To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Local Backups

Options
dguskov
dguskov
Community Member

Hello!

As I understand it in the case of membership use - no local backup copies are made for the vaults on Mac.

There are many reasons for this. 1Password.com service stability, local cache for applications, etc.

The question is:

If, in the event of any disaster, I restore the ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits directory from a backup, will it be enough for the application to read the local cache from it and show me the contents of my vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dguskov

As with any backup method it only holds water if it has been tested. I’d recommend testing it. :)

1. Make sure you know your 1Password credentials by logging in at https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new
    2. Make a backup of that folder
    3. Reset 1Password for Mac (1Password lock screen > Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data)
    4. Disconnect from the internet (to simulate an outage or what-have-you)
    5. Restore the backup
    6. See if you can access the data

Please let us know how it turns out. :+1:

Ben

• dguskov
    dguskov
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi @Ben !

Yes, it's works.

I make clean install macOS (in virtual environment). Clean install 1Password 7.2.1 (I do not login to my account and 1Password proposed me start trial period or login).

Turn off any network access.

Restore ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits from backup. I use Time Machine for local backups and Arq for offsite backups.

I launched 1Password, and it accepts my master password, and I can see and export all my records.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Glad to hear it. And now that you’ve tested it in your own environment you can be fairly confident in it as a solution. :) Of course, as they say... one copy is zero, two copies is one, three copies is two, etc.

Ben

• dguskov
    dguskov
    Community Member
    Options

I use rule 3-2-1.
    Three copies. In two different formats and media, and at least 1 copy offsite. And regularly check backups.

Cloud is good but I remember, for example, about the problem of GitLab outage or Amazon AWS S3 outage.

No one is perfect, take care of yourself.

• Ben
    Options

That’s a good rule. :+1:

Thanks. Enjoy.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.