1password 4 stopped working - Chrome on windows 10

I purchased a license for 1Password 4 and it has been working fine until today. When I click the icon in Chrome, nothing happens. I searched for help and then downloaded 1Password 7. I also read in the forum that I need to uninstall 1Password 4, but if I do that I will lose all my logins in my vault right? Why did this just stop working? Can I save my logins from the older version? I still have both versions installed and understand that they don't work together. Please tell me how to save my logins from 1Password 4 before I uninstall it to use the newer version. Thank you!
Karene

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Hi @klees,

Thanks for writing in.

Just to be clear, what you've been reading is for 1Password 7 customers that have 1Password 4 installed, you can't have both versions installed at the same time, they can interfere with the extension. The fix is to remove 1Password 4 in that situation, which does work. For 1Password 4 customers without a license for 1Password 7, the fix is not applicable. 1Password 4 still works fine with 1Password extension in Chrome, there may be a different reason you're having an issue with Chrome.

also read in the forum that I need to uninstall 1Password 4, but if I do that I will lose all my logins in my vault right?

No, your 1Password data will not be touched when you uninstall 1Password. The 1Password 4 vaults and its backups will remain.

You can reopen the same vault in 1Password 7, it will offer to upgrade the format if you're not using the OPVault format. If you are using that format, 1Password 7 will open it right away.

Note that 1Password 7 will require a new license, there is no free upgrade for 1Password 4 purchases. You can still use the same vault in 1Password 7 in the read-only mode and while you're in that mode, you can try use the 1Password extension in Chrome to see if it works.

• klees
    klees
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply MikeT. I've uninstalled 1Password 7, removed the 1Password extension from Chrome, installed the extension back into Chrome and restarted my computer. The 1Password extension still does not work. The 1Password extension version is 4.7.3.90. What else can I do?

• klees
    klees
    Community Member

Nevermind. I accidentally discovered I had to authorize the extension to work with my 1Password. It's working now.

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Yep, I'm glad to hear that.

You may want to switch 1Password 4 to use Native Messaging protocol for the 1Password extension, that will switch it to an improved automatic authorization process.

To do this, open 1Password 4 and go to Help Menu > Advanced > Use Native Messaging Protocol. Then Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper and restart Chrome, that should be all you need to do.

This discussion has been closed.