Delete local Vault in 1Password 7

Options
son1c
son1c
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi,

how can i delete the local primary Vault?

cu

Michael

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version:
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.3
Sync Type:Not Provided

Comments

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem on my wife's computer. I'd like to delete it entirely. Right-clicking doesn't do anything. Thanks.

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @son1c and @dtoub! You can delete your Primary vault from 1Password 7's preferences:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 7.
    2. Click 1Password > Preferences, then click Advanced.
    3. Uncheck "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".

Hope that helps! :sunglasses:

• son1c
    son1c
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jacob ,

The checkbox is gray out, so i can't uncheck it.

• rudy
    Options

@son1c,

Is there a line of text below it that indicates that you need to remove secondary local vaults before you can turn off the primary vault?

Rudy

• son1c
    son1c
    Community Member
    Options

No,

But i can only uncheck the vaults from preferences > Vaults. Not delete them

• rudy
    Options

@son1c,

Do you only have local vaults? or do you have a 1Password.com account signed in on the Accounts tab?

Rudy

• son1c
    son1c
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, only local vaults. i have no 1password.com account.

• rudy
    edited March 2018
    Options

@son1c,

Then I'm confused... what you're trying to do; are you trying to start over with a fresh configuration?

Rudy

• son1c
    son1c
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, i want try to import my 1password6 vaults, but after i delete and reinstalled 1password7 it uses the old config from the previous installation.

• rudy
    edited March 2018
    Options

@son1c,

Thanks for clarifying; to completely start over 1Password 7 you will want to choose Help -> Troubleshooting -> Reset all 1Password Data in order to reset what 1Password 7 uses.

Rudy

• son1c
    son1c
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy ,

thats what i am looking for :)

Thank you !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@son1c - on rudy's behalf, you're quite welcome; glad he was able to get you what you needed. :)

• ParadaVault
    ParadaVault
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue.

I have a primary vault that is synced via Dropbox. I was experimenting and trying to create a second vault in my dropbox account, and was unable to do so. In the process, I created a vault on my Mac called "test" that I am now unable to delete.

Any ideas on how to delete the test vault?

• Ben
    Options

@ParadaVault

Choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > test.
    Choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault.

I hope that helps.

Ben

• ParadaVault
    ParadaVault
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• pupinko
    pupinko
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I'm not sure, why, but this option is not available in my version of 1password in the 1password menu. I switched to the family account this year and have all passwords in this account meanwhile. So, I don't need the local vaults anymore.

My version is 7.1.2

Can you help?

Thanks Harald

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pupinko - you have both a 1password.com account signed in and at least one local vault? If you have more than one standalone (local) vault, you'll need to delete the Primary vault last. Delete all other secondary vaults first using the method Ben outlined above, then you'll be able to do the same thing with the Primary vault.

• pupinko
    pupinko
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, thanks for your feedback. I tried this several times, but I did not have this option "Delete Vault" available. Meanwhile, I did a fresh install of my computer for some other reasons and now my old local vaults are not visible anymore by itself. Suppose, I deleted it some time ago, already and it was just hanging some visible representation of it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pupinko - I'm a little unclear on where you stand right now; if you're all set with only your 1password.com vaults and you don't think you need anything further, then I'm comfortable with leaving things there if you are. Let us know if you still need assistance, however! :)

• pupinko
    pupinko
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, all fine now, I got, what I wanted, no more local vaults. Just was wondering about, as it was happening by sudden.

Thanks again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pupinko - glad to hear it! :) :+1:

• fbutter
    fbutter
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

„1. Open and unlock 1Password 7.
    2. Click 1Password > Preferences, then click Advanced.
    3. Uncheck "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".“

No such option on my devices. I have exactly the same problem. There are test vaults not needed anymore and I see no way to delete it. I would expect you could delete them right where they are created. As in any other user interface... I checked advanced options, but can‘t find any option described here...

• rudy
    Options

@fbutter,

In the main window switch to the particular vault you want to delete and then choose the Delete Vault… menu item under the Vault menu, that should let you remove those vaults, after which you can follow the instructions you quoted in your post to remove the primary vault.

This discussion has been closed.