Auto Login is no longer possible?

viniciusmi00
viniciusmi00
Community Member

Auto Login is no longer possible?

Hello everyone.
I am using version 7.2.1 of 1Password with monthly subscription through the App Store, syncing with 1password.com. Some versions that sites no longer automatically login after I use the 1Password extension in Safari and Chrome.
In the past it worked well, I clicked on the 1Password extension, chose the site, the site would open, 1Pass typed the login and password automatically, and automatically clicked to login. But now that does not work.
I've reinstalled 1Password several times, and it still does not work. I entered the settings and I noticed that it disappeared the option to mark for the sites to do Auto Login, as I show in the picture. It's in Portuguese, but to see.
I'm using a Mac Pro 6.1 - High Sierra 10.13.6

Have you removed the auto login function from 1Password?

Sorry my bad English.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Due to Apple's changes to Safari, auto-login is no longer available. There are fuller details in several other threads.

You will just have to get used to pressing Return after the username and password are filled in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's correct. It is no longer an option for 1Password to submit the login form, but in most cases it can focus the password field so it's just a matter of tapping Return. Cheers! :)

• viniciusmi00
    viniciusmi00
    Community Member

Thank you very much. Very sad this. Apple...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @viniciusmi00! I'd definitely agree that it's easier to use 1Password with auto-submit than without it....most of the time. Auto-submit was a great feature when it worked, but due to the idiosyncrasies of how some web pages handle things, it didn't work enough of the time that it could be frustrating for users (and us, too, when people wrote in to say it was "broken" and we couldn't do anything about it). Apple pointed out that the way we were getting auto-submit to work (simulating the press of the return key), while totally legitimate, was also the way a lot of malware installed itself (simulating the return-key press), so we agree with the decision. I can say from my own experience that it took me maybe a weekend to adjust to having to press the Return key manually. It's the very last part of the 1Password browser experience. Starting from the main window of 1Password, you can still double-click any Login item in 1Password to 1) launch your default browser automatically, 2) fill in the URL of the login page automatically and visit the page, 3) fill in your saved login credentials. The only thing this change means you CAN'T do any longer is 4) press return to sign in (or click the button in the page).

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

bummer :-( Reluctantly, I agree with the idea of not behaving like malware and I suppose over time sites that try to fight malware would have further interfered with this great feature.

BUT: I wish you had used some sort of popup notification for those who had the feature turned on when you removed the feature. When it stopped working I kept searching searching to find the setting to turn it back on. I thought I was going crazy or senile not being able to remember where that setting was! Knowing it went away would have saved me a lot of grief.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@hesspaul - I'm sorry for the confusion, and I totally feel you on the sense of WTF??? I run internal nightly builds which don't have the great release notes our formal updates (even betas) do, so often I get a new release and it's like "I could have SWORN" this or that thing used to work. 😆So yeah, definitely feel you on that one. We don't like to do pop-ups, because a) they take work to code, b) they're intrusive and c) they almost never apply to all users, and can cause confusion for many, creating as many problems as they solve. But this might have been a time when we should've made an exception. Anyway, glad you figured it out, and I join you in raising a parting glass to the dearly departed auto-submit. In fact, my colleague, the great @bundtkate, actually penned a eulogy for poor old auto-submit. Originally, it was just internal, but I feel like now's the time to share it with you all:

Autosubmit wasn't welcome everywhere he went and wasn't always the most reliable of companions, but he will be missed. He was a simple script with simple pleasures. He simulated an enter key on your Mac with gusto and enthusiasm. At times, his efforts were unwelcome and caused a bit of fuss, but when his function was needed he served it well. Out of concern that his beloved task may be hijacked by those who mean us harm, he agreed to step down from his position when macOS Mojave was released and, soon after, passed away peacefully in his folder. While pinky fingers forced to press enter again mourn his passing, we pause to appreciate his service and wish him a peaceful rest.

Farewell, buddy. ;)

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member

Thanks to @bundtkate for helping us through the fourth and fifth stages of grief :'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I’ll drink to that!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I read auto submits obituary for Apples Safari with great sadness. I was hoping his cousin for Firefox is still hanging around. I have looked and looked and called for him but he has not show up. Is he too gone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lov2krz - yes, he's gone, too. Apple made their wishes pretty clear, and we actually agree. Auto-submit was also not a perfect solution, so for a number of reasons, we decided to sunset the feature across all browsers in 1Password for Mac, rather than trying to support/advance a solution that didn't work on the primary browser (Safari) but did (mostly, but far from always) work in 3rd party browsers.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I understand, I didn't realize the feature was gone and thought 1PW was broken. No worries now that I know to hit return.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.