To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Completely confused, please help (re: reinstalling on wiped computer)

annetteb
annetteb
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Memberships

Hi all - I clearly don't understand the 1P system of accounts. I've had 1P 6 running on an iMac, an air, and an iPhone, and they all sync, via Dropbox. I've had to wipe the iMac and am attempting to reinstall, and am having trouble getting in. I can't log in via a browser because I don't have a key, and when I check my account info on my existing installs, it appears I don't actually have an account. I've been skimming forum posts and haven't found one that is similar, but it's clear this is a complicated topic. :) Anyway, I'm desperate for help because I rely on 1P a ton.

Please advise!

p.s. I was just poking around more on my Air install and it appears I bought a membership in 2016 and have a license, but of course have no idea how to find it or use it.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @annetteb

I'm sorry for any confusion caused. In reviewing your post I see two contradictory statements. On the one hand you state that you have a membership, but on the other hand you state you are syncing via Dropbox. These two things are, essentially, mutually exclusive. Either you have a 1Password membership or you are syncing via Dropbox. 1Password membership is a subscription service that is billed either monthly or annually.

1Password membership makes this situation easy: to add or replace a device you'd simply install 1Password on the new device and sign in to your 1Password membership account. You can get all of the details you need to do so from your Emergency Kit that you'd generate and print when establishing a membership. Then you'd uninstall 1Password from the old device, if desired. If you do not currently have a membership but think that sounds like a pretty great idea you can read more here:

If you're using standalone licensing (i.e. no subscription membership) and are syncing your data via Dropbox then you'd need to manually configure Dropbox syncing on the new devices:

Without a subscription membership you do not have an account with us. You may have purchased a standalone license at some point in the past but that is not the same as a membership and does not come with an account. Also standalone licenses are for a specific version of 1Password, whereas membership includes access to the latest versions of all of our 1Password apps for all of your compatible devices. With a membership as long as you're running modern devices you can always be confident that you'll have access to the latest version. With the licensing model you'd need to purchase each new major version for each platform. 1Password 7 is the latest major version.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• annetteb
    annetteb
    Community Member

Hi Ben, thanks for clearing this up. And yes, it appears I purchased a standalone license for 1P 6. If I wanted to buy a membership for 1P 7, is it straightforward for me to do so and ensure that my data is being moved over with me? If not, can you point me to instructions? Thanks much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@annetteb: Yes to all! This guide will take you through signing up, migrating your data, and setting up your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And if you have any questions along the way, just let us know. We're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.