For what reasons should i use 1password7 instead of icloud for passwordmanagement?

Options
vangen
vangen
Community Member

I wonder if i should rely on both Safaris passwordmanagement and 1 password7 or only on 1Password7 or Safari. What is the most securesolution ? i almost only usse Safari as i find that it has become the best browser

1Password Version: 1password7
Extension Version: 1password 7.2.1
OS Version: OS 10.14
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:For what reasons should i use 1password7 instead of icloud for passwordmanagement?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Use 1PW7 and turn off Safari's passwords.

1PW provides backups as well as syncing and other services (some of these aren't available if you have a licence rather than a subscription). It is also more secure, as 1PW is encrypted.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vangen - our recommendation is that if you are using 1Password, you turn off your browser’s password manager. If you leave both on, you may get confused as to which service is asking you to save passwords at various sites, thinking you've saved things in 1Password when in reality you haven't. Because 1Password works cross-platform, it will be there on any device you want to use it on (provided you install it and sync your data).

If you mean the iCloud Keychain, some people leave this on because it's required for certain Apple features, but that's up to you -- and it's different from the browser password manager (which should be off).

This discussion has been closed.