Router login page - support/ Is it possible?

ttim03
ttim03
Community Member
edited October 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

Does 1Password fill in login name and password automatically for router login page ? For me it doesn't.

I have to manually copy and paste the password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ttim03,

So there's no reason 1Password can't be used on a router's login page, I use it myself but like any other site it could be either the page is really weird for no good reason or 1Password is being a bit dense. Unfortunately only those with the same router or class of router that happen to share firmwares will be able to easily test.

Let's start with the following and see what we learn. Can you save an entirely new Login item using the steps outlined on our support page How to save a Login manually in your browser. If you try filling with this item do any fields fill and what did 1Password save as the URL in the website field?

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

It is a Netgear router and this is what the page looks like when going to it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ttim03,

Ah, they're using a basic auth prompt. That will stop 1Password being as useful as maybe we could be. The basic auth prompt isn't part of the page and so the extension cannot see it to fill. This is a weakness to the extension. For this kind of prompt you will be limited to copy and paste I'm afraid. 1Password For Windows can utilise something called auto-type but my gut feeling is that's more faffing about than copy and paste so not as useful for this scenario.

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables that sucks :(

Anyway around it?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ttim03,

Nothing beyond copy and paste I'm afraid :(

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables ok np.

Hmm that seems to be one major limitation with 1Password I have found :(

Oh well. Who logs into their router main page that often though ?

Thanks again!

P.S. I remember a different password manager had no trouble with it hopefully 1Password one day can fix this limitation. If not no big deal.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ttim03: That isn't a webpage, but a prompt from the browser itself. There's no way to interact with that.

However, 1Password X has the ability to sign in like that by submitting the login credentials as part of the request to the site, rather than filling.

• vauntedvault
    vauntedvault
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

If you don't mind having the router password in plaintext, you could bookmark username:password@router ip/domain (e.g. admin:123456@routerlogin.net) or store that URL in your vault. That should handle the authentication piece in one go.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not something I'd recommend given that would mean sending the credentials in the clear as part of the URL, but it's certainly possible to do that.

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@brenty how can 1Password X do this ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ttim03: 1Password X seamlessly modifies the headers and reloads the page to submit the credentials as part of the request. This is still not secure if you're using HTTP, but over HTTPS you're in good shape -- unlike the above URL method, since that would still be in plaintext, not part of the encrypted payload, regardless of whether or not the connection itself is secure. Hat tip to @beyer for that one. ;)

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@brenty I am still confused how?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ttim03: Can you clarify? What part are you confused about?

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@brenty sure to have 1Password X fill in login name and password automatically for router login page

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ttim03: I can't speak to a generic "router page", as they're all designed differently. But if it's using an HTTP Auth browser prompt for authentication, no version of 1Password can fill that. 1Password X, however, can submit login credentials in the HTTP request, as described above. Have you tried it?

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@brenty oh sorry I got confused. :(

So only the way @vauntedvault said?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ttim03: No, definitely not. They're suggesting putting the actual login credentials in the URL. That's very different in that the URL is always sent over the network and needs to be seen so that the correct server can be contacted. 1Password X, on the other hand, can submit the saved login credentials as part of the request to the server, not as part of the URL. Does that help?

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@brenty yes a little but I tried 1Password X earlier and couldn't get it to work with 192.168.1.1 url login.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ttim03,

After conversing with Brenty (I've never successfully used this particular feature myself) I was able to learn that it only works if you use open-and-fill, so you would have to search for the Login item and then click the Go button which weirdly doesn't mention that it will also fill. Is that what you're doing and you're still finding it doesn't work or if you initiate open-and-fill do you find it appears to skip the authentication and instead takes you directly to the page?

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables oh ok. I will try that. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

I have one more question about this why can Roboform make this possible but not 1Password ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ttim03: If you're still referring to the HTTPauth login prompt you posted the screenshot for above, 1Password X does work with those:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

I mentioned that last year. Did you try it? When you use the 1Password X toolbar button to Open and Fill a Login item, it can submit the login credentials when requesting the page. Cheers! :)

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

Yes but 1Password X is a separate app or extension and not tied into 1Password 7.3.

It is ok though I guess.

It just sucks having to use two different extensions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, you could use only 1Password X if you want. But having both doesn't really hurt anything, and it would allow you to use Open and Fill from the desktop app and also use 1Password X for the router page when needed. Food for thought.

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

Does 1Password X totally free or does it cost monthly too ?

I am not very familiar with it pricing structure.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ttim03,

1Password X currently only works with 1Password accounts, which as our subscription based service does mean there is either a monthly or annual cost involved. At some point we do want to make it easier for the user as two different extensions can only increase confusion but we're not there just yet.

• mallikamerchant
    mallikamerchant
    Community Member

You can access the Netgear Router Login Page routerlogin.net or IP address 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and login the webpage by using username as admin and password as password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mallikamerchant,

Those IP addresses are part of the private subnets and they require that you have a Netgear router as it is your hardware device that is serving the page. I will only ever see the sign-in form for my Draytek as that is the manufacturer for my router. I would also recommend changing some of the router's defaults if your router is currently set to use admin and password as credentials.

This discussion has been closed.