How to Import to 1Password Mini 7

Options
oschultz
oschultz
Community Member

Hello there. Longtime 1Password user here. I just bought 1Password 7 and the import went fine on the mac desktop version. I don't want to get into the account/subscription service, I am hoping to continue to run stand alone. While my data imported fine into the desktop version, the Chrome Browser version did not get a copy of my data and I can't seem to get them to link. Can someone help me with that process? I'd prefer not to keep a copy of my vault on the 1Password sync server and just continue to use it as I always have using icloud sync if that is still an option.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 1.11.0
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:import to mini

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oschultz - howdy! Always glad to talk to a long time user. Heck, your account at this discussion forum is older than most people have been 1Password users. :)

If your browser extension version is 1.11.0, that means a couple of things: first, that's the version number for 1Password X, which (second) means you've already created an account/subscription, since 1Password X works only with our 1password.com accounts. And that, in turn, explains why your upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac on the Mac did not sync with the data in 1Password X on Chrome -- because the former is your standalone setup, and the latter is a 1password.com account.

You're at a bit of a crossroads here: if you created the 1password.com account inadvertently (and recently) as a by-product of downloading the 1Password X extension instead of the usual Chrome extension that works with the 1Password for Mac app (4.7.3.90), and you don't have any data you need in your 1password.com account, then you can simply remove 1Password X from Chrome and allow the account to enter Frozen status. It can stay that way forever (though if you ever wanted to sign up for another account from the same email address you used to create this one, you'd need to delete this one first). Then visit our downloads page and grab the 4.7.3.90 extension that's meant to accompany 1Password 7 for Mac, and you'll see all your standalone data is available.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the idea of 1Password X - which works without having to have a native app installed, meaning you can install it into Firefox or Chrome on (nearly) any platform, including Linux, Solaris, what have you, then perhaps it's time to consider moving your data over into your 1password.com account and using that everywhere. It's completely up to you, however. The only thing you CAN'T do is have a standalone setup in 1Password for Mac that syncs with a 1password.com account's vaults.

• oschultz
    oschultz
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Wow. I miss the good old days of upgrading 1Password, clicking a few times to install the extensions and being on my way! Guess I am getting old :) .

Great new look for the app by the way. I really like it.

I appreciate all the work your team has done to get this new syncing service set up, but I have never had any issues using your app across my mac laptop, iphone, and ipad using icloud to sync. For the most part it has worked seamlessly. I am sure this smooth sync has contributed to your high ratings and well deserved success. Paying a monthly subscription to have my vault sit on another server for something I am already happy with (since I am Apple everything) just doesn't quite fit my needs.

I will follow your instructions above and see if I can get myself straightened out. Thanks for taking the time to write the detailed instructions and explanation. I really appreciate it!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oschultz - I'm glad to hear you like the look of 1Password 7 for Mac! :) And no worries at all if you'd like to continue with your standalone setup syncing via iCloud. If it's working for you and you don't see a need to change, well, that's why we're still selling standalone licenses for version 7. Sounds as if you may have already purchased one. If so, great! The only thing you've mentioned so far that you can't do with it is use 1Password X. So just follow the above instructions to remove it and replace with our 4.7.3.90 version that's intended to work with the 1Password 7 for Mac app, and you should be all set. Let us know how you get on. :)

• oschultz
    oschultz
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Thanks for your help. I am up and running.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oschultz - awesome. Let us know if you need anything else, and thanks for your continued support. :)

This discussion has been closed.