Noticeable Degradation of Performance in Mojave

jm.torres92
jm.torres92
Community Member

This is just some general feedback regarding the latest beta of 1Password on the Mac (Version 7.2.2.BETA-2 (70202002)); the performance on it is incredibly noticeable and is just slowing me down ridiculously. Sometimes when I'm searching, it takes several seconds for anything to be populated, and I get the good ol' beachball whenever I do. It's frustrating. Anyone else noticing this performance issue?

1Password Version: 7.2.2.BETA-2 (70202002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14 Mojave
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @jm.torres92

Thanks for letting us know. I've moved your post to our Mac Beta category. To clarify: you do not see this slowness when using the latest stable version, only the latest beta?

Thanks.

Ben

• jm.torres92
    jm.torres92
    Community Member

@Ben I've gotten a chance to install the latest stable version and I'm seeing the slowdown there as well. Authentication is noticeably slower when using the fingerprint sensor on the Mac, and searching can still occasionally be very slow. I'm not sure if I can 100% contribute it to the app itself or something in Mojave that is causing the slowness.

Any diagnostics tools I can run that'll capture any relevant statistics to send to the team?

• Marco Van de Water
    Marco Van de Water
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Hi,

I also see these slow downs in Mojave running 1Password 7.2.2. Especially Touch ID Authentication is slow.

Regards,
    Marco

• jm.torres92
    jm.torres92
    Community Member

This issue has not gone away, FWIW. Is there anything that I can provide that would help identify the issue @Ben?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm really not sure what that even means. How slow is "slow" exactly? What's the frame of reference, if both the stable and beta behave the same on Mojave? Can you quantify it somehow?

• jm.torres92
    jm.torres92
    Community Member

@brenty the way I'm quantifying it is that what previously took ~1 second to bring 1Password mini or the main 1Password app to the forefront and authenticate with TouchID is now taking 10+ seconds to authenticate at times. I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs while I get a beachball spinner and 1Password appears to struggle to authenticate me. The authentication always ends up working, it just takes really long.

There are things that I sign into regularly for work that are time sensitive. Authentication and grabbing those credentials used to never bother me up until a few weeks ago (right around the time I updated to Mojave) and I'm considering just using a plaintext note with credentials on my desktop because authentication is that slow.

I just found a way to generate a diagnostics report and will send it directly to Support the next time it happens. Is this still a valid way to send diagnostics reports? -> https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• @jm.torres92 it is, you'll also want to include a Sample when you get the beachball spinner. you can generate one of those using Activity Monitor.app with the 1Password app selected click the Gear button -> sample.

• matthijscollard
    matthijscollard
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same issues. Very slow to authenticate. I just installed Mojave, restarted everything multiple times, but 1password is still very slow. I am running Version 6.8.9 (689001).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

Welcome to the forum, @matthijscollard! I'm sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. However, if you're still using 1Password 6 for Mac, then you're not experiencing the same issues, even though they may appear superficially the same. macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) was released after version 7 of 1Password for Mac was released, so although version 7 is optimized for the newest macOS, version 6.x is not and won't be. If you're already upgraded to Mojave, then the next step for you will be to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac. Hope that helps! :)

ref: VZE-85212-485

• jm.torres92
    jm.torres92
    Community Member

@rudy @brenty I just managed to capture a bit of sampling data for 1Password from Activity Monitor when I just not got the authentication to be dreadfully slow, and I sent that along to support@agilebits.com along with a diagnostic report generated from the 1Password Diagnostics app. I was only able to sample the last few seconds because I didn't have Activity Monitor open and waiting for the app to be slow, but when I ran it I was still getting a beachball. Hope this helps nail it down.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll take a look. :)

• swozey
    swozey
    Community Member

100% experiencing this, 2016 i7 MBPr and immediately after moving to Mojave last night my 1p takes significantly longer, sometimes 3-10 seconds to go between various states if the lock screen is displayed (whether I'm logged in already or authing for first time).

It also takes significantly longer to minimize 1pass (which shows the auth screen) and maximize it from my dock (which again, shows the auth screen for a few seconds).

I don't think this is an actual problem with authing but with rendering the windows/animations. It takes me 3 seconds just to minimize the full app now.

I have to do a lot of 2FA, etc like jm.torres92 mentioned and am constantly in an out of 1p and this is definitely noticeable to the point that I'm here posting because it's definitely tripping me up on my workflow.

Example; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvcnwjyLD_nzFAuWRTRH4M09e_ufqJ1Y/view?usp=sharing

• Hi @swozey @jm.torres92 and others,

There have been some fixes gone into the latest beta. Have these resulted in any speedups for you?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• No, still slower than 1Password 6. Also the unlock with touch id does not feel "naturel" with the separate touch id pop up.

• There are performance improvements coming in future betas, specifically relating to mini.

The separate Touch ID dialog isn't an optional thing, that is presented by the OS. So natural or not, that's how that works.

• matkonkol
    matkonkol
    Community Member

Hello,

Any news on the 1password performance improvements? I'm running 1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006), and operating it is unnaturally slow. It takes ~5s to bring the 1password window up. It also takes 5-10s to get the touch id to authenticate me and show the passwords to fill.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@matkonkol: It doesn't sound like you're using the beta. Have you tried it?

• matkonkol
    matkonkol
    Community Member

Indeed, I haven't tried the beta so far. Will give it a try, and report the outcome :)

Thx,

Mat

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! We'd love to hear your feedback. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.