Duplicate Passwords

Options
23Raatt3x
23Raatt3x
Community Member

I just migrated by vault from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. I noticed that several of my login items indicate that there are duplicate passwords. However, I know for a fact that those passwords are unique. Am I missing something? Thank you kindly.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You may well have both a Primary and a Personal vault with the same data in both. That would give duplicate passwords.

This happens as part of a migration to a subscription, and ultimately you can delete the Primary vault, once you are sure everything is in Personal.

• 23Raatt3x
    23Raatt3x
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Danco. That makes sense. As a side question, will deleting the Primary vault (i.e. iCloud) adversely affect syncing between my desktop computers (Macs) & my devices?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The intention is that all syncing is done through 1password.com. If that's going ok then the Primary vault is simply not needed. You should have a Personal vault on your devices too, and these Personal vaults sync with each other.

• 23Raatt3x
    23Raatt3x
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I understand. And one final question: it seems a bit confusing, but now that I have a subscription to 1Password7, how do I install the same version on my devices (which currently are running 1Passwaord6? Thank you for your patience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@23Raatt3x - looks like you've been in good hands with @danco so far, but to continue here: it isn't required for you to be running the same exact version across devices (though there are some older versions which cannot use 1password.com accounts at all). In general, you should keep your software (including 1Password) as up-to-date as possible, but as long as you're able to sign into your 1password.com account, you'll have the same data everywhere.

If you had data on other devices that WASN'T also on the first Mac where you signed up for your account and did the initial migration, then you'll probably want to migrate that data over to the account as well. But if you've had only a single standalone vault synced across devices, and you've already migrated the data on your Mac, then you not only don't need to but shouldn't do it again on multiple devices, or you'll have multiple copies of the data in your 1password.com account vault. Just sign into your 1password.com account on these other devices, and then remove the Primary vault. That should do it, but let us know if you have any follow-up questions or issues. Cheers! :)

• gwhiesterman
    gwhiesterman
    Community Member
    Options

I may not be understanding. I am using version 7 and do not have a subscription account. I, too, have brand new unique passwords that are not duplicated but I receive the warning message that I am using a duplicated password. I show three vaults in 1PWv7 left column: Primary on iCloud, and two On My Mac: 1PW and Archive for a total of three vaults. Is my Primary on iCloud and 1PW on my desktop iMac at odds with one another and therefore making it appear that a single password is showing up more than once?

• 23Raatt3x
    23Raatt3x
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, @23Ratt3x.

• kjames
    kjames
    Community Member
    Options

I have deleted my Primary vault having moved all the passwords into my new Personal vault (hosted with 1Password). However I still get this warning on almost 300 passwords which aren't duplicates and I don't have any other vaults. I really don't want to change 300 passwords to remove this incorrect error message.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

@gwhiesterman - if you have copied records into multiple vaults, then you do have reused passwords, according to 1Password. Are you saying you're able to look at the Reused Passwords section of Watchtower and see items there that do not correspond to anything else? That you're certain they contain a password that is not used in ANY other vault in ANY item?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @kjames! Please Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and restart it. If the problem persists, make sure you've actually deleted the Primary vault, instead of just copying items from it into Personal. Then visit the Reused Passwords section of Watchtower to see what 1Password thinks is being re-used. Items in that category of Watchtower will be grouped by password -- so you'll be able to see visually what items 1Password thinks have the same password. Let me know what you discover.

• jrab
    jrab
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed duplicated passwords too, but it's definitely not a migration issue, unless 1Password changed the passwords of completely different sites (which still work). I've copied the password and seached with it to find which sites have the duplicate. The password was randomly generated: -qRM4ezt7FfyaQV$Gl , so it's using a combination of upper and lower case, numbers and characters. The first was created Nov 1, 2014 and modified Jan 29, 2015, the second was created and modified Feb 4, 2017, and it's also sitting as a password created for a third account, created July 13, 2013. There have been a few more duplicated random passwords that I've noticed before, but haven't commented on it because I thought it was a one off.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jrab - that's quite odd indeed. In all my time here, I've yet to hear of a case of the Password Generator in 1Password generating the same password multiple times for different sites at different times. In fact, I don't even think it's possible, given how we generate random passwords. When I say "possible," I mean the only way to do it would be organically, which would be akin to the odds of winning the powerball...repeatedly. My guess would be that either you or someone else with access to your system copied the password at some point, figuring (as I did in the distant past) that it really didn't matter if you used the same one in multiple places, or there's something larger amiss at either the OS or even hardware level of your Mac. I hope not the latter.

This discussion has been closed.