Master Password as well as the previously used one all to no avail. I have 1PW on several devices if this makes any difference. I do use iCloud as my backup to 1PW. Next?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpmccomas - I'm not sure I understand you completely. You're using 1Password on several devices...but you cannot unlock it on any of them? If that's not the case, can you please restate what you're trying to do specifically, and what's not working, where things are going wrong? Thanks.

• jpmccomas
    jpmccomas
    Community Member
    Options

I am not able to sign into 1password.com.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpmccomas - that means either your Master Password or your Secret Key or both is not the same one as the ones used when you signed up for the 1password.com account, or possibly that you're using the wrong sign-in URL. The latter is much less likely: all individual 1Password accounts use the same sign-in URL: https://my.1password.com. The only time you'd have anything different than that would be if you had a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account, which would have a name you chose in place of "my" in the previous URL -- but you'd likely know that.

The Secret Key was issued to you when you created the account, and unless you remember specifically changing it at some point, it hasn't changed. That means the most likely culprit here is going to be your Master Password. Do you recall using a different Master Password than the one you use for the Master Password to get into your 1Password apps on your devices?

This discussion has been closed.