Should suggested items be shown when no login exists for a website? [Yes.]

Options
hakweye
hakweye
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

Something I'm finding to be confusing: when visiting a website and opening the 1Password browser extension (Chrome in this case), it will show "Suggested items" with the domain name and an icon for the website, even if I don't have a login for that particular site.

This is really confusing as it makes me think I should have a login for the site in my vault, even if I don't. This could lead people to think items are missing from their vault.

In the example below I've gone to a website that I would never sign up for, yet 1Password still shows a suggested item.

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:suggested items

Comments

• rudy
    edited October 2018
    Options

@hakweye,

In this case it is doing the correct behavior, even though it seems like it might not be. Its displaying suggested items that might be appropriate for the site name listed under the "Suggested Items" header. The Item list is indicating that you don't have any logins for the site in the currently selected vault. It also would include Credit Cards and Identity items that might be appropriate for filling out an order form or account sign-up (as would be the case with the identity items).

Its also possible that you could have a login for the site in another vault, switching to all vaults would give you a complete picture of all the available items that might be appropriate for filling here. It would also present Password items if you hadn't yet turned a password item into a Login (essentially adding a username to go with the password).

Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll be happy to answer them.

Rudy

ref: apple-1204

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy, but what about when the current page does not have a single input field on it? There is nothing to fill.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@verdi1987: It doesn't know if there's anything to fill until you tell it to try. Presuming we change that (though I doubt we will), we then have another problem: "Why does 1Password do nothing when I use it?" I get where you're coming from, but the alternatives don't seem much better. And frankly changing this would also make it problematic for 1Password to try to match items to other apps too, since there's nothing to fill there either.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, that makes sense. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It makes sense, but it isn't obvious, so you were right to point it out. More and more we seem to run into situations where hiding a lot of complexity from the user to avoid confusion actually causes some too. It's an interesting challenge. We'll keep working to strike the right balance. Cheers! :)

• phonghtran
    phonghtran
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to echo the same confusion over the feature

For logins that don't exist:
    It's rather distracting because it's the loudest piece of UI. And clicking doesn't do anything which is rather unsatisfying

For logins that do exist:
    The right side already has a better list of suggestions already. So it seems redundant?

I can't speak to multiple vaults, so I'll leave that to others to comment.

Overall shouldn't the left side just be purely navigation? Putting a suggested item there seems out-of-place.

Just my three cents.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

I am in complete agreement with @phonghtran. It was several days of usage of the new mini before I understood what “Suggested Items” was even referring to, albeit once I realized its meaning it made sense.

It does appear very large and loud, as @phonghtran says. I feel like the login should be the item initially emphasized by the blue highlighting instead of “Suggested Items” in the sidebar. Over 90% of the time the login (or one of your logins) is what you want anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's a good point. But I don't think we can reasonably design around just logins since 1Password mini needs to do "double duty" and surface other things as well, depending on the context.

But I think there may be some confusion here too: the "Suggested items" on the left is navigation: that indicates what 1Password is matching, and then the results are reflected on the right. For example, if you open mini on this webpage, you'll see "Suggested Items: discussions.agilebits.com" on the left, and results for that on the right; if you open mini with another app focused — say, Simplenote — you'll see "Suggested Items: Simplenote" on the left, and that gives me my Simplenote account on the right so it's easy for me to grab my login credentials to sign into that app.

I think there's definitely room to refine the UI though, so I thank you for your feedback on this!

• phonghtran
    phonghtran
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Ooohhhh, that's interesting. That's where my dissatisfaction is coming from. I've been reading it as a big fat button to fill things out for me. Even as I'm looking at it now, I want it to be a button. It's way too different from the rest of the list. (Most of the time for me, it's even highlighted blue so it looks even more different.)

This might make the visual designer(s) sad, but I'd float the idea of reducing it back to looking like the rest of the navigation items (same size static icon, and no gray meta data)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ooohhhh, that's interesting. That's where my dissatisfaction is coming from. I've been reading it as a big fat button to fill things out for me. Even as I'm looking at it now, I want it to be a button. It's way too different from the rest of the list. (Most of the time for me, it's even highlighted blue so it looks even more different.)

@phonghtran: Ohh. Okay, yeah, that's interesting. I'm not aware of anyone else saying that. But perhaps others have been thinking it. :)

This might make the visual designer(s) sad, but I'd float the idea of reducing it back to looking like the rest of the navigation items (same size static icon, and no gray meta data)

I'm not sure that going in the opposite direction is the answer, but it's certainly another thing we can consider as we continue to refine the design. Thanks for mentioning it!

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

Ohh. Okay, yeah, that's interesting. I'm not aware of anyone else saying that. But perhaps others have been thinking it. :)

I initially thought "Suggested Items" had a function other than navigation, and I thought the icon could be clicked. It wasn't until after using it for several days that I figured out it referred to the logins, credit cards, and identities.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for chiming in! While it can be clicked, that just selects it, like clicking Password Generator, Favorites, etc. We've moved to more of a selected indicator for actions in version 7 (e.g. Fill and ( > ) ), but that's certainly a bit different from version 6. :)

• benrcp
    benrcp
    Community Member
    Options

I came to this forum to try and work out what the *^&$% the "Suggested Items" button is supposed to do, and why it seemed to be suggesting that I had a login which I didn't. Thanks to reading through this thread, I've finally understood. I do think the number of people who are confused suggests that this needs a bit of a rethink.

