In Safari on Mac, nothing happens when I click the 1Password icon in Safari menu bar

Options
BobP
BobP
Community Member

After upgrading to Mac Mojave, I upgraded from a previous version of 1Password to 1Password 7 with a membership. Although the icon is installed in my Safari menu bar, nothing happens when I click the icon. (Actually, any open 1Password preferences panel or main panel pops up for half a second, but then disappears (hides) behind the browser. Also, I have the 1Password7 icon installed in my lower Mac app bar, but when I click it, it only opens with my "old" master password rather than the more elaborate one I created when I signed up for a membership. Any suggestions to help me get the Safari extension working?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @BobP! I'm sorry for the trouble. For the Safari issue, please restart your Mac and give it another go. For the the issue of opening with the previous Master Password, it sounds as if you may still have standalone vaults on your Mac. Please go to Preferences > Vaults and see if you still have a vault there called Primary. If so, that means 1Password for Mac is still using the former (standalone) Master Password, not the one you create for your 1password.com account. To solve this, use these instructions to move your data over from your older standalone Primary vault into your new 1password.com account vault(s). If you've already done that and you've got a copy of the data in both places, then next step is to remove the Primary vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UNchecking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." Let me know how that goes for you. :)

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I'll give those suggestions a try & let you know.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BobP - sounds good. We're here if you need us. :) :+1:

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,
    Re-starting my Mac did solve the issue with the Safari extension not appearing.

I do have the Primary Vault (showing in Preferences) that may be causing 1Password to use my old master password.  Before I start moving vaults, I want to make sure that I have the correct (most recent) vault.  I'm noticing that the passwords I'm seeing since updating are quite old, and my newer passwords are not showing.  I believe I had been storing my password data in Dropbox in a file labeled 1Password.agilekeychain.  How do I move the data in that file to 1Password 7?  Thanks for your help.  -Bob-

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,
    Re-starting my Mac did solve the issue with the Safari extension not appearing.

I do have the Primary Vault (showing in Preferences) that may be causing 1Password to use my old master password.  Before I start moving vaults, I want to make sure that I have the correct (most recent) vault.  I'm noticing that the passwords I'm seeing since updating are quite old, and my newer passwords are not showing.  I believe I had been storing my password data in Dropbox in a file labeled 1Password.agilekeychain.  How do I move the data in that file to 1Password 7?  Thanks for your help.  -Bob-

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BobP - great! Glad to hear things are back up and working for you. :)

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,
    Re-starting my Mac did solve the issue with the Safari extension not appearing. I do have the Primary Vault (showing in Preferences) that may be causing 1Password to use my old master password. Before I start moving vaults, I want to make sure that I have the correct (most recent) vault. I'm noticing that the passwords I'm seeing since updating are quite old, and my newer passwords are not showing. I believe I had been storing my password data in Dropbox in a file labeled 1Password.agilekeychain. How do I move the data in that file to 1Password 7? Thanks for your help. -Bob-

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,
    Re-starting my Mac did solve the issue with the Safari extension not appearing. I do have the Primary Vault (showing in Preferences) that may be causing 1Password to use my old master password. Before I start moving vaults, I want to make sure that I have the correct (most recent) vault. I'm noticing that the passwords I'm seeing since updating are quite old, and my newer passwords are not showing. I believe I had been storing my password data in Dropbox in a file labeled 1Password.agilekeychain. How do I move the data in that file to 1Password 7? Thanks for your help. -Bob-

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about the repetitive messages above. When sending the email, it was changing the formatting randomly, so I tried to re-send several times (and did not see how to delete the redundant ones). Please see my previous email in which I'm asking a question about my file vault in Dropbox and how to migrate it to 1Password 7. Thank you. -Bob-

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BobP - if you're seeing data that looks very old to you, then it's quite possible you had once been using a different sync method, and now are recovering that older vault. I'd be careful at this point before you start deleting things. In fact, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#QZV-75325-272]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @BobP only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: QZV-75325-272

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,
    I just sent the Diagnostics file for 1Password on my MacBook Pro. I believe I have been using 2 separate (unsynced) back-ups for my MacBook and my iPhone for some time. I believe I have been using a file on Dropbox (1Password.agilekeychain) to store & sync my passwords on my MacBook Pro, but I have been using iCloud to store the passwords on my iPhone. These got out of sync a couple years ago and I never found the time to go through them one by one to save the best version on both, and then sync them to the same file. It has caused confusion trying to maintain two separate 1Password files, so I would like to eventually get them re-synced. I think I would like to focus first on getting 1Password working correctly with my most recent passwords on my MacBook Pro, and then move on to my iPhone. I did find a Help file on the 1Password site entitled, "How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain," but I wanted to wait for your instructions before proceeding with it. Thanks, -Bob-

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BobP - OK, thanks for the clarification. Please send along the one from your iOS device as well, so I can verify what you've got. Don't forget to include the ticket ID in the Subject line of the email you send. Let's keep the conversation after that going via email, since it will involve nitty-gritty details of your specific 1Password setup which should probably not be on this public forum. Thanks! :)

• BobP
    BobP
    Community Member
    Options

OK, Lars, I just forwarded my iOS diagnostics file. And yes, let's continue the discussion via email. Thanks, -Bob-

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.