Is it possible to talk to a human?

Options
1SandyRav3n
1SandyRav3n
Community Member

I think I need a human to walk me through where to find this key thing that I can't seem to find because I think I'm in a circle-jerk and it is irritating me. I've had an account for a couple of years now and never had a problem upgrading the software until 7 came out. I work nights and would be available late, or we can schedule a call for tomorrow. Seriously, I need help before I ruin something. -- Sandy R.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave
Sync Type: iCloud or DropBox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Sorry, AgileBits don't have phone support (I'm a user, not a staff member) though they give good but sometimes slow support on these forums or by email.

The secret key is part of the subscription method and doesn't exist if you are using a licence.

The upgrade to version 7 is a paid upgrade if you have a licence, but is included if you have a subscription.

When you first run 1PW7 it offers you an option to buy a licence in small print, and there's also an option somewhere in the menus. I am not sure how to find these if you have already got partway through the setting up, but take a look.

As a very short-term solution (NOT recommended for long use) you can revert to 1PW6. Check that you have a zipped version of 1PW6, which 1PW7 certainly should have given you. Simply trash 1PW7 (DON'T use an app cleaner), delete the trash, and unzip 1PW6 and you are back where you were.

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

Okay... I did the deleting of 1Pass7, and am back to 6.8.2, and understand that this is temporary.

So because I want to upgrade... I went looking for the key, and in the 'accounts' I didn't see where I had a count. Cannot find a key either. How do I upgrade to 7 if I cannot find these things? I have enjoyed using 1Pass and don't want to give it up. :-)

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

And thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1SandyRav3n: You will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. If yo've been using 1Password without an account but want to move to that, that's no problem. You can follow this guide to go through signup, migrating your data, and setting up your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And we're here if you have any questions along the way. :)

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

So... I'm not following this. IF I have been using 1Pass, and have updated from 5.something to 6.8.9 (what I currently have,) how is it that I do NOT already have an account? I purchased the software through the AppStore when I filled out everything regarding payment and my identity, did that not create an account? I have a username and password, but not an account?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

No, accounts only exist as part of the subscription. It is understandable that many people think an account is the same as a licence, but it isn't. And, strictly speaking, with an App Store purchase you do not even have a licence, as your purchase is tied to your Apple ID.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1SandyRav3n - sorry for the delay in our replies; we've been experiencing a surge of support requests lately. @danco is right on - There are two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately (this is what you did back when you purchased from the Mac App Store)
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

Because 1Password 7 for Mac is a new version and therefore a new purchase for all users, you're at a point where you can make a choice to switch if you like (by heading over to the main 1Password sign-up page and creating a 1password.com account). But you could also choose to purchase an upgraded standalone license that works with version 7 of 1Password for Mac. Let us know if you have questions about any of this. :)

This discussion has been closed.