If the custom icon and domain name were dropped, so that it just read "Suggested Items" and was more clearly in the same category of interface item as Favourites and Password Generator, I think it would be very much clearer.

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

I also have been confused by the same thing for the last few weeks – when you have no login, the visual cues in 1pwd mini make it look like you do. And yesterday I happened to see my girlfriend get stumped by this too, when she brought up 1pwd on a site she had no logins for and asked me why it wasn't working.

My two cents about what may be causing confusion:

• When you bring up 1pwd mini on a site with no login, as others have already noted, the "Suggested Items" icon looks like a button.
    • The language "Suggested Items (www.example.com)" makes it sound like 1pwd is affirming that there are matching logins
    • In the right hand list, the first item in the list is selected automatically, which also, at a glance, makes it seem like there is a matching item.
    • It takes a few seconds to recognize that the selected item is an identity or credit card, not a login.
    • Only by looking carefully do you see that above this is a heading that says "No logins found for example.com".

In summary, if I bring up 1pwd mini on a site I don't have a saved login for, the first thing I want to know is that there are no matching items. But that info gets lost in the surrounding UI which currently makes it look like there are matching items.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @skatch and welcome to the forum, @benrcp! The new mini was the result of an entire re-think of the behavior and use cases of the old one. A lot of people love the changes, some folks are more accustomed to the old way of doing things or just have a different workflow or set of understandings about how something should work. I'm glad this thread was helpful in answering your questions, @benrcp, and thank you for the detailed use-case and suggestions. We have already iterated the mini in follow-up updates, and there will likely be more to come based in large part on user feedback. I don't know that we'll be changing this specific behavior, but I'll certainly pass along your suggestion to the developers. Thanks! :)

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

HI, I've also ended up on this thread for much the same reason as everyone else.

I have just tried to login into a site but 1P tells there is no login information, but there is a suggested item. I know I have the login details for this site so I reasonably expect to be able to click on this suggested item to see what 1P is suggesting. The suggested item is a Login category entry in my 1P database for this site and does contain my login details.

I find this behaviour happens for two reasons neither of which are the fault of 1P
    1. The site owner has changed the address of their login page so 1P does not completely recognise it, or
    2. I have created a login entry with id and password and no url

The point is that I cannot fathom the point of 1P making a suggestion when there appears to be no way to do anything with the suggestion. I understand that having the suggestion helps direct me to the fact there is an entry and that 1P is not quite sure what to do with it, this is very helpful, but as a minimum it seems reasonable to at least be able to click on the suggested item to open and review the entry manually.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iwaddo

I find this behaviour happens for two reasons neither of which are the fault of 1P

That's correct - we can't track what site owners may have changed about the behavior of their sign-in pages since the last time you signed in.

Regarding the behavior of Suggested Items, I can see what you mean -- I'll pass along your feedback to the development team for consideration for future updates.

• _jack_
    _jack_
    Community Member
    Options

Like everyone else, I landed on this thread trying to work out why 1Password is suggesting a saved login but not letting me use it. After clicking around in vain in 1Password mini, and deciding it was a bug, I opened up 1Password itself to search again, sadly again in vain and confusion.

In case it isn't clear from all the feedback here, it is extremely confusing. It is worse of course bcs the very fact that you are looking in 1Password means you think you might have a password saved, so when you see the right one "suggested" but apparently missing, you don't know if you've somehow lost that login you saved, or it isn't a proper login, or it just isn't showing up bcs of a bug.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

jack - I think this is a different (though related) issue from what's being described above: in the above example, people were discussing having a Login items saved for a particular site, but the site owner changing the login page so it doesn't appear in the list when invoking the mini on the actual login page for the site, or having created an item with NO URL, which also doesn't match to the site's actual login URL.

What you're describing sounds more like a memory issue, where you think you may have an item saved, and get confused by the "Suggested Items" label in the top left of the mini. There are two ways to verify that what you're thinking you remember either is or is not correct:

1. All items that match the current URL will be listed next to "Suggested Items." So, as in this example, I do not have an Earthlink email account, so although "Suggested Items" does show the site icon for Earthlink, to the right of that, the words "No items found for Earthlink.net" are visible, and no actual items are listed underneath...because I don't have any:
    2. A search in the main window of 1Password, after switching to All Vaults view and All Items (Logins, if you prefer) will show me anything I have that matches.

Hope this helps! :)

• _jack_
    _jack_
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks for the response. Re-reading this entire thread, AFAICT there is only 1 user with the problem you describe. The original post, and all other customers' comments, are talking about what I describe - the 1Password UI confusingly suggesting a password that does not exist.

