Generating password for a new app and other issues

aegos
aegos
Community Member

I signed up with a few app like snapchat.

When asked for password, I have an option to "autofill" password.

Then 1password open. I was then asked which account I want to use to "autofill" snapchat.

Wait a minute.

I am creating an account with snapchat. So there is no snapchat record on 1password yet.

There is no option to create a "new entry"

So I go to 1password app, generate password. Now I want to copy the password to my clipboard. Guess what? Can't do that.

Then I go to snapchat insert password.

Somewhere down the line 1password ask if I want to store the password and I did.

I think it asks if I want to store password when I logged in for first time, which mean I have to sign out first and sign in again. I forget.

That's one problem.

Another problem is 1password do not seem to work well with firefox password.

Another problem is 1password seem to save several "records" for the same password. Some with the correct logo. Some have a key as logo.

Why?

With malwarebytes, for example, the email is not even stored. Just the password.

I'll show screenshot after I post this one.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member

I think what should happen is if I am told to enter a new password, I can select autofill from 1password, and then there is an option to pick a new password.

Another issue that I have is 1 password have a bunch extra passwords. Some with a key logged in. I don't know how that happens. Looks like 1password store password first and then we can latter convert that to login?

Also, sometimes I have 2 accounts on binance.com for example. 1 password would ask me if I want to update old password or create a new one.

Hello? The 2 accounts have 2 different email or username. Of course I want to create a new one. Often, I made a mistake and choose the update. I lost my old password. Fortunately firefox stored the old one.

What happened if we accidentally update passwords like that? Does 1password store old passwords?

• Hi @aegos. Thanks for reaching out! Let me explain how saving Logins on Android using Autofill works.

First, your data is encrypted in the app. There's no way to tell whether you have a Login for a given site or app until you decrypt. Because of this, you'll see the 'Autofill with 1Password' prompt for any fillable field, even if you don't already have a Login saved. This way, you can tap that, unlock 1Password and decrypt your data, and find out if there is any Login available to fill. There's no way to tell that you don't have a Login saved until you unlock the app, as your data is decrypted until then.

As to saving the Login, you should indeed be able to copy and paste. Can you elaborate on the trouble you had with that?

That said, every time you generate a password, you can potentially create two items from that. Every generated password is automatically saved to the Passwords category (these are the ones with the key icon you mentioned). This way, if the Login fails to save for some reason, you will still have a record of the password so you don't get locked out of that account. If you then go ahead and save a Login item for the account (the one showing the username, website field, and account icon), you'll have another item for that account. You can delete the Password items if you don't need them.

Regarding your second question, your password history is saved in each item, so if you accidentally update an item, you can search the 'previously used passwords' section for it and recover it from there.

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member

I see that's fine.

What I want is say I am generating a password. Some app or site ask me, what password you want to use for this app, for example

I will login to 1password.

Find that I do not have account for that app yet in 1password. That far is fine.

There should be an option where I can select generate password and that newly generated password should be the one inserted to the app.

What happens now is, I do not find an entry in 1password for that app. And that's it. I got to switch to 1password app, generate password, and copy that to the app.

As far as I know copying it is tricky too. Let me check.

• I see. Thanks for the clarification, @aegos. We'd definitely love to improve the whole Login creation process if possible, and I'll share your feedback with the team!

This discussion has been closed.