iOS 11.4 offloaded the app... get "Can't Download" error when trying to reinstall

DDeast
DDeast
Community Member

My 1Password app was "offloaded" on my iPhone 6 plus/iOS 11.4. NOTE: even though I use 1Password all the time (this iOS feature in intended to offload less used apps to create space on the phone). The app is showing a little iCloud picture next to it (meaning if was offloaded and not deleted, so data for the app should still remain on the phone). I have no idea what version of the app I have, but the app was working fine on iOS 11.4 prior to this offload so I can't see why the version of the app would be a problem. I am very concerned for my access to my passwords! I had downloaded the app to my iPad at some point and it says I don't have to put a Secret Key if I purchased the app in the past, but I don't see how you can access the app without a secret key (which I don't think I have). Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:iOS 11 offload of app - now unable to download app

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2018

Hi @DDeast

Without a 1Password subscription membership you wouldn’t have a Secret Key, and we do not hold your data. If you’d like to access your data from various devices you’d need to set up syncing.

Sync your 1Password data

The current version of 1Password for iOS requires iOS 12, so you’d need to upgrade in order to install. Fortunately the iPhone 6 Plus is more than capable of running it.

I hope that helps!

Be

• aplenysloftman
    aplenysloftman
    Community Member

@DDeast, did Ben's suggestion work? I have exactly the same problem (except I have an iPhone 6, not plus). It is currently running iOS 11.4.1. I'm afraid to upgrade the iOS with the app un-accessible (as yours was - with the pic of the cloud next to it) for fear in the process the app gets completely deleted (gasp!). I am in a mild panic. Oh - btw, when I click the icon to re-download/re-install, it shows progress up to about 80% and then just stops. No error message. Just back to screen, icon with cloud next to it. Thanks for any advice/help!

• @aplenysloftman

Have you tried restarting your iPhone since this difficulty began?

Ben

• aplenysloftman
    aplenysloftman
    Community Member

Yes. Still same situation. Last night my husband said he was pretty sure he did set up sync'ing for me when we started using 1Password. He downloaded the app to my iPad and to my huge relief my data was all there, as well. I'm much more comfortable now updating the iOS on my phone and downloading the new version of 1PW. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@aplenysloftman: It sounds like you may be all set, but just to confirm, did you maybe update from an older version of iOS recently? Thanks for getting in touch! Since you didn't include many details in your message, I don't want to assume anything. Is this the situation you're in? https://1pw.ca/iOS11OPI3

• aplenysloftman
    aplenysloftman
    Community Member

Thanks, brenty. I saw that post yesterday as I researched my issue. From the looks of the icon on my phone and those on the post, it looks like I have 1Password 5 (or maybe 1Password 4.5).
    I didn't upgrade iOS that recently, but I can't confirm whether or not I had successfully used 1PW with it before the phone had "offloaded" the app to the cloud.
    If you see this and think I need to do something special before downloading iOS 12, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll go ahead and update the iOS then download the (most current?) version of 1PW to the phone. I'm hoping the data will come down with it, but if you know otherwise please advise!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aplenysloftman: Sounds good. If you've got 1Password on your iPhone currently and can access your data there under iOS 11, you'll have no problem updating to iOS 12. Just wanted to make sure you didn't have some other issue. :)

• mbouchard
    mbouchard
    Community Member

I am having the same issue. I've been using 1 Password for years, but do not have syncing turned on. Recently iOS 11.3 on iPhone 6 offloaded 1 Password. Now when I try to reinstall, I get about 3/4 through before it fails. I've tried restarting phone and still no luck. I'm worried that if I download the latest 1 Password or update iOS I'll lose all my passwords. Not sure how to proceed and hoping there's a solution out here.

• Hi @mbouchard

Have you tried from a different internet connection (e.g. LTE vs Wi-Fi)?

Ben

• mbouchard
    mbouchard
    Community Member

I have with the same results.

• @mbouchard

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we don't have any control over or insight into the download process when it comes to downloading apps from the App Store. At this point I'd recommend reaching out to the App Store team at Apple for assistance. They may be aware of some troubleshooting step which I am not.

Apple - Support - Product Selection

It looks like the path to get to the right people is:

Apps & Software > App Store > Connecting and Downloading > Downloading and installing purchased apps

Please let me know what their response is.

Ben

• mbouchard
    mbouchard
    Community Member

Solved it. Instead of simply clicking on the the icon to reinstall 1Password, I got to it through the App Store app. From App Store, clicked on Updates. Then my profile picture. Then on Purchased >. I scrolled down the list to find 1Password. The 1Password app had the cloud icon next to it. I clicked to download and was promoted with a message stating that the current version of 1Password only runs on iOS 12, download an older version? I agreed and the app was reinstalled completely, along with all my password! Whew.

So it appears that reinstalling from the home screen interface only tries the latest version of the app, which in my case was not compatible with my iOS version. The install failed. Installing from the App Store was smart enough to detect I needed an older version.

• Interesting! Thank you for the update. I'll have to keep that in mind. Glad to hear you were able to find a solution. That said, we'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. Also, you may want to consider disabling app offloading at this point, to avoid this sort of trouble in the future.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.