1Password 7 on Windows 10 crashes on launch

I've installed 1Password 7.x on a new Windows 10 machine for one of my family members. The app worked fine for a day but when my family member signed out of there account, shut down their machine and then restarted a day later, 1Password crashes every time we try to start it. I've attached a screen shot of the windows message that occurs when crashing. I have access to a video that shows the steps used to reproduce the crash and program log file.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @minordv8,

Thanks for writing in.

There was an bug that can cause 1Password to crash if you signed out of the last account, which we fixed in the 7.2.581 update. Can you check what version you're using on that PC via the Help Menu > About 1Password?

Unfortunately, once you signed out with a buggy build, you have to rename the local database folder to get 1Password to start afresh with the welcome tour to let you sign in. Here's the guide on how to do that.

Is there a specific reason they were signing out? I want to make sure they don't treat the 1Password program like a website, you don't need to sign out every time when you're done.

• minordv8
    minordv8
    Community Member

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting for remote access to answer the question you have about the exact version but in reading the linked guide you provided I notice that "Resetting 1Password will delete your vaults, items, and settings." Does this mean that all the logins in my family members personal vault will be lost? That's a non-starter. I'd rather just have them use the 1password.com web interface and delete the Windows app completely.

Specifically, my family member logged out just because they thought it was safer, I was standing next to them at the time and knew it wasn't necessary but just assumed that they would have to go through the process of signing back into their account the next time they started the app. The fact that the app crashes on startup now and the only solution is to delete their vault seems like a harsh consequence.

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Hi @minordv8,

Does this mean that all the logins in my family members personal vault will be lost? That's a non-starter. I'd rather just have them use the 1password.com web interface and delete the Windows app completely.

No, absolutely not. The data in your 1Password account is not affected. This is a general guide to reset the local 1Password app's database completely if you want to start over, you can always sign back in and reopen the same vault data. Some users do not want to reuse the original account, they can reset the app and sign in to a different account.

You're already reset the account when you sign out, it removes all the data on the local side. The bug is that when you sign out, we didn't reset it to show welcome tour instead of the locked database, so when you open 1Password again, it tries to prepare the database but it crashed instead because it didn't know it is new now.

On Windows, you're simply renaming the data folder, 1Password will create a new folder, you sign in to your 1Password account and it'll re-populate it.

If something goes wrong, you'd be able to just rename the data folders back to get to the original state.

Specifically, my family member logged out just because they thought it was safer, I was standing next to them at the time and knew it wasn't necessary but just assumed that they would have to go through the process of signing back into their account the next time they started the app.

While we understand that, the signing-in/out process for 1Password are not the same as your regular websites, there are no benefits of signing out each time you're done with 1Password because we fully encrypt your data on the disk.

We do not stream your data from the cloud at all, everything must be downloaded first and your 1Password data can only decrypted locally after you unlock 1Password.

When you sign out, you're actually deleting all of the downloaded 1Password data on the local device and when you sign back in, you must enter all of your credentials including email address, secret key and master password, then it'll download all of your encrypted 1Password data once more.

All you want to do on the local side is lock and unlock 1Password with your master password, you don't need to sign in and out all the time on the local devices.

• minordv8
    minordv8
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear that the data will not be lost. FYI: the version that I installed is 7.2.581 so I'm not sure why this bug occurred. See attached screen:

I've gone through the process of reseting the app and all looks good. Thanks!

• Interesting, thanks for letting us know. We'll retest the signing out process once more, it worked great prior to releasing that update.

This discussion has been closed.