Delete Personal vault and keeping subscription

Hond70
Hond70
Community Member

Hi! I really want to hold on to my primary vault synced with iCloud. I was very happy with it till I installed 1Password 7 and was presented with a personal vault and imported items. I see that I can delete the personal vault through your website. My question is: can I just click on "permanently delete account"? Then my data on the primary vault is being deleted and I still have my primary vault? And I can keep using 1password as a subscription?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Mojave
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Hond70! Sounds like you created a 1password.com account as you upgraded from 1Password 6 for Mac to version 7. That's not a requirement.

You can certainly delete your account...but if you do that, then you won't be subscribed to 1Password any more, and you'd need a standalone license. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password membership/account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data (such as with iCloud). You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

Can I ask why you want to retain your standalone vault and iCloud syncing? I might be able to offer some suggestions.

• Hond70
    Hond70
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply and explanation. The reason why I do not want to change to a personal vault is twofold: first of all I do not like the fact that my passwords are available through a website now. It's very convenient, I see that. But it's not 100% save. I've read multiple reactions of security experts who raised questions about your bold move. Secondly I do not know what security measures you have taken to secure your servers and the traffic. I also do not know what Apple has done about it, but one thing I do know: the have lots and lots of money and a perfect rep to protect. So my trust is more with Apple (although it is a US company and therefore sensitive for US data investigation and seize).
    What I do not understand is why you just leave the syncing to Apple (and Dropbox). It's cheaper and more hassle free for you and more convenient for us. Or are your own servers a prerequisite for showing us our passwords on 1password.com?

• 1phowto
    1phowto
    Community Member

You're not asking me but I'll chime in anyway. 1Password is platform agnostic; iCloud is not.

• Hond70
    Hond70
    Community Member

Hi 1phowto. True! But who cares if your an Apple adept ;-)
    iCloud is perfect for my iPhone, iPad and MacBook.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Hond70 - to be clear, your passwords - and any other data you store in a 1Password account - are not "available through a website." The only thing stored on our servers is the encrypted form of your data; all encryption and decryption is done on the client side, in your 1Password app or in your browser. And to manage the decryption, you (or an attacker) would need your Master Password and also your Secret Key, neither of which is ever transmitted to us in any form.

iCloud is a fine service and we've got nothing but love for Apple. But iCloud is designed to do many things -- from Photos sharing to iMessage syncing to all sorts of other things. And at the end of the day, it too is just another cloud service. Your data there is protected only by your Master Password, where on the 1password.com servers, we're able to implement the Secret Key as an additional measure, making your data "in the cloud" actually significantly safer on our servers than any other cloud storage, including iCloud. It's your choice, of course, but if you're looking for the greatest security possible, I'd recommend a 1password.com membership/account.

I do not know what security measures you have taken to secure your servers and the traffic.

No, but you can find out. ;) I'd recommend our 1password.com security white paper for the full run-down.

What I do not understand is why you just leave the syncing to Apple (and Dropbox). It's cheaper and more hassle free for you and more convenient for us.

We do -- that's why standalone licenses and advanced, 3rd party syncing (like Dropbox or Apple) exist in 1Password 7 for Mac, just like in every version since 1Password 3 for Mac.

Or are your own servers a prerequisite for showing us our passwords on 1password.com?

Well, yes. We can't show you what's on Dropbox or Apple's servers because we don't write the code there. :) Using an advanced, 3rd party sync method such as those means you essentially are using just a storage container there -- there's no ability to display the data. We can do quite a bit more with 1password.com because we can control both ends of the setup: the client apps and the server. Hope this helps; let us know if you have any questinos.

• Hond70
    Hond70
    Community Member

@Lars: I am definitely interested in the subscription. But with an empty personal folder and only using my primary vault.
    I just deleted all my migrated items from the personal folder into the trash can. Just to notice that my primary vault was empty too...
    I could undelete my items, but is there no way to delete the imported items and to maintain the items in my primary vault (iCloud)?

Your help is much appreciated!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Hond70 - while it's possible to use 1Password this way - to pay for a 1password.com membership and sign into your account within 1Password for Mac but never use the 1password.com Personal vault and instead use locally-created, standalone vaults, it's a much trickier setup than simply using the 1Password.com account as it was intended. I can't tell for certain, but what you're experiencing here may be part of the difficulties inherent in trying to do things this way. For one thing, you'll need to make sure you set your Vault for Saving in Preferences > Vaults to Primary, instead of Personal. You'll probably also want to monitor it occasionally to make sure no items have been inadvertently saved into the Personal vault. To be clear, items deleted from one of those vaults will not affect items in the other, because they are separate, reside in separate locations, and do not sync with one another. I would also - in your case - perhaps never use the All Vaults view unless you have multiple standalone vaults, and make SURE before you delete anything that it's not being inadvertently deleted out of Primary. Good luck; while this is a possible/allowed way to use 1Password, it's not one we can provide support for since it's not one we recommend.

This discussion has been closed.