Mirging vaults

sperry1975
sperry1975
Community Member

If I have multiple vaults on my iPhone how do I merge them into one?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975: Vaults cannot be "merged", but you can copy items from one to another. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

On my iPhone I have a vault listed that is not showing up on my Mac. If I set them both to sync at the same location will the vault on my iPhone become available on my Mac too or will it be deleted? Also how do you open a 1p4_zip file with 1Password on a Mac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On my iPhone I have a vault listed that is not showing up on my Mac.

@sperry1975: Which vault?

If I set them both to sync at the same location will the vault on my iPhone become available on my Mac too or will it be deleted?

If they are both syncing with the same vault, they will have all the same data there.

Also how do you open a 1p4_zip file with 1Password on a Mac?

Preferences > Backup > Find Backup.

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Backup is no longer an option for me in Preferences which I guess means all my backups are gone. Is there a way to get that option back?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975: Then it sounds like you're using a 1Password.com account. Is that correct? If so, offsite backups are done automatically, on the server, so there aren't "preferences" for it; you can use the item history feature from the 1Password.com web interface.

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

I recently deleted the old database completely from 1Password.com and then setup a new, so any old backups are on my computer. How would I go about accessing those?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975: If you were using a 1Password.com account, the backups would be there, on the server. Did you delete your entire account? Where do you have your 1Password data currently?

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

Yes, the last tech I spoke with sent me a link to delete the entire account and start over because after a reinstall of my Mac OS the master password was no longer working or being accepted by 1Password. So I was able to make a backup with 1Password on my iPhone since it still accepted my thumbprint. The trouble is that backup is a 1p4_zip file. But in I did discover some other backups on my hard drive in Library > Application Support > 1Password. The Backups folder there have all the files also in 1p4_zip format, but there is a data folder that has some in sqlite format.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975: Thanks for letting me know. The .1p4_zip backup archives can be restored under Preferences > Backup > Find Backup, as I described above.

Create and restore backups of standalone vaults

Did you try that?

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

The trouble is in my preferences panel there is no "backup" option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975: Ah. Thanks for telling me. Then you've setup 1Password with only an account, and local vaults are disabled. You can enable them in Preferences > Advanced.

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

Okay, that's a big help at last. I noticed that when I enabled them in Preferences it created a separate vault listed under "on iCloud". If I restore from a backup will it restore to this separate vault? If not, how do I make sure it does? I don't want this data merged with my primary data until I have a chance to go through it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975: The backup will restore to the local vault. You can migrate your data to your 1Password.com account after that.

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

Okay I went through the process and now my 1Password.com data is gone and I'm left with just the local vault restored data, so when I do log into 1Password.com will I have the option to not combine the local vault with the 1Password.com stored vaults, but to keep it separate so I can pick and choose what I want to move over?
    Also I noticed when I did the restore that the master password I had to use to get in was my old password and not the new. This for me adds to the mystery because 1Password would not allow me in because it said I had the wrong Master Password so I deleted my account and created another. Now after doing a restore of the old data from September 30th of this year it let me right in with the password it kept saying was the wrong password before I deleted the old account. Could you explain that? Not only that but the data it recovered from my iPhone and from my Mac was outdated data. All new data was lost with the deleting of my account despite doing a backup with my iPhone before deleting the account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Okay I went through the process and now my 1Password.com data is gone and I'm left with just the local vault restored data, so when I do log into 1Password.com will I have the option to not combine the local vault with the 1Password.com stored vaults, but to keep it separate so I can pick and choose what I want to move over?

@sperry1975: Each vault is completely separate. So while it's certainly much easier to migrate data from Help > Tools, you can certainly copy items over individually, as I suggested originally.

Also I noticed when I did the restore that the master password I had to use to get in was my old password and not the new. This for me adds to the mystery because 1Password would not allow me in because it said I had the wrong Master Password so I deleted my account and created another. Now after doing a restore of the old data from September 30th of this year it let me right in with the password it kept saying was the wrong password before I deleted the old account. Could you explain that?

That doesn't sound so mysterious. The app will unlock using the Master Password for the first vault/account you have setup there. Otherwise we couldn't call it "1Password". ;) If you've chosen a different Master Password for the local vault you setup in the app than the one you setup for your 1Password.com account, you'll need to use the correct one depending on the situation. Confusing, sure, but that was your choice. It's why the 1Password.com signup process suggests using the same one. :)

Not only that but the data it recovered from my iPhone and from my Mac was outdated data. All new data was lost with the deleting of my account despite doing a backup with my iPhone before deleting the account.

I'm sorry to hear that. But if the data was saved only in your account, and you deleted that account, it makes sense that the data within it was also deleted. We can't stop you from doing that. :(

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

I don't think your catching what I'm saying. My Master Password for the first vault or online account was the same. I was able to use it before I reformatted my hard drive to access both the local software and the online account, but I could not use it after I reformatted and reinstalled the OS on either local or online. Yet the only thing that changed was I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled the OS and all software. As I mentioned before on my iPhone I still had access to my latest data via my thumb print. Therefore I used the settings in the 1Password App on the iPhone to save out a backup then I used iTunes to extract a backup of that data before I had my 1Password data deleted from your systems, but for whatever reason the data that was extracted was old data even though the file was labeled for this month of this year.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

the only thing that changed was I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled the OS and all software

@sperry1975: That's a rather large change. And essentially you'd have to setup 1Password from scratch after doing that. That will determine how it works.

I used the settings in the 1Password App on the iPhone to save out a backup then I used iTunes to extract a backup of that data before I had my 1Password data deleted from your systems, but for whatever reason the data that was extracted was old data even though the file was labeled for this month of this year.

The iTunes File Sharing backup feature is for local vaults since there is no other way to back those up. Anything you have in a 1Password.com account will be completely separate, and backed up on the server, so you just need to sign into your account to access it. So if what you had in the local vault(s) was "old data", that's what you'd restore from the backup as well.

This discussion has been closed.