Add 2FA by manual

Hi,
On some pages you can not automatically scan the QR code.
Then you have to enter the code manually.

Is it possible to add a button next to the Scan QR Button, which allows you to add the code manually?

blaxxz

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blaxxz,

Do you have an example or two please for filing an issue. I'm tempted to say we shouldn't just try scanning the page for a QR code but fall back and look for a otpauth URI if the first approach doesn't work. It does assume that the ones you've found use the latter if not the former though so I'm just trying to figure out how different some sites approach this.

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

Hi,

That's why I already had an email conversation with the support.

https://en.socialclub.rockstargames.com <- This code can only be scanned if I scroll up the page slightly.
    https://www.epicgames.com <- The code is not found here.

That's why my idea was to add an additional button so that you can insert the QR code manually.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blaxxz,

So we do work on https://socialclub.rockstargames.com but it requires the a bit of scrolling and Epic Games does supply a QR code, it's just we're not detecting it. I have filed a bug report for Epic Games as that's nice and easy to reproduce and is a clear fail at the moment. The Rockstar games one I haven't tested yet but I'm wondering if that might be a bit harder to reproduce. I don't know how easy this will be for you to test but when you first tried to set up 2FA on the Rockstar Games site was the QR code partially obscured at all? My hunch is that a combination of screen size and resolution may alter the outcome so I'm trying to gain a better appreciation of your setup. My thinking is it will ensure my best chance at replicating the issue.

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

when you first tried to set up 2FA on the Rockstar Games site was the QR code partially obscured at all?
    No. It was clearly to see.

When i opened the Rockstargames Page 1P X does not found the QR Code. It was a coincidence that i was a bit scrolling and tried to scan again.

Im using an 24" Screen with a Resolution of 2560 x1440

• Thank you for the update. I'm not sure why the codes failed to be detected. I've seen it a few times but the root cause hasn't been found yet. Something odd about the QRCode reader I suspect.

With that said, you can add your 2FA credentials manually by clicking the Edit button. This will open a new tab and show your item in edit mode where you'll be able to add a custom field with your 2FA secret URL:

Note that there is a trick to adding custom fields currently: you need to enter a field value, and then click out of the field. Only then will the ... icon appear allowing you to choose One-Time Password.

I hope that helps.

++dave;

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

I know this way to add a 2FA.
    But thanks for that;)

A button as suggested by me, however, would be a bit more comfortable ;)
    Just a suggestion :)

• 🙂

Just to be clear, what would the button do, exactly? Would it open the new tab, take you to your item in edit mode, and automatically add a new section and custom field with the One-Time Password type preselected?

++dave;

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

No idea if it works, but I thought so.

If you click on the button then open directly an input field where I insert the code and click OK. Done and saved.

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

Or a Popup like when you add a new Account.

You can paste the QR Code here and click on ok. Ready.

This discussion has been closed.