I want to install 1password 7 - ipassword 6 mini won't close, so new ipassword 7 wont install

bob1password
bob1password
Community Member

I want to install 1password 7 - but 1password 6 mini won't/can't close, so new ipassword 7 wont install.

how do i get past this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The trouble is that the normal cmd-Q quits the main 1PW but not the mini. Ctrl-option-cmd-Q should quit COMPLETELY, that is quitting both 1PW itself and the Mini. That should be what you need.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bob1password - sorry for the difficulty. @danco is right on the money; you need to FULLY close 1Password before you can update. This has actually been addressed in the most recent version, so once you get to that one, you shouldn't need to do this in the future...but you'll need to do it to get to this version. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and that should take care of it, but let us know if not.

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

Thanks - was able to shut down 1password.

But....

"The installation failed.
    The Installer encountered an error that caused the
    installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer
    for assistance."

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bob1password - in that case, can you please tell us what specific version of 1Password for Mac you're trying to install, what version (if any) you previously had installed (specific version), along with what specific version of macOS you're using? Thanks.

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

1Password-7.2.1.pkg

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
    AgileBits Store

macOS High Sierra
    version 10.13.6

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

000ps

1password 7 mini and 1 password are now showing up as installed.

Mini asked for login stuff - which I do not have the info to fill in.

Please note that the old 1password 6 was licensed version - but the license number is not viewable now.

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

Total mess.

Now screen is locked with (see attached)

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

And now, is completely read-only.

And you can move the window out of the way so you can manually write in log-in info in the browser window.

Please tell me how to revert to old version, while you work out the kinks in 1password 7

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

And now, is completely read-only.

And now you CAN'T move the window out of the way so you can manually write in log-in info in the browser window.

Please tell me how to revert to old version, while you work out the kinks in 1password 7

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

And... I can't edit anything.

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

Please.

I use 1password a lot.

But with this new version, nothing is working correctly.

How can I revert back?

Thank you.

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

I bought a license for 1password 6 on 1/2/16. Order number 13551088.

Attached is pic of license file.

Can you help me get the new version of 1password 7 to work?

Or tell me how to revert to older version.

Please.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@bob1password

• 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade--for either a license or a subscription.
    • Licenses for 1Password 7 are only available via the AgileBits version of 1Password 7.
    • Fully quit 1Password 7 (Cmd-Opt-Cntrl-q) then drag to the Trash and empty it. As long as you don't use any "App Cleaners" your data should be fine.
    • You should have a zipped version of your old 1Password 6 in your Applications folder. Unzip and resume using 1Password 6 as before. hth
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bob1password: Indeed, if you purchased 1Password 6, while you can continue using that, a 1Password 7 license is a separate purchase. It also sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

If you just want to revert to 1Password 6, the 1Password 7 installation process will have left that in your Applications folder. Just drag 1Password 7 to the Trash, restart your Mac, and then unzip 1Password 6 and you'll be right back where you started. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• draina
    draina
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I have the family membership. I understand 1Password is for a membership but I thought my family membership with the license is included for a free upgrade. When I try and access my license via 1Password I get read only.

• draina
    draina
    Community Member

It's okay no need to respond. I've read through the notes and realize it is a paid monthly upgrade and separate license. I will follow the instructions to go back to version 6.

• bob1password
    bob1password
    Community Member

Revert to version 6 worked.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@draina (and @bob1password) - glad you were able to get things figured out. While you're free to use 1Password as you see fit, a word of caution: we can't recommend reverting to a previous version as a long-term strategy. Legacy versions such as the recently-retired 1Password 6 for Mac are of course always fine to use in the immediate wake of a new version...because it hasn't been that long since the new version was released, and the older one is still pretty current. But as time passes and the older version doesn't receive development attention, the incompatibilities and chances for problems - even significant ones - grow. You wouldn't want to try running version 3 on current hardware and macOS, for example. 1Password 7 for Mac was released only in May of this year, and we've already seen a new full version of macOS released since that time, which 1Password 6 for Mac hasn't been and won't be updated for. In the limited testing I've done myself, 1Password 6 for Mac works in Mojave...but I can't guarantee for how much longer that will remain true because no one really knows what changes might be coming in the future. The only thing we can predict for sure is that there will be changes, and that 1Password 6 for Mac (and earlier versions) won't be updated for those changes.

• draina
    draina
    Community Member

Thank you Lars The updates makes sense, that version 6 will be left behind. I still wonder though since I paid for a family membership whether that qualifies for the free upgrade to 7. When I read about the update it sounded like it was for membership and family membership. . I hate to be obsolete so soon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@draina - if you have a 1password.com membership, then you get all our current apps free of any additional charge -- and that includes all future upgrades for as long as you maintain your membership. But a 1password.com membership is not the same thing as a standalone license. Licenses are purchased per-person, per-platform and per-version. Meaning: you buy a license for 1Password 6 for Mac, for example, and that entitles you personally (and only you) to install and use version 6 of 1Password for Mac on as many Macs as you own/use. It doesn't give you unlimited access to future upgrades, and it doesn't license anyone but you, nor does it mean you have a license for the Windows version of 1Password either. Does that make sense? If you have a 1password.com membership, you should be able to simply Check for Updates within 1Password for Mac, download the latest version without charge, and continue right along. Do you remember what you purchased, and (roughly) when?

• draina
    draina
    Community Member

Hi Lars, my apologies for taking so long to respond, I have been traveling and having dodgy internet access. I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate about licenses. I upgraded from a single membership to a family membership (can be used by 5 people) November 27, 2013. License 1Password for Mac. I tried to add a screenshot but when I drag it in it becomes a link. The Registration window says "You are licensed" with a celebration emoji :) I was under the impression with this license I would get all upgrade which is why I wondered what happened with 1Password 7 I hope my 1Password 6 is not going to becoming obsolete.I appreciate you helping me understand. Chris

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad Lars was able to help. Indeed, a 1Password license is valid for a single person for the specific version purchased. 1Password 6 will almost certainly become obsolete in time as OS and browser changes happen. Already Safari 12 will not work with it going forward. But it won't happen overnight probably.

• draina
    draina
    Community Member

Hi Lars, my apologies for taking so long to respond, I have been traveling and having dodgy internet access. I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate about licenses. I upgraded from a single membership to a family membership (can be used by 5 people) November 27, 2013. License 1Password for Mac. I tried to add a screenshot but when I drag it in it becomes a link. The Registration window says "You are licensed" with a celebration emoji :) I was under the impression with this license I would get all upgrade which is why I wondered what happened with 1Password 7 I hope my 1Password 6 is not going to becoming obsolete.I appreciate you helping me understand. Chris

• draina
    draina
    Community Member

Sorry I posted twice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@draina: Indeed, sorry for the confusion there. If you purchased a license, while it does not expire and you can continue to use that for as long as you wish, it's valid only for the specific version you purchased; it will not work for other versions of 1Password. You also wouldn't have a membership in that case. If you'd like to purchase the new version, you can buy a license for each person who needs to use it, but it's probably easier and cheaper to sign up for a 1Password Families membership, since that includes all of the apps for up to 5 family members in the base price. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.