How to purchase a 1Password 7 license

samuel_muindi
samuel_muindi
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I am a long time 1 Password user. When my MacBook came back from AppleCare support with a clean install I decided to purchase a fresh copy of 1 Password from the AppStore. Everything works fine except when I try to use the Safari extension to input credit card info I am blocked by a prompt to subscribe to 1 Password and had to cut and paste the data from the 1 Password application. I don't need this feature and don't want to purchase a subscription. So how do I use 1 Password 7 as a stand alone App?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: Just downloaded, don't know
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Hi @samuel_muindi, welcome to the forums! We are happy to help!

The Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 requires a 1Password membership, but you can still buy a standalone license if you download 1Password 7 through the AgileBits website.

If you need detailed 1Password 7 upgrade instructions, you can find them here.

• samuel_muindi
    samuel_muindi
    Community Member

Ah, I wasn't aware that a subscription was required for an AppStore purchase. So are you telling me that I have to purchase a 2nd copy of 1 Password 7 if I just want the standalone version? That is a bit distressing.

Thanks for the help.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

Licenses do not include upgrades. Memberships do. If you’d like to have upgrades be included then membership is the answer. If you’d like to use 1Password with standalone licensing then licenses are available on a per-person, per-platform, per-major version basis (e.x. 1Password 6 for Mac does not include 1Password 7 for Mac, nor does 1Password 7 for Mac include 1Password 7 for Windows).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• samuel_muindi
    samuel_muindi
    Community Member

Thanks for the response, but I'll have to admit to being confused.

I just want to use 1 Password 7 on my MacBook. I thought that buying an entirely new version from the AppStore would be a good way to give you guys some additional business while making it easier to restore my system if I ever get stuck with another clean install.

But I'm reading your responses correctly I wasted my money because the AppStore version only works with a subscription. And that's something I definitely don't need. As I said, I just want to run 1 Password on this machine. I do have other computers running older versions of 1 Password, but I don't need/want to link them via a subscription.

So am I screwed here? Is there a way to make my AppStore version work without a subscription? Or do I have to find away to load one of the older version on this MacBook? Or do I have to turn to a cheaper App and start all over. That would be a bummer because I've been using 1 Password since version 2.

• @samuel_muindi

Even for someone in your situation 1Password membership has a host of benefits, but if you’d prefer a license for 1Password 7 for Mac you can purchase one from within 1Password 7 for Mac when you download it from our website. The App Store version of 1Password 7 will indeed only work with a subscription.

Ben

• samuel_muindi
    samuel_muindi
    Community Member

So in other words I'm stuck with an AppStore version of 1 Password that doesn't work for me, and if I want a version that does I have to buy it again? Is there any chance of a refund on the AppStore version? If not, I'm afraid you've lost a long term customer. And this is all because I valued your product and figured it would be appropriate to send you some extra business by buying the current version in of trying to restore the old after my machine was wiped.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

@samuel_muindi If you paid for 1Password one-time on the Mac App Store, you did so for 1Password 6. 1Password 7 is a separate purchase from 1Password 6 unless you have a 1Password account. I'm not seeing why you'd have to purchase 1Password 7 "again" as the download from the Mac App Store is currently free (though only works with a separate subscription).

• samuel_muindi
    samuel_muindi
    Community Member

I didn't see any other option on the AppStore, but this, which I purchased.

1Password 7
    Version 7.0.4 (70004000)
    Mac App Store

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@samuel_muindi - Now I'm the one who'll have to admit to being confused, since we do not sell standalone licenses of 1Password 7 on the Mac App Store. It's only been available for a few weeks, but before 1Password 7 for Mac was released there, we made the decision not to sell standalone licenses in that venue due to the difficulty of smoothly managing upgrade pricing in the Mac App Store. That's what's making me confused: while you can certainly download 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, you literally cannot have purchased it there. You may have purchased an earlier version (6, 5, or 4) from the Mac App Store (and if so, thank you!) but as Ben mentioned earlier, 1Password 7 requires a new purchase (or a 1password.com membership) for all users, since it's been such a long time since we had a paid upgrade.

Can you clarify what you did? What I understand you to have said so far is that you've downloaded 7.0.4 from the Mac App Store, which you say you've paid for, just recently. Is that correct? If so, what amount did you pay via the Mac App Store?

