Search results lost when editing [Fixed in 3.5.1]

I mentioned this in the old forum about the iOS version, but I see that it happens on the desktop (Mac) version as well:

I enter a term in the search field, 1P returns a list of items matching that term. Particularly when I edit one of those items, if 1P syncs (via Dropbox), the search term is cleared and the search results disappear. Very difficult to edit multiple items.

Comments

• mrtoner
    mrtoner
    Community Member
    mrtoner wrote:

I mentioned this in the old forum about the iOS version, but I see that it happens on the desktop (Mac) version as well:

I enter a term in the search field, 1P returns a list of items matching that term. Particularly when I edit one of those items, if 1P syncs (via Dropbox), the search term is cleared and the search results disappear. Very difficult to edit multiple items.

Very freakin' annoying, because any time I've searched for an entry (entries) and made a change to it, 1P syncs and I lose the search results -- and the entry I was just working on. Can we get this fixed?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hello mrtoner,

I am sorry you are having this problem. I was able to easily reproduce the issue. For the sake of those coming across this thread at a later date: What you describe only applies to searching "Everywhere," so if you only have need to search in the "Selected Section" the issue will not arise.

I have updated the information we have in our internal tracker about this. We will look into changing this behavior in a future release.

In the meantime, since I have been annoyed by this once or twice myself <_<, you might want to try what I did: create a Smart Folder with the search criteria as a way to have persistent search results. I hope that can suffice as a workaround for now.

Please let me know how it turns out. Thanks!
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

What you describe only applies to searching "Everywhere," so if you only have need to search in the "Selected Section" the issue will not arise.

Hadn't noticed that; I'll make sure to limit the search in that manner.
  • Teq
    Teq
    Community Member
    I've recently noticed an issue which is really starting to bug me.

Whenever I run a search for a specific item, edit that item and save it, instead of taking me back to the search result list, 1Password resets my search, flips me back to the main list, and displays that list from the top, rather than showing me my edited item (which funny enough remains in focus in the bottom window.

I don't know if anyone is annoyed by this, but I usually edit multiple items in a single search and searching every-freakin-time for each and every item is driving me mad.

Would it be possible to change that behavior to actually keep the search result in place? I think everyone can hit escape or delete the search term from the text field, we're not 4 years old, the program doesn't have to take that over for us.
  • MikeT
    edited November 2010
    Teq wrote:

I've recently noticed an issue which is really starting to bug me.

Whenever I run a search for a specific item, edit that item and save it, instead of taking me back to the search result list, 1Password resets my search, flips me back to the main list, and displays that list from the top, rather than showing me my edited item (which funny enough remains in focus in the bottom window.

I don't know if anyone is annoyed by this, but I usually edit multiple items in a single search and searching every-freakin-time for each and every item is driving me mad.

Would it be possible to change that behavior to actually keep the search result in place? I think everyone can hit escape or delete the search term from the text field, we're not 4 years old, the program doesn't have to take that over for us.
    Hi Teq,

Thanks for reporting this for us, we are aware of this search behavior and will look into improving this in a future update for 1Password. I understand your frustrations with this as I see this often in my searches as well.. Unfortunately, I do not have a timeframe on when we'll fix this.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I move your post to the appropriate thread, Teq. I hope my above response is helpful to you as well. :-)

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thanks!
  • MoonyHart
    MoonyHart
    Community Member
    When I change an item's title so that it changes the order of the items, the search result disappears. I have two google logins stored in my 1Password, and I wanted them to appear in the Safari extension in certain order. So, I searched and renamed one "Google 01 - xxxx," and the other "Google 02 - xxxx." Every time I changed the name and the order, the search was gone, and I needed to search them again.

This made it difficult to edit multiple items for me.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    I move your post to the appropriate thread, MoonyHart. I hope my above response is helpful to you as well. We hope to have this resolved in a future update.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thanks!
  • Harry Warrior
    Harry Warrior
    Community Member
    Thanks for the fix. It was very annoying. Works fine now.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for noticing, Harry! I was just about to update this thread to say that we have fixed this issue in version 3.5.1. :-D

Cheers!
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner
    Community Member
    Sweet!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I was able to get rid of a few smart folders after this update. :lol:
  • gizmo74
    gizmo74
    Community Member
    I had noticed this bug last year, and assumed a fix would naturally work its way in. However, I just noticed that my search bar still behaves the same way, and I updated to 3.6.0 (31043) in hopes of fixing this behavior (I had been running 3.5.9 for awhile), but 1Password still clears my search field--seemingly whenever I click on a result (I can't even edit the search results before 1Password clears the search field). Am I doing something wrong, or is my install botched? My version was definitely not behaving correctly by 3.5.1, or perhaps the behavior re-surfaced in a later version?

1Password 3.6.0
    Build 31043
    MBAir 1.86GHz/2GB RAM
    Snow Leopard 10.6.7
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey gizmo74,

I can't seem to reproduce this in 3.6.0 and confirmed it working since 3.5.1. Are we talking about the same issue? Please give me a numbered list of the steps you take in order to reproduce the problem, just to be sure we are on the same page. :-)

Thanks!
  • gizmo74
    gizmo74
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Hey gizmo74,

I can't seem to reproduce this in 3.6.0 and confirmed it working since 3.5.1. Are we talking about the same issue? Please give me a numbered list of the steps you take in order to reproduce the problem, just to be sure we are on the same page. :-)

Thanks!

What I was doing was:

1. Click in search box
    2. Start typing what I was looking for
    3. When a list of 2 or more matches showed up, I would click on one of the bins listed by 'Title' (in the area that looks like a bookshelf).
    4. .5-2 seconds later, 1Password would clear my search term, display all my entries in the "bookshelf," and the item I had clicked on was selected but not visible in the "bookshelf."

However, I am now happy to report that Murphy has sided with you, and for some strange reason I am not able to reproduce this behavior. I am not going crazy I promise. Perhaps it was my reboot and subsequent hard-reboot (separate issue I'm sure), but I am up and running tonight in 3.6.0 without this strange behavior.

The only other thing I was doing was wireless syncing 2 other devices. I tried that again tonight as well, but this had no effect on the [now-functioning] search behavior.

I'm sorry for taking up your valuable time, and thank you for a fantastic product! I would be lost in the digital world without you!

Cheers,
    gizmo74
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Don't be sorry at all. I'm just glad that things are working well! :-) That Murphy has always been a good friend of mine. :lol:

If you ever have any other questions or concerns, you know where to find us.

Thanks!
  • Bart S.
    Bart S.
    Community Member
    Hi, I just got version 3.9.0 of 1Password from the App Store and this is the first time I'm seeing this problem. It's happening sometimes while I'm in the middle of editing a field. It clears the search and goes to the Browser Extensions section. Is there something that triggers this? I keep wondering if there's a key stuck on my keyboard.
  • benjohnson
    benjohnson
    Community Member
    I second Bart's comment. I just installed 3.9.0 from the MAS and this is the first time I've noticed this issue.
This discussion has been closed.