Safari extension missing

grahamw
grahamw
Community Member

Hi,
I am running 7.2.2 BETA 2 of 1Password and I have just noticed that my safari extension icon is gone on the browser toolbar. I have tried going in to customise toolbar, but there is no 1Password icon there. I have downloaded and installed the 1Password 7 download that says it includes the safari extension (since it looks like there is no longer the option to just install the extension by itself) and it installed fine, I got back into 1Password (it did an update to the above version) and restarted Safari. Still no icon or option to add the icon.

Any idea?

1Password Version: 7.2.2 BETA 2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nickdring
    nickdring
    Community Member

I have exactly the same issue on multiple macs.

• grahamw
    grahamw
    Community Member

Found the solution in another post:

To activate the safari extension, just open Safari Preferences > Extensions and enable 1Password

Perhaps this should also be mentioned on the "Browser Extensions" page where it says "1Password for Mac
    Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.6 or later. Includes Safari extension." This would have saved me the confusion and time to try to figure it out.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@grahamw - glad you solved the issue, and sorry for the delay in my reply; we're working through a bit of a backlog to get back to our usual quicker response times. Yes, in 7.2 and forward, the 1Password extension for Safari is installed directly with the app itself. But it may require you turn it on in Safari's Preferences > Extensions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nickdring - I'm sorry for the trouble! You included a screenshot of what appears to be version 7.1.2...but not from which device that's taken from. Everything before version 7.2 (or 7.2.1 on the Mac App Store) will still be using the older-style .safariextz extension that you download from the Safari Extensions Gallery. The new Safari App Extension ships with version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac and requires Safari 12. You can still install the older version from the Safari Extensions Gallery...but it won't work in version 7.2 and beyond. Which versions do you have on all your devices (macOS, 1Password and the 1Password extension)?

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member

Wow... I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to enable the Safari extension only to find out here that it's not available without Mojave?? All the web pages I've seen and other forum posts don't make the faintest hint that 7.1.2 needs to use the old version, and this is the only place I found the link to the correct extension. I'm absolutely flabbergasted by this user experience from you guys. I just don’t even know what to say...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@invictus26 - I'm sorry for the confusion! To be clear, version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac does not require Mojave specifically, but since it uses the new Safari App Extension format Apple has switched to in Safari 12, it does require that version of Safari. That's part of the reason why we have not yet made 7.2 available via auto-update in our version of 1Password 7 for Mac to people on macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) and earlier. Safari 12 comes bundled with Mojave, but it's still an optional install for people on earlier versions of macOS, and we know often users will not update to a new version of core software like that until they upgrade the OS. So we've been holding off -- and interestingly, getting flak for that, too. ;) The Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac, of course, gets updated to 7.2 because we can't tell Apple to differentiate between those on Mojave and those still on earlier versions of macOS.

For what it's worth, our release notes for version 7.2 do say prominently that it includes the Safari App Extension, both in the tl;dr:

Using 1Password in Safari has never been easier than with our brand new Safari App Extension, built right in.

...and down in the main body of the notes:

Let’s go on a Safari
    Starting today 1Password has built-in support for the Safari web browser, meaning you’ll never again have to install a separate browser extension to fill your passwords, credit cards, and personal information while browsing the web.

I'm guessing you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac and you also have yet to upgrade to Mojave OR Safari 12 via the Mac App Store? If that's correct, I'm certainly sorry for the confusion, but I hope you can see why we don't include a specific warning about such a unique setup in the release notes: it would be either just confusing for most people (or possibly cause additional problems for some), or simply be overlooked. Our recommendation as a general rule is for users to stay up-to-date with not only our own software but also versions of their browser and especially macOS.

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I'm on the direct version, version 7.1.2, so I didn't see anything in the release notes. My situation is that I got a new computer that came with High Sierra, installed 1Password, and then tried to use it in Safari. The 1Password mini window popped up and said I needed to in stall the Safari extension, with a button that took me to a page with no Safari option. I was vaguely aware that you were moving to built-in extensions for Safari, so I spent a while trying to get that working.

I don't think my situation is so rare. Mojave was released pretty recently, and it's not a bad idea to wait for a point release or two to make sure it's stable and all apps are updated. So anyone who is trying to set up 1Password for the first time on High Sierra is going to have a broken experience (unless I'm missing something).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@invictus26 - perhaps it's me who's missing something. If you're on version 7.1.2, you are NOT using the Safari App Extension that's used in Safari 12. If you install 7.1.2 into macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”), you should be able to run the older 4.7.3.90 extension quite smoothly.

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member

Yes, I can run the extension, but how do I get it? Like I said, 1Password mini pops up and presents a link to your extensions page, which excludes Safari. I guess it should instead link to the safari gallery page.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Currently, Apple allows extensions from their Extension Gallery, but even this will go away soon. Try https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@invictus26 - ah, thanks for the clarification. Apple has moved away from the older-style .safariextz extensions in version 12, in favor of their new Safari App Extensions. The latter is what version 7.2 ships with. As part of that deprecation, Apple has already banned the direct download of older style extensions from developers, meaning you cannot download our version directly from us. The only outlet Apple allows installation of the previous (4.7.3.90) version of our extension from is their own Safari Extensions Gallery. That's why our own extensions download page no longer features Safari. Hope that helps. By the way, Safari will be retiring the Safari Extensions Gallery sometime around the end of this year, if you're interested, and I don't know (because they haven't said) whether that will mean they will formally ban .safariextz extensions in Safari 12 and beyond...but it wouldn't be out of the question, since there would at that point be no way to install them anyway.

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member

So I guess my point is that this isn't a rare situation, and that it would be nice to add something on the extension page or the 1P mini notice. You could even just have a link to correct page in the extension gallery like was posted above. Maybe I'm not explaining things well or something, but this seems like pretty basic UX stuff...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@invictus26 - thanks for the feedback. :)

• LRogers
    LRogers
    Community Member

I'm using 7.2.5 and 1password has quit working in Safari 12.0.3. In Safari preferences > extensions there is no mention of 1password. During the last update I was asked to enable 1password as a safari extension which I did. No joy. Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@LRogers - please restart your Mac.

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member

I just tried to install the extension for Safari and followed the steps. But, when I got to Extensions in the preferences, there wasn't any 1password extension listed. When I went to your website, it says that the extension comes with 1Password 7. I couldn't find it. And, it didn't show up in the Safari extensions available. I'm using Safari 12.0.3 and my OS is Mojave 10.14.3. It is a brand new iMac. Luckily, you gave a direct link to install the extension and that did it. But, you should know, that I would never have been able to find it, if I hadn't found this thread.

• @outtacontext

You should not be using the 1Password extension (v4.x) from the Safari Extension Gallery with 1Password 7 / Safari 12 / Mojave. I'm surprised that works at all, and it likely won't in the future. If 1Password 7 does not appear in Safari > Preferences > Extensions after installing 1Password 7 for Mac please restart the Mac.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.