To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

License to Subscription Issue

Options
meancody
meancody
Community Member

I have a license for 1Password 6 and want to move to a subscription for 1Password 7. I tried to sign up using the "Subscribe Today" button, but when I entered my email address, I got the error "An account with this email address already exists. Please go back and choose the sign in option to use your existing account, or enter a different email address." I went back and selected "Already have a membership? Sign in." At that point I was given the option to Scan Setup Code or Enter account details manually. I tried the manual button and it asks for a "Secret Key." I didn't know where to find this, so I searched and it says that licenses don't have a secret key. I am unsure what to do next. I don't want to use another email address.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Chris_Gargano
    Chris_Gargano
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same type of issue. Just bought a Mac and tried to transfer my 1 password Lifetime stand alone license purchased in 2015 or so ... I have the license code) to the Mac. Downloaded 1 password for Mac and moved files from my dropbox to the app. Everything seems to be there but when I hit a "location" it does not go to website. Tried help and website but it asks for secret code to sign in .... I have a "lifetime" stand alone license .... which has no secret code. I am in the secret code death loop that is mentioned multiple times on line. Do I need to down load a previous version of 1 password or is Version 7 Mac compatible with my license??? I sent an email yesterday but no response yet so I am trying the forum. Please respond ... hopefully a lifetime license truly lasts beyond 3-4 year.
    In one of the online posts the 1 password rep said that version 6 (PC) was not compatible with licenses but version 7 would be ... they provided a link to re-download the Ver 4 PC to address the issue in the short term for the PC problem.... not sure if this is an option on the Mac side.
    Let me know,
    Chris

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Chris_Gargano: Sorry for the confusion. We have never sold a "lifetime" anything. The license you purchased will never expire, but it only applies to the specific version you paid for.

It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account though, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

I've resent your license information via email, so just follow the instructions there to install register the app you purchased.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, let us know if you have any questions. :)

• Chris_Gargano
    Chris_Gargano
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty ... we are making progress .... (By the way "lifetime license" and "never expire license" seem very similar and you did sell it to me) ... in any case ... I have done as instructed and have the appropriate version of 1 Password for Mac on my device. Data is present and now 1 Password will go to the websites but it will not fill in any data. I checked the individual data applied to the websites and it is there and correct. I enabled the "mini" and running in the background when asked.
    Am I missing something?
    Chris

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi @Chris_Gargano

It sounds like you may be missing the extension for your browser, which can be downloaded from our downloads page:

Download for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux | 1Password

Please note you want the 1Password Extension (on the right), not 1Password X. The latter only works with 1Password memberships.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Chris_Gargano
    Chris_Gargano
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty ... we are making progress .... (By the way "lifetime license" and "never expire license" seem very similar and you did sell it to me) ... in any case ... I have done as instructed and have the appropriate version of 1 Password for Mac on my device. Data is present and now 1 Password will go to the websites but it will not fill in any data. I checked the individual data applied to the websites and it is there and correct. I enabled the "mini" and running in the background when asked.
    Am I missing something?
    Chris

• Chris_Gargano
    Chris_Gargano
    Community Member
    Options

Stupid question ... which is for Safari ... the O I assume.

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I see that the other person was helped with his problem, but my problem, the one that started this message, was skipped. Can someone help me?

• Ben
    Options

Safari is a little different... it is currently possible to install the 1Password Safari extension from Apple Safari Extension Gallery, however the Extension Gallery has been depricated and later this year it will no longer accept submissions. At that time it appears the only way forward will be 1Password 7, which includes our new Safari App Extension.

Support for .safariextz-style Safari Extensions installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery is deprecated with Safari 12 on macOS. Submissions to the Safari Extensions Gallery will no longer be accepted after December 2018. Developers are encouraged to transition to Safari App Extensions.

(from https://developer.apple.com/safari/whats-new/ )

Alternatively, at that point if you still aren’t ready to upgrade to 1Password 7, you could use a different web browser.

Long story short: for right now you can install the 1Password extension for Safari here: https://safari-extensions.apple.com

Ben

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Can you help me with my issue?

• Chris_Gargano
    Chris_Gargano
    Community Member
    Options

I got it and it is all functioning correctly ...
    Thanks,
    Chris

• Ben
    Options

Hi @meancody

Sorry about that. It sounds like you signed up for a trial membership of 1Password at some point in the past. Our sales team can help you delete that. Please reach out to them at sales@1password.com and then post the support ID you receive here.

