Lock screen issue: 1Password X for Firefox on Ubuntu 18.04 🐛⚠️

Comments

• pokemaniac
    pokemaniac
    Community Member

@Cethskky Not sure what the default in general is, but I have an Nvidia GPU, so I'm still on X11 regardless.

• sero
    sero
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Same happening here. Need a fix, 1password is unusable in ubuntu/firefox.

• mmohamed
    mmohamed
    Community Member

@Cethskky No, looks like still uses xorg, wayland is installed but not used by default.

$ cat /etc/lsb-release     
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=cosmic
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.10"

$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    x11

• Cethskky
    Cethskky
    Community Member

@mmohamed @pokemaniac Quick responses, thanks. Also interesting, and you suspect that ibus has been patched at last? I wonder if it's possible that patch will make its way down to 18.0.4

• pokemaniac
    pokemaniac
    Community Member

@Cethskky 18.10 appears to ship a different version from 18.04, at least: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ibus

Whether the fix came from Ubuntu/Debian or upstream, I don't really know, though.

• mmohamed
    mmohamed
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Yes, indeed @Cethskky @pokemaniac there's a new version in 18.10 (might be able to upgrade from 18.04). Most of the suggestions I found before I upgraded to 18.04 by downgrading ibus to 1.5.17 didn't help. I didn't try the patched package mentioned here, and available here, you can give it a try if you are not planning to upgrade to 18.10 and can't upgrade ibus to the current version (1.5.19).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

The webapp login workaround no longer seems to function for me. On 18.0.4 and FF 62.0.3. 1PWX is basically nonfunctional.

@Cethskky: Can you be more specific about the issue you're experiencing? If it's the issue with Wayland causing focus to fail in Firefox on Ubuntu 18.04, then updating to 18.10 should help with the new ibus version used there.

I haven't tested this, but there's mention of a patch for 18.04 in the issue Beyer linked in this announcement.

• sero
    sero
    Community Member

So originally in Ubuntu 18.04 with the Firefox 1Password X extension 1.10.4 we could still login to the extension with the first workaround:

Unlock 1Password X by signing into your account at https://start.1password.com/signin: Any account that you have added to 1Password X will be unlocked by signing into it using 1Password.com.

As of the 1.12 release of the 1Password X firefox extension, when I sign into my account at 1Password.com the extension does not log in anymore. Thus the extension is nonfunctional.

• Cethskky
    Cethskky
    Community Member

@brenty I mean exactly what @sero said. Although I should note that I tried one of the other workarounds (switching to xim as an input using the language support menu) and it worked. I had to restart my machine to get that workaround to fix the problem the second time, whereas the first time I only restarted gdm.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Cethskky: Ah, thanks for clarifying. I'm glad that worked for you in the end! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sero: I'm not sure I follow. Are you unable to unlock 1Password X, or unable to add a new account?

• sero
    sero
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@brenty when I login into my account at https://start.1password.com/signin it used to sign me into my vaults and log me into the extension. Now all it does is log me into my vaults and the extension remains locked.

I have tried this on my mac with the same results. Logging into https://start.1password.com/signin no longer logs in the 1Password X firefox extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sero: Thanks for clarifying. I'm sorry for the confusion there, but those are very separate. Even when you reload a 1Password.com (account) page, it should require you to enter your Master Password again. 1Password.com isn't using session cookies; it's a browser-based 1Password app which needs both the Secret Key (often saved) and Master Password (always entered) in order to decrypt the data to allow you to access your account. Merely having 1Password X in use when opening a 1Password.com page in a tab should not allow you to bypass that; and similarly, having 1Password.com open in a tab should not allow 1Password X to be used without unlocking. However, if you unlock 1Password X and open an item to edit from there, it should be able to use 1Password X's existing session. Only in that case should you not have to enter the Master Password on the website too. Please check that for me and let me know the specifics if you're seeing something different.

• sero
    sero
    Community Member

@brenty So how is workaround #1 supposed to work?

Unlock 1Password X by signing into your account at https://start.1password.com/signin: Any account that you have added to 1Password X will be unlocked by signing into it using 1Password.com.

Also, this is not the behavior of 1Password X <= 1.10.4.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sero: I'm not sure we're on the same page here, and I apologize if that's my fault.

Just to clarify, if you're having the issue beyer described at the beginning of this topic, I think reinstalling 1Password X will help your specific situation. If you're still having trouble, please share the logs from the background page so we can investigate further:

1. Open Firefox and go to about:debugging#addons
    2. Select "Enable add-on debugging"
    3. Click "Debug" underneath "1Password X - Password Manager"
    4. With the console open, open the blank page again by clicking the 1Password icon in the toolbar
    5. Screenshot or copy/paste the logs that appear in the console

But if you're having a different issue than the one he described, please be specific about what you're trying to do, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening as a result. Thanks!

• lode
    lode
    Community Member

The bug in Gnome seems to be merged: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/merge_requests/140

I can imagine it might take a while before that's on end-users devices though.

• dominickpastore
    dominickpastore
    Community Member

@brenty: I was having the same issue as sero, and reinstalling 1Password X did indeed allow beyer's workaround #1 to work again. Thanks!

@lode: That is good news to hear. I'm not too familiar with how they handle this sort of issue, but it looks like a backported fix for 18.04 is at least an option they are considering on the Launchpad bug page. Hopefully we will have a proper fix soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Very cool! Thanks for sharing that. :)

• rbregt
    rbregt
    Community Member

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ibus/+bug/1765304/comments/33

The patch to resolve this bug was just accepted to upstream gnome-shell master: see https - gitlab.gnome dot org/GNOME/gnome-shell/merge_requests/140 (For some reason launchpad is not letting me submit a comment with a URL).

Might it be possible to back-port this patch to GNOME Shell 3.28 for Bionic?

• iey4ai
    iey4ai
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

This bug is killing my productivity... ):

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

There are a few different workaround for this ibus bug that Beyer lists in the announcement. Have you tried those?

• Ziko
    Ziko
    Community Member

Hi guys... some news about this bug? The only workaround that work for me is the 4th but is very boring :'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ziko: There's been some movement on it, but you'd have to ask Ubuntu with regard to if/when an OS update might include it. It's not something we have control over or insight into.

• elstamey
    elstamey
    Community Member

Your link to upgrade ibus didn't work for me, but the link in this comment (https://github.com/ibus/ibus/issues/2002#issuecomment-434309622) worked. After upgrading, I clicked the restart button and closed and reopened firefox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, it looks like they moved it. Thanks! :)

• Thomas L
    Thomas L
    Community Member

Ubuntu has released updates with a bugfix for this issue. After apt-get update/upgrade and a restart (just to be sure) the 1password extension works fine for me.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

This bug was fixed in the package gnome-shell - 3.28.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.4

@Thomas L: Awesome news indeed! I'm so happy to finally unsticky this thread!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

confirmed as well! Now to get my computer fixed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Oh no! Windows broke your computer? :scream: :lol:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty I have it now so I can have both. Not 100% working yet, but I still have Linux.

This discussion has been closed.