• samuel_muindi
    samuel_muindi
    Community Member

Well its a relief to know that we all confused here and that this is indeed confusing.

To answer your final question, yes, I definitely purchased 7.0.4 via the AppStore last week. I'm a long time 1 Password user, but up until now I've always purchased 1 Password directly from you (going back to version 2, I think).

This situation arose because my MacBook got wiped after an AppleCare repair. While I could have reinstalled version 6 from my back ups, I thought this might be a good excuse to finally buy the AppStore version to 1) make future reinstalls easier 2) throw you guys some additional business because, as I've mentioned, I've been using 1 Password for years.

But I guess I could have read some fine print on your AppStore page? I had no idea that 7.0.4 would not work as a stand alone application and required a subscription.

Perhaps the way we could solve this is for you to help me reinstall version 6. I have that somewhere on a back up disk, but perhaps I could down load a fresh version from your website? If so, would my old version 6 registration code still work?

This would of course mean that I eat the cost of that AppStore purchase, but at this point I'll settle for a working 1 Password app on my travel computer.

Ps. I would be happy to send you screen shots of my AppStore receipt and confirmation that I'm running a paid version of 7.0.4.

• @samuel_muindi

I think it would be helpful to see your receipt, if for no other reason than to better understand what exactly it was that you purchased. If you don’t mind, please send it to us at sales@1password.com. With your email please include a link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/442208/#Comment_442208. When you send the email you’ll get a support ID back. Please post that support ID here.

Ben

• samuel_muindi
    samuel_muindi
    Community Member

Hi,

The support ID is [#ILF-56947-274]

And as I said in the message, I think I’ve sorted out the confusion on the license question. As you’ll see from the screen shots, I am running 7.0.4, which I definitely downloaded from the AppStore.

However, when I looked for an e-mail receipt for my AppStore purchase I couldn’t find it.

My guess is that I wasn’t charged for the AppStore download because its listed on the Appstore has having “in app purchases,” which I guess means that I would only be charged if I subscribed?

If that’s the case, would this be as simple as deleting the AppStore version and digging out my version 6 license?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@samuel_muindi - Indeed, that looks exactly like what happened. It can be a bit confusing, since you're able to download apps like 1Password that no longer have an up-front cost, so you're certain you have it...but all you've really done is download; it's not yet paid for. In our case, with the Mac App Store version, you can't purchase a standalone license as of 1Password 7, so if you'd like to do that (buy a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac), just delete the current Mac App Store version and install our version from.

• Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    • Delete 1Password 7 for Mac - don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the trash.
    • Visit our downloads page and grab the latest version of 1Password for Mac.
    • Run the installer. Since you previously had 1Password 7 installed, you may not get the first-run (setup) screen; if you don't, you may find yourself in Read Only mode (because 1Password is unlicensed).
    • If that's the case, go to File > Purchase 1Password and you'll be taken through the steps to buy a license for version 7 at our FastSpring store.

That should do it, but let us know if you have any problems! :)

ref: ILF-56947-274

• BRV
    BRV
    Community Member

Hello. As I'm right understood – my standalone license form 1password 6 purchased at 2016 doesn't work on new 1password 7?
    If yes, its awful because I will not get updates for it! And I don't understand why!?

• @BRV

Licenses do not include upgrades. That is one of the advantages of membership: upgrades are included in your membership fee. A 1Password 6 license will not work for 1Password 7. You have three options:

• You can sign up for a 1Password membership, which as I mentioned includes all upgrades
    • You can purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license. This will not include 1Password 8 for Mac.
    • You can continue to use 1Password 6 for Mac that you purchased for as long as you like and as long as it works for you. You are correct however that we do not have any additional updates planned for v6. We’ve released 31 updates for 1Password 6 since its release in January of 2016. Those are included with a license. Upgrades are not.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• BRV
    BRV
    Community Member

@Ben
    I feel cheated. It’s sad that you "deceived" your paid users. It's is not ours (yours paid users) problem, that you choosed this business model with standalone license. I bought it and hoped for security updates at least.

disappointed..

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

@BRV

I’m sorry we’ve made you feel that way, but that is indeed how standalone licenses have always worked. If you’re not a fan of that then membership is definitely going to be a better route.

That said, while we aren’t planning any further updates for v6 (beyond the 31 we’ve already released), if there were a security issues that arrose we would certainly take that into consideration, depending on the severity and likelyhood of exploitation. It would be a bit of a challenge to update v6 at this point, but a security fix may justify doing so.

