1Password frequently freezes on Mojave

Options
jpotisch
jpotisch
Community Member

I am running macOS Mojave (10.14, not beta) on a late 2017 15" MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and a 2.9GHz i7. Since the upgrade to Mojave earlier this week my computer has been completely fine other than 1Password freezing up a lot. In some cases if I gave it literally a couple of minutes it recovered on its own. Other times I gave up and force quit it.

I saw many people had the same issue with the Mojave beta but I am running the shipping version. I am hoping this is a known issue and a fix is forthcoming.

Thanks,

-joel

1Password Version: 7.2.1 (70201002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: 1Password membership
Referrer: forum-search:mojave

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jpotisch

I wish I could say that this is a known issue and that a fix is coming but I'm not aware of any such issue. 1Password is running smoothly on Mojave for me. When one of these freezes happens please open the Activity Monitor app. You can find it using Spotlight. Click on 1Password in the list. After selecting the application in the process list, click on the Sample Process button in the toolbar. Please note: 1Password must be frozen when clicking this button in order for it to gather any helpful information. In Activity Monitor, once the sample is complete, click on the Save button in the top right-hand corner of the Sample window. Save the resulting file and attach it to an email to support+forum@1password.com along with a diagnostic report:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/97242
    • Your forum username: jpotisch

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your sample and diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• jpotisch
    jpotisch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. As requested I emailed samples to support. My ID is #MVI-77679-524. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpotisch - thanks, one of us will be with you as quickly as possible. :) :+1:

• jpotisch
    jpotisch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi just checking to see if there is any news. I've uploaded a few more samples during 1Password freezes, as it still happens pretty frequently.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jpotisch - no, not yet -- I'm going to try moving this one along today. Thanks for your patience.

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

I'm definitely having a similar issue also - crashes about once a day with 7.2.1 and Mojave. I have to force quit each time. It's frustrating.

I'll try to capture via Activity Monitor and see if I can find anything useful.

Glad I'm not alone!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChiliPalmer - if you're not opposed to the idea of beta software, I'd suggest downloading 7.2.2.BETA-4 and giving that a go. It's got a fix for the number one issue like this we've seen -- actually more like the only one. The next stable release (7.2.2 official) will have this fix as well, so you could just wait for it, but if you're eager to get your hands on this, just download from that link, Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then run the installer. Let us know what you discover!

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good. Beta installed. Fingers crossed.

• HKBurke
    HKBurke
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar issue on my Mackbook Pro, Mojave and Password 7

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HKBurke - unfortunately, without a little more information, it's going to be difficult to say what's going on and whether this is indeed the same issue. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password you have installed?
    2. What specific version of macOS you have installed?
    3. What specific version of 1Password extension you have in your browser(s)?
    4. How you sync your data?

Anything else that might help us identify the issue. What specific steps are you taking, and what's not working the way you think it ought to?

• HKBurke
    HKBurke
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Password version 7.2.1 (70201001)
    MocOS Mojave Version 10.14.1
    1PasswordX Password Manager 1.12.2 Firefox

It locks up Firefox.

Best

Hal

• twelvetimesover
    twelvetimesover
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this issue as well. OnePassword will work fine most of the day, but sometimes when I come back to the machine (and wake it from sleep) OnePassword is unresponsive, both (a) in the browser, (b) Mini at the top of the screen, and (c) the App icon itself. The only solution I have found to get 1P working again is to restart the iMac. I will also follow the instructions above (i.e. Activity Monitor/email support.)

I am running: Mojave 10.14 (on a newer iMac)
    1Password 7 Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
    Extension: 7.2.1
    I sync via my OnePassword.com subscription.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HKBurke - you should be using 4.7.3.90 extension, available from our Firefox Extension page, not 1Password X, if you're planning to use it with the local 1Password 7 for Mac. The two extensions are very different:

• 1Password X is our browser-only extension that works only with 1password.com accounts. If you have a 1password.com account and NO standalone vaults, this might be your go-to extension, especially if you're using an OS we don't have a native client for (such as Linux).
    • 4.7.3.90 is our extension that's designed to accompany 1Password 7 for Mac on the Mac. You install it as a regular extension in Firefox, and it integrates with the desktop 1Password 7 for Mac app -- and cannot function without it.

