Auto fill doesn’t show existing password just new login option

Options
Homerj222
Homerj222
Community Member

Frequently 1password on iOS 12 autofill will only show a new login option. But I have a password for that site or app.
How do I get 1password to recognize that there is already a password. I’m ready to give up on this feature and just copy paste
like always.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Homerj222

Do the sites you're having trouble using Password AutoFill with work with the 1Password Safari extension on iOS?

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone and iPad

Please let me know.

Ben

• Homerj222
    Homerj222
    Community Member
    Options

If the autofill fails the share sheet fails too. It’s a fifty fifty it will work. I’m sure it’s because the url has a tiny difference or something. I wish that 1password would just give access to all passwords not just the one for that site or new login option.

• Ben
    Options

I understand that desire but there are good reasons why we don't do that (largely to help prevent phishing). If both Password AutoFill and the Safari extension are not showing the login, you're likely correct that you need to update the URL, or add an additional URL, for those items.

Ben

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member
    Options

Can I jump on to this? I have an app where autofill doesn't know what login I want, but when I go to the website that is stored with that login, it works fine. How can I tell 1Password that this app is also for this login?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @maquinn78

That is actually something the app in question would have to do. As of iOS 12 all apps are expected to define an "associated domain." Unfortunately not all apps have been updated with this yet. Information that can help app developers implement this is available here:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/password_autofill/setting_up_an_app_s_associated_domains

Associated domains are how Password AutoFill knows that a login item is for a particular app.

Ben

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member
    Options

Ugh. I wish this could also be user driven but I assume that’s Apples fault not 1Passwords. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

It is a function of Password AutoFill, not 1Password. :+1:

Ben

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry @Ben one more question, why can't I search then? I can't search for the login either. Does apple not allow that in apps?

• Ben
    Options

You should be able to search. Which app is this problem happening with?

Ben

• maquinn78
    maquinn78
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben it's Credit One Bank app. This is what I see when I use autofil in the app. It's using a different URL than what I have in 1Password and I can't search.

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Right, in that case you'd need to add a website field with that URL (https://creditonemail.com) to your login item. That's working as intended. You'll only be able to search if they do not define a URL.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.