Thanks.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@Chris_Gargano

Thanks for the update. :+1:

Ben

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I received an automated email with this ID: TJV-78428-194. Is that what you were looking for?

• Ben
    Options

That’s the one. Thanks @meancody.

Ben

• meancody
    meancody
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I deleted it and was able to set up my subscription. Thanks so much for your help!

• Laura000
    Laura000
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I'm having the same issues as Chris_Gargano where I purchased a license for 1Password 5 in 2015 and now I'm not able to login to the license on my new mac computer. I'm confused on what I have to do. Do I have to download the 1Password 5 in order to use my license or will this be compatible with the 1Password 7 app. I currently have the 1Password7 app on my new mac and it says in order to add a license it needs to physically live on my computer. I've never downloaded the license when I bought it. How do I do this? Also what are the differences with staying with my current license or upgrading to a membership?

• Ben
    Options

You’re very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Laura000
    Laura000
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I'm having the same issues as Chris_Gargano where I purchased a license for 1Password 5 in 2015 and now I'm not able to login to the license on my new mac computer. I'm confused on what I have to do. Do I have to download the 1Password 5 in order to use my license or will this be compatible with the 1Password 7 app. I currently have the 1Password7 app on my new mac and it says in order to add a license it needs to physically live on my computer. I've never downloaded the license when I bought it. How do I do this? Also what are the differences with staying with my current license or upgrading to a membership?

• Ben
    Options

@Laura000

The latest version a 1Password 5 for Mac license will work for is v6. Licenses never expire, so you can continue using that version for as long as you’d like, but that should be considered a temporary solution. 1Password 6 is no longer being updated, so it is entirely possible (likely even) that future updates to your operating system and web browsers will not be compatible with it. Moving to 1Password 7 requires either a 1Password membership (recommended) or a new license purchase. You can read more about the upgrade to v7 (including pricing for licenses) here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

The pricing options for membership can be seen here:

Pricing & free trial | 1Password

Membership has a number of advantages including:

• The latest versions of 1Password are included for all of your compatible devices
    • With 1Password Families membership you can choose to share some data with your family members
    • Hastle free “zero configuration” syncing across all of your devices — just sign in to your membership on each device and you’ll have access to your 1Password data

If you’re going to revert to 1Password 6 for Mac (again this should be considered a temporary measure) instructions for that can be found here.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Brian_Davis
    Brian_Davis
    Community Member
    Options

Similar situation for me. I have a license which allows me to have 1P6 on my Mac. I am trying to upgrade to a 1P7 membership account. Unfortunately, I did a trial of an account in the past. I need my trial account deleted, so I can create a new 1P7 account. I kept the secret key from my trial account, but I have no idea what master password I used. I sent an email to Support (#XGY-67718-932,) but would really appreciate some help in speeding the deletion of the trail account. For some reason I am now getting a Trial Expired message in my 1P6 which was purchased from the Mac App Store. Very messy!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for including the Support ID! I'll get back to you via email shortly.

ref: XGY-67718-932

• Brian_Davis
    Brian_Davis
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty many thanks for your email. I have replied in email confirming I won't lose any data when you delete my account. Please proceed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks. Let's continue the conversation there. :)

• muzh
    muzh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I also recently converted to subscription model and that worked fine on the Mac app v7. However when I try to use any browser extensions (so far tried brave, runs on chromium, and Firefox), it instead launches the mini (menu bar version). In Firefox I tried the debugging button in the settings but that didn’t do anything useful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@muzh: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, do have the browser and 1Password installed in the system /Applications folder? Thanks in advance! :)

• tingfuluen
    tingfuluen
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty can you please assist:

1Password
    Version 6.8.8 (688001)
    Mac App Store

I purchased from app store and I no longer have an account... and dont have secret key

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tingfuluen: If you purchased the 1Password app, you won't have an account. It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tingfuluen
    tingfuluen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty ... Narrowed down the issue.. its happening on my new phone... Pixel 3 when I downloaded the 1Password app on android

When I try to add another login from my phone I get an error saying that I'm on a trial. How do I resolve this issue?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tingfuluen: Did you purchase the Pro Features in 1Password or Android?

• tingfuluen
    tingfuluen
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    Not sure I purchased this:

1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet

that is what is shown from my apple receipt

from Apple App Store in 2015

And I just installed what was displayed in google android store for my pixel 3

This discussion has been closed.