Dark Mode in Windows? [Planned]

r1ma
r1ma
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I read the blog post https://blog.1password.com/1password-7.2-for-mac-welcome-to-the-dark-side/
will it be in the Windows app as well? Considering Windows 10 has now dark mode as well.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @r1ma,

Thanks for writing in.

We do want to add the dark theme to 1Password on Windows and I'll add your vote but we don't know when it'll happen. There are a lot of changes we want to make first before we consider redesigning the app to support dark theme.

ref: opw/opw#3500

• dcormier
    dcormier
    Community Member

I would also like to see this. It was nice to see it adopted so quickly with the Mac version, but it sure would be nice to see it also adopted in the Windows version, which has had a dark mode for a while now.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Thank you @MikeT
    You mentioned "There are a lot of changes we want to make first "
    You mean new features and improvements to the app?

• Hi guys,

@r1ma,

You mean new features and improvements to the app?

Not as much as new features but re-implementing features that is not available yet in 1Password 7 but did in previous 1Password 4th version and in other 1Password apps; such as AutoType, cleaning up redundant password items, fill newly-generated password, etc.

1Password 6/7 is a new modern codebase as the last one was built in the era of Windows XP for 1Password 1-4 versions. We couldn't evolve the old codebase anymore, so it reached its limit and it was time for us to modernize it by starting over.

Of course, there will be general improvements across the board including design changes, performance improvements, and some new features while we work on 1Password. We do try to support major new features that reaches all 1Password apps such as Watchtower 2.0 recently.

@dcormier

it was nice to see it adopted so quickly with the Mac version, but it sure would be nice to see it also adopted in the Windows version, which has had a dark mode for a while now.

You are correct, we had it in the alpha version for 1Password that was built originally for Universal Windows Platform (UWP), the dark mode was a part of that UWP APIs we used. The problem is that UWP was too basic and we couldn't evolve it to be powerful and it wouldn't work with browser extensions. That's when we changed to the older Windows Presentation Foundation but it was never really modernized and/or updated often. There are signs that Microsoft may be changing this by exposing the UWP designs to WPF apps but we won't know for sure until late next year.

Apple took great care to making sure dark mode (and most of OS new features every year) can be easily adapted by developers on day one. A lot of stuff like Touch ID, auto-fill extension and so on, we were able to get on day one with relative ease.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Thanks for the very good explanation.
    Please not only make dark mode, but also another theme, like white or colorful, similar to white and colorful themes in Office.

Smart passwords mentioned on https://blog.1password.com/1password-7-for-android-the-best-ever/ should be implemented on Windows version too. (IMHO).

“When it comes time to choose a new password or update an existing one, the new and improved Strong Password Generator will help you create exactly the right one for your needs. The memorable password recipe is great for passwords that you’ll need to type out or read aloud over the phone. The PIN Code recipe will help you with bank cards or memberships that limit you to only using digits. And for everything else, you can choose random password to get the strongest possible password. In each case, the Strong Password Generator provides you with convenient options for tweaking the passwords as you see fit.”

I know on Windows version savvy users can already generate/Customize passwords like mentioned above, but having the selector to select between "The PIN Code recipe" and "memorable password recipe" is nifty idea.

Also for 1P in Windows, in the Password Generator, it would be great ( for novice users as well) to have such checkboxes to select between character set:

Current 1P app only has these:

Do you think the new version will be released before end of 2018? I am just eager.

• Hi @r1ma,

Please not only make dark mode, but also another theme, like white or colorful, similar to white and colorful themes in Office.

We are not going to do themes, sorry. It will only be a dark mode of the current interface we have, we will not add any theme/color customization options.

Smart passwords mentioned on https://blog.1password.com/1password-7-for-android-the-best-ever/ should be implemented on Windows version too. (IMHO).

It's planned, we haven't added the new generator yet.

Also for 1P in Windows, in the Password Generator, it would be great ( for novice users as well) to have such checkboxes to select between character set:

At this point, we have no plans to add additional settings like that.

Do you think the new version will be released before end of 2018? I am just eager.

As per our policy, we don't release any timeframe, we just don't know when it'll be done. Right now, our main focus for the upcoming update is performance improvements as I mentioned above before we do anything else.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@MikeT

At this point, we have no plans to add additional settings like that.

Thanks, but as you said there will be new generator. It will be great.

• You're welcome and yep, we'll continue to evolve the new generator but we need to get that new one into the Windows app first. Hopefully, not too long as our team is anxious to use it as well.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Yes, I am also anxious to get new version for Windows soon. Thanks again.

• @r1ma: I'm not sure how you use 1Password, but if you so happen to have a 1Password membership and use either Chrome or Firefox, 1Password X is usable there across all platforms and already has the new generator. Not quite the same as having 1Password for Windows' mini as it does unlock separately from the 1Password app and can't use Windows Hello to unlock, but depending on what's most important to you, it might be worth taking a look. You can check it out here, if you'd like. :chuffed:

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Yes, I do have membership, yes I am on last version of 1P on Windows 10 ( I don't use 1P mini, just normal one), without any browser extension installed.
    Using Firefox 63 as a main browser, I let Firefox itself save password in its own password.
    I think its not recommended right?
    So do you recommend I remove all saved logins from Firefox itself and depend of the 1P extension, right?

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

I just removed all saved logins in Firefox and installed 1P extension for Firefox.
    It works super great.

Also wanted to report that trying to install the extension from https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/ didn't really work. It said several times couldn't download because of connection.

But I could install it promptly from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/

Yes, as you mentioned, yes, the generator that the 1P browser extension has, is a bit different. I hope to see updated and more advanced generator in Desktop version as well.
    After using KeePass since 2008, and just recently moving to 1P, I like to see more options in the password generator of 1P as well.
    Thank you.

• Hi @r1ma,

That connection failure is because of your anti-malware solution, it is interfering with Firefox. Here's how to work around it: https://support.1password.com/firefox-connection-failure/

This discussion has been closed.