As you say, we:

get confused by the "Suggested Items" label

That's the very problem we're all reporting - the UI is confusing. Hopefully this feedback helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time it says "Suggested Items" no "Suggested Logins". As with any change, there can be a period of adjustment no matter what. But we'll also see if we can make it clearer for more people without having to toss out the benefits of contextual matches. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• jdalbert
    jdalbert
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I just want to echo the general confusion here and add my vote against this 1password mini redesign (just the notion of suggested items; everything else is good!).

When I use 1password mini with keyboard shortcuts, everything should happen in the sub-1000ms, I don't care about any suggestion, I just want to log in or not in less than 1 second (ideally 500ms). When no items are suggested, I have to stop and think because of the huge button and all of the items suggested in identities and credit cards, which I actually don't care a single bit about and are just visual noise. This makes me lose precious seconds for something that should be fast. All I care about is quickly knowing whether I have credentials or not for the current website.

Iterate that situation over dozens of websites every day, and the mental fatigue accumulates and is definitely noticeable. This is truly a pain, at least for people who like to get things done fast. I feel like the previous version with no suggested items was better for power users.

PS: also with this new 1password mini design, to get to "password generator" I have to press the down arrow key twice because "Suggested Items" takes one entry in the left list. Whereas I only needed to press it once before, if I remember correctly.

PPS: This XKCD is relevant to what's happening here: https://xkcd.com/1172. Every change breaks someone's workflow. :smile: Joking aside, it definitely feels this way for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdalbert: It's pretty fast on my Mac — about half a second — and it's fairly old and underpowered compared to what's available in recent years. We're not going to design 1Password only around "power users", as there are a lot of other folks out there who should be able to use 1Password too (and "power users" rarely agree on what is important anyway), but we'll continue to make the new version more efficient in updates over time as well. Regarding the Password Generator, you're right: it's now two taps of the down arrow instead of one when in the context of Suggested Items. But honestly, most folks aren't generating new passwords the majority of the time. I certainly haven't today. Suggested Items may have room for improvement, but it's much more common for that to be useful than the Password Generator. At least for most users. Anyway, one of my favourite comics of all time, and certainly rings true. I just don't think that it's fair to those who benefit from new features to hold them back just because a few people will need to make some adjustments. I'm sorry that some 1Password 7 changes have slowed you down a bit, but we'll continue to make it faster, and I suspect you will get faster as well in time. :)

• akowalz
    akowalz
    Community Member
    Options

I wanted to add another voice to the mix here that the "Suggested Items" label is very unintuitive, especially on websites where you don't have any logins. I was so confused by this recently that I tweeted to 1Password support to get clarification on what the purpose of "Suggested Items" was.

I think there are a few main issues with the current behavior of the "Suggested Items" label in 1Password Mini.

1) "Suggested Items" always show Credit Cards and Identities, even for sites where you have no site-specific items saved. Why are credit cards being suggested when there are no payment forms on the page? And why are identities being suggested at all?

2) The label looks almost exactly like items do in my vault: a site-specific icon with a label beside it. The label looks quite a lot like a button, and repeatedly tricked me into thinking I had vault items for sites that I did not. This month I was starting a new job, setting up lots of logins to new websites, generating lots of password. I went through the following about a dozen times before I tweeted support:

I go to a new site to sign up, and open up 1Password Mini to generate a new password. But, there are "Suggested Items: thiswebsite.com" already populated with a logo and everything. "Huh, that's weird", I'd think, "maybe I do have credentials stored in another vault?". I click the label to see the what items it was suggesting - but nothing happens. Turns out, it was just suggesting credit cards and identities. I honestly thought the button (label) was broken until I got clarification on this behavior, it was not clear that it was suggesting credit cards.

Here's how I would expect "Suggested Items" to work:

a) If you are on a website for which you have site-specific vault items, those item, and only those items, will be suggested and appear in the list to the right.

b) If you are on a website for which you do not have any site-specific items, "Suggested Items" would not appear. Instead, there would be messaging indicating you do not have any items for this site, e.g "No Items found for somesite.com".

c) If you are on a credit card form on a website for which you don't have any site-specific items, credit cards would appear. But the, messaging would be clear that is but because you are looking at a credit card form, not because of the website. Something like "Suggested Items: Credit Cards", omitting the site logo and name.

Hopefully this feedback is useful, and can be taken into consideration!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akowalz

Hopefully this feedback is useful, and can be taken into consideration!

It is, and it will. Thank you for the thoughtful take on how to rework Suggested Items. We are indeed in the process of making some changes to 1Password, and I'll pass along your recommendations. :)

• akowalz
    akowalz
    Community Member
    Options

I wanted to follow-up to say that the redesigned 1Password Mini released in version 7.3 for the Mac completely addresses and alleviates the issues raised in this thread. Thanks for taking our feedback into consideration and releasing such a great update - I'm already finding the new mini more intuitive and easier to use.

• Ben
    Options

Many thanks for the kind words @akowalz. I'm glad to hear 7.3 has been a good update for you. :)

Ben

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

+1. I'm only a day into using it, but I see lots of changes to both design & interaction, and the net result is that it's easier to use. It addresses the issues in this thread, as well as a variety of other things that I've found myself stumbling over when using it the past few months. I'm glad the 1Password team took the time to refine it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the new update. :)

This discussion has been closed.