Upgrade to 1Password 7 from 1Password 3

I haven't found the specific steps I need to take on the forum. I have been using my licensed 1Password 3 Mac since 2012 which High Sierra no longer supports. Should I backup my data and uninstall Version 3 from Mac before upgrading to a
1 Password 7 subscription?
I can import my data from the backup, correct?
Steps?

1Password Version: 3.8.20 build 31499 copyright 2006-2011Agile Bits I
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Using licensed 1Password 3 Mac since 2012. Remove from Mac before upgrading to 1Password 7? Steps?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@jmcarter99: It will be much simpler to install 1Password 7, create a new account during setup, and then import the data from your old AgileKeychain vault there directly (from File > Import > 1Password Keychain). Let me know how it goes. :)

• jmcarter99
    jmcarter99
    Community Member

Thanks for your answer, Jeremy. I'll work on installing 1Password 7 later tonight. By creating a new account I eliminate the need to first uninstall my old 1Password 3 first, correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jmcarter99: Sounds good. That's correct. We want to make sure you have all your data in your account first, and then I can give you instructions to remove the old stuff. Looking forward to hearing back from you. :)

• Infomaniac
    Infomaniac
    Community Member

Where do you find the 1Password Keychain? I've done a search on my Mac and I can't find it. Have used 1Password 3.8 for years until it quit working. Purchased a new 1Password account, installed the new version, and have done everything I've read to try and bring over my old vault, without success. Following your instructions above, I've gone to File> Import > 1Password Keychain, but when it then says select file, I can't find what I need to select. HELP!

• Infomaniac
    Infomaniac
    Community Member

I've been a long time user of 1Password. I had upgraded in the past but haven't done any upgrades since 3.8. Then after upgrading to the new OS earlier this year version 3.8 would no longer work. So I've purchased a new account, logged on there, installed the new version 7, and tried to follow all the info for bringing my vault over to the new software. I am not a stupid human, but this is the most complicated thing I've done with an upgrade in a long time. Nothing that the instructions say to do is working. So I ended up in the forums and navigated to this section. I saw other posts and responses that said go to File > Import > 1Password Keychain and have done that, but then you have to select a file. I've done searches for the past half hour and cannot find that vault, or anything named "1Password Keychain" or a vault with "Agile" attached to it. I hope my vault wasn't somehow deleted when this upgrade took place. I have YEARS of passwords stored in that vault. HELP

1Password Version: 7.2.1
    Extension Version: 7.2.1
    OS Version: 10.14
    Sync Type: iCloud

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Infomaniac: If you've been using 1Password 3, you definitely have an AgileKeychain. It won't work without one. If you go to 1Password 3 Preferences > General, the path will be shown there. That's what you're looking for. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I merged your other post here so we're not trying to have the same conversation in multiple places. Please give that a try and let me know how it goes.

• Infomaniac
    Infomaniac
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Brenty, I can’t open 1Password 3 because when I installed 1Password 7, 1Password 3 was either disabled or deleted. It is gone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Infomaniac: If 1Password 3 was deleted, either you did that or some other software on your computer did. That's not something 1Password does to itself. You really don't see it in /Applications or the Trash? You can install it from here, but I'd be concerned about what did that if it wasn't you.

• paba873
    paba873
    Community Member

Hi there. I just want to say this is exactly what happened to me. Once I installed 1password 7 then something in the process removed 1Password 3 from my applications folder.

• paba873
    paba873
    Community Member

Also. 1Password7 installed Nov 1st. Trash last emptied Oct 18th. No reference to 1Password in the trash except for the V7 installer

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paba873: What do you see in your Applications folder?

• Stimraug
    Stimraug
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Also @paba873 check this guide for any tips that might prove useful.

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/

-Stim

• paba873
    paba873
    Community Member

@brenty. Some 200 or so applications including Zip file V7 installer and 1Password7 application. If I do a search there is no reference to anything on my mac for 1password apart from these 2. However I'm currently talking to Laura in your support team who says from your diagnostics she can see my old files. If thats helpful.

The old icon for 1password is still in my doc but with the ghosted question mark over the top

• paba873
    paba873
    Community Member

@Stimraug - tried all of these but thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that's good. I'll close this discussion then since Laura is already helping you to avoid additional confusion and duplication of effort. Let's continue the conversation via email. :)

ref: KCH-33641-395

This discussion has been closed.