Ben

ref: KNU-53999-629

Community Member

I really hate that you force people to use the cloud version which is obviously not secure.
    Just mathematically. Nothing what you do can make it more save, since the information is not in my hand.

WHY IS THE STANDALONE VERSION SO F****** HIDDEN????
    NOW WHERE IS A PRICE????

Thats unbelievable don't you get that is obvious that you have a hidden money grabbing agenda ??

people will hate you for that and it is now so diffuse

once 1Password was so good, now it is like you are trying to suck out people like you would do with a cow.

Community Member

I have to really download 7.0 from your official page instead of App Store.
    And then after ovewritng my functioning 6.xx i will first se THE F***** PRICE????
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

And then when i chose it is to expensive right now, i have to risk another installation and downgrade that piece of moneygrabing still beautiful S****?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@guest - the blog posts announcing both 1Password 7 for Windows and 1Password 7 for Mac included the pricing for standalone licenses, and it was also covered widely in the tech press at launch time. Also, anyone downloading either app will need to either sign in with a 1Password account OR make a purchase of a standalone license, so it's also impossible to miss on first-run there, either:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

brief addendum to the above ^^ - we are still currently in our launch special pricing, meaning that a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Windows is $49.99, over 23% off the full retail price of $64.99. :)

• Dominion
    Dominion
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@guest - the blog posts announcing both 1Password 7 for Windows and 1Password 7 for Mac included the pricing for standalone licenses, and it was also covered widely in the tech press at launch time.

The frustration expressed by @guest is not unwarranted. I was just looking for pricing information for the standalone license and experienced the same frustration. That information should be right there on the Downloads and Pricing pages, not buried in blog posts and press releases.

As a longtime 1Password user I expect better of you. Potential (and returning!) customers are not going to download and install software in order to find out how much it costs. You need to make this information available up front so that people can know their options and make informed decisions before clicking a download button!

• We’re not advertising standalone licenses, but the pricing is listed in each of the announcements that Lars mentioned above.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dominion - new users are encouraged to sign up for 1password.com memberships. While standalone licenses are still supported for those of you longtime users who know what they are and already know you want them, they are no longer being actively advised or promoted as the best way to use 1Password for new users. New users - or anyone who wants to know what 1Password costs can view the details on our pricing page. And if you install 1Password 7 for Mac and choose to purchase a standalone license, you'll see the option - and its cost - right there (in above post's screnshot).

• SpaceshipEatingCat
    SpaceshipEatingCat
    Community Member

It seems acceptable to have major version upgrades e.g 1Password version 7 to 1Password version 8, as being outside a standalone licence, however minor upgrades SHOULD be included in the standalone licence, e.g. 7.1 to 7.2 etc.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@SpaceshipEatingCat Which they are.

• dtw2dc
    dtw2dc
    Community Member

I signed up for the trial December 2016, the trial period was ending so I purchased "1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet" from the Apple App Store for $64.99, February, 2017, and to my surprise it was a standalone and the benefits of the trial did not continue as expected. At that point I have had mediocre performance from version 6 and was always advised to sign up for the membership. Version 7 is the straw that broke the bulls back. I feel ripped off after paying $65 bucks for about 400 days of use for a mediocre product; I truly feel ripped-off. No need to respond with the company line.

• e4xit
    e4xit
    Community Member

I am a 1Password 6 user. I have (begrudgingly) downloaded 1Password 7 to take advantage of the upgrade pricing of $49.99 but the only two options I see are the subscription and the $64.99!!!!! price. How to I access the $49.99 price?

Thanks
    @Lars @Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SpaceshipEatingCat - 1Password follows the standard software licensing model used since...well, as far back as I can remember in the industry: in-version upDATES (such as from 3.4 to 3.5) are free, while full-version upGRADES (such as from 6.7 to 7.0) typically require the purchase of a new license. Hope that helps! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dtw2dc! I'm sorry for the confusion you experienced over a year ago -- we certainly want to make sure people are happy with 1Password. I'm not sure what you mean by "the company line," but we'd like to see what we can do to help make things right for you. If you'll write to sales@1password.com and include a link to this thread, I think we can help figure out what wasn't working for you as well as get you transitioned over to a 1Password membership -- which you wanted in the first place. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.