You're welcome to use 1Password X in Firefox if you wish...but if you do that, it will not work hand-in-glove with 1Password 7 for Mac, which is what I assume you want to do, given that you have 1Password 7 for Mac installed. I'd suggest you delete 1Password X for now and install 4.7.3.90. Let me know how that goes for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @twelvetimesover! That's probably the best idea. I don't have any other suggestions, as 1Password is working fine here. If you're noticing this only on wake-from-sleep, you might wish to see what else could be going on when your Mac goes to sleep -- or tries to wake from sleep.

• HKBurke
    HKBurke
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Somehow both extensions were installed. I deleted the 1Password X.

Thank you

Hal

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HKBurke - you're quite welcome. :)

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

@jpotisch

I'm also having issues with 1p on mac and latest Mojave 10.14.1, might be different issue to you, basically 1p will hang, (no response from 1p app in dock or safari extension).

log out user and log back in fixes it.

Very annoying issue.

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member
    Options

Since upgrading to MacOs 10.14.1 I have had a few 1Password issues too.

1Password freezing or becoming unresponsive. (Both the main 1PW program and the extension in Chrome)
    Issues cleared by a force quit or reboot.

I am using:

MacOs 10.14.1
    1PW 7.2.1
    Chrome extension 4.7.3.90
    Chrome Browser 70.0.3538.77

I have a subscription to 1PW & sync through the sub.

Hopefully the next 1PW update will solve these issues.

Thanks

Paul

• twelvetimesover
    twelvetimesover
    Community Member
    Options

Just an update. 1P just froze again, though in a slightly different way than above. The Mac wasn't waking from sleep this time. I was using Safari (had Chrome and Brave open too) and using the application. I had just created a new login, in fact, after having 1P generate a new password. The next time I tried to use 1P in Safari to login to another website, the browser button wouldn't work. I then tried to click on the app in the dock, but it wouldn't bring the interface to the forefront of the screen. I could still access the 1Password menu in the bar at the top of the screen (i.e. File/Edit/View etc.) and the cursor would let me select from the various dropdown menus, but none of them would work. I tried quitting and re-launching 1 Password, but it wouldn't Quit. So I had to Force/Quit the OnePassword App to get the App working again, and now the Safari button seems to be working etc.

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I'm still getting about a crash a day, but it's a very different crash. Progress!

The old crash was a freeze - I had to force quit. Takes several steps.

The new crash with the beta is just a crash. I get the crash reporter, and I can reopen immediately.

So I guess this is better, but stability would be even better.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

@twelvetimesover

That's like my experience with these random freezes/hangs with 1p in Mojave.

The app in the dock will not respond nor the extension tab in Safari.

I rarely have the 1p app open so when I attempt to force quit, the app is not listed, so I have to log out my user and log back in which fixes it.

With the amount of users reporting this now, there is clearly some issue with 1P and Mojave.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi folks -- @telUK, @ChiliPalmer, @twelvetimesover, and @Boomer49 -- if you haven't already, please try updating your 1Password installation to the recently-released 7.2.2.BETA-5 (assuming you're OK with using the beta version). If you prefer, you can wait until the stable 7.2.2 is released (shouldn't be too much longer), but either way, let us know how/if that affects the issues you've been seeing. Make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) first, and then you can grab a copy of the beta from our downloads page and run the installer.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars

I will wait for the stable release and I will post an update if it's fixed or not in due course.

Thanks

• twelvetimesover
    twelvetimesover
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thank you for the reply. I'm just going to wait for 7.2.2 as well and will hold off reporting any more instances until I'm running the new version.

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars, Ditto for me........Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK, thanks gang -- should be more than a few more days, barring anything truly weird in our final prep for 7.2.2. Hang in there! :)

This discussion has been closed.