Support two-factor authentication on Instagram

podkopaev
podkopaev
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Lounge

1Password, hello! :)

Today in my Instagram app I have the opportunity to set up two-factor authentication using Google Authenticator.
I tried to configure through 1Password, but it did not work for me.

Instagram does not allow customization in other applications?
Or am I doing something wrong?

(other services through 1Password were configured successfully)

Comments

• Hi @podkopaev

It doesn’t appear Instagram requires any specific app, and in fact they indicate both Google Authenticator as well as Duo Mobile as options (which seems to indicate they support the TOTP standard, which is also what 1Password uses).

How do I use an authentication app for two-factor authentication? | Instagram Help Center

That said... when I tested this myself... I only saw an option to receive codes via SMS. I did not see the option to use an authenticator app as Instagram says in their help docs would be available. As such I’m not really in a position to provide better instructions. Perhaps someone else familiar with Instragram’s setup can chime in here.

Ben

• This guide may help... it doesn’t work for me here, but this is how Instagram says it should work:

https://help.instagram.com/1124604297705184?helpref=related&ref=related

You’ll want to pick the set up manually option.

Ben

• podkopaev
    podkopaev
    Community Member

The key for manual configuration consists of 34 characters - this is two times more than when setting up other services, if I'm not mistaken. Is this a problem? :(

I can show screenshots if this helps in any way :)

At the same time, I managed to configure via Google Authenticator.

• Did you try it? I spoke with a couple of my colleagues who indicated they were able to successfully enable TOTP code generation for Instagram in 1Password.

Ben

• podkopaev
    podkopaev
    Community Member

I found the cause of the problem. Instagram copied to the buffer only half the code. I had to enter the second part manually.

Sorry for disturbing! Thanks for the help!

• No worries. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that worked. :+1:

Ben

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member

I configured 2FA for Instagram on two different iPhones. It appears to default to suggesting whichever authenticator app is installed on your iPhone (I got different default suggestions on the two different iPhones). In both cases I selected the small text link below that suggestion to "configure manually".

I didn't pay attention to how many characters the secret key was, I just selected "copy" (there was a "Copy" link, I didn't have to select the codes and copy them via the iOS selection/copy method), switched to 1Password and pasted it into the newly created OTP field for my Instagram Item, hit Save and it started generating codes. I copied the TOTP code, switched back to Instagram, and pasted it into the next screen. It just worked.

I also did a copy on the following screen's worth of disposable one-time codes and then pasted those into the notes field of my 1Password Instagram Item.

@Ben, I think they are slowly rolling out the TOTP-based 2FA. You may see it in the near future.

• Thanks for chiming in @rlh.

Ben

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

How do you configure OTP within 1Password manually (without scanning a QR code)?

Instagram provides a "key" which can be copied, but how is this used to configure within 1Password?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I’m so glad Instagram did this. Sad, my Instagram account is more secured than my bank account.

• Hi @Michael Mercurio

You can put the key in a TOTP field on your Instagram login item.

Ben

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

Hi thanks, Ben! It was so easy, it was hard. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Story of my life! :lol: Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• waldhaus1
    waldhaus1
    Community Member

What I did for what it is worth. First you need to select edit security and turn off two factor authentication in the instagram app on an iOS device if you already had it set to work with a different authenticator app.
    Then turn 2 factor authentication back on in the Instagram app and select set up manually. You are given a longish code with the option to copy.
    Open the 1Password login for Instagram select edit and select 1 time password from the drop down menu just below the heading Section - it is to the right of the window.
    A small icon of a QR code shows up and to the left of that is a line that says secret password (? TOTP field). Paste the code generated in the instagram app there.
    Then go back to the instagram app and select next. It asks for the code from the two factor app which is now 1Password. Quickly go back and memorize that code and go back to the instagram app and enter the code. At that point the loop is closed and you should be able to use 1Password as your authenticator for instagram in the future.
    I am being so wordy because I didn't know what a TOTP field was and would guess others may have been confused as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It can definitely be difficult to navigate the different ways that sites present this. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It may very well help others. :chuffed:

• TJLuoma
    TJLuoma
    Community Member

FYI - I just ran into this today and it was a little tricky because it's unusual.

Instagram did not give me a QR code to scan. Instead it gave me a 32-character string of letters and numbers.

In 1Password on the Mac, I went down to the section where you can add your own fields, and I added one for a "One-Time Password".

Then I pasted the 32-character string into the field and clicked 'Save'

Suddenly, 1Password was showing me 2FA codes for Instagram as it does for other sites.

I entered the 2FA code into the Instagram app, and it worked.

So it's a little unusual compared to how I'm used to setting up 2FA for sites, but it did work in the end.

I came across this page while searching for an answer, so I'm hoping someone else in the future might find what they need here.

(Note that as of 22 March 2020, you can only enable 2FA via the Instagram app, not via the Instagram website.)

• TJLuoma
    TJLuoma
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

oops, never mind

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TJLuoma:

Thank you for sharing your experience and for taking the time to write the steps that worked for you! I am sure that other users will find your instructions useful :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.