More Polished Search Function

Options
cs88rf
cs88rf
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

As the title suggests, I feel the search function needs polishing.

Currently, the search defaults to "search all vaults". It's understandably the most common use of a search, I admit. But the detail annoys me when, say I finish a search, go back to browsing, and then need a credit card info later. I click on credit cards category, the search (or more like a filter in this case) is still there, rendering 0 items in credit card category. It's only one more click to clear the search box, and the credit cards will show up...

I admit this is not a major "issue", but it's details like these that differentiate whether a program is polished or not.

I wonder if it's better to clear the search box by default when switching categories.

BTW, this is not rare, I run into this situation a couple of times a day, hence why I bothered to post here to request for improvement ;)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @cs88rf,

Thanks for the suggestion. We do plan to overhaul the search experience, there are a lot of improvements we want to do:

1. Clear results when switching categories or vaults
    2. Add an advanced search UI, so we can default to title only and you can choose to expand to all fields on the fly or customize the search
    3. Add additional sorting options such as reverse sorting, customized filters for stuff like password age that'd be useful in Watchtower and Passwords. While sorting is different from search, they're related.
    4. and so much more.
  • cs88rf
    cs88rf
    Community Member
    Options

Excited to hear! I'm looking forward to the new features.

• MikeT
    edited October 2018
    Options

We are too, we just need to find a way to clone our developers or build a time machine. :smile:

• two7offsuit
    two7offsuit
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT is it also possible to sort the search so that the best match is at the top. For example, I have a login for "Activo" and another for "CTI". If i search for cti, Activo will be first just because it has the letters 'cti' within its name. This doesn't make much sense as I would never search for Activo by using letters in the middle of its name.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's a good point. Definitely something we'd like to improve. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.