Fuzzy Search in 1Password Mini?

Options
invictus26
invictus26
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I love the new quick open feature, but it makes me wish for fuzzy search in 1Password mini even more! I would love the same behavior (e.g. "mcs" matches "My Cool Site") in mini, since I mostly search for items from mini. It would really speed things up for me. Thanks!

1Password Version: 7 Beta 9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@invictus26: I don't believe that souped-up search like that is going to make it into 1Password 7, but I agree it would be cool if 1Password could read my mind like that in the future to help me find stuff faster. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this? I (and others) have requested fuzzy search a number of times over the last several years, so it's pretty frustrating that it's still not implemented.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No. There are a lot of people asking for a lot of different features. We can't possibly build all of them, and unfortunately just the fact of a feature being requested does not change that. We have been working on some search improvements in 1Password X, and if that goes well I'd like to see us bring that to the other apps as well. But you'll always get the best search results by having things named in a way that makes sense to you. Cheers! :)

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    Options

I had assumed fuzzy search in the mini window was too much to ask for, but I only recently discovered “Quick Open…” in the main app. Now it just seems cruel that we can’t perform the same searches in other contexts. :'(

Yes, I can just use Quicksilver to find things, but what I can do from there is pretty limited for legitimate security reasons.

But you'll always get the best search results by having things named in a way that makes sense to you.

Yes and no. I like to give things descriptive names that are pleasing to look at, but I also like to find things using two or three prominent/unique characters. Those goals are in conflict unless you have fuzzy searching available.

Please ask the team to (re)consider it. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Easier said than done, but perhaps it's something we can do in the future. :)

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    Options

Easier said than done

No question, but… You’ve already done it. That’s sort of my point. :smile:

• rudy
    Options

@Skurfer,

We will at some point, we wanted to get feedback on how people liked/disliked the fuzzy search and we think we've got a good balance for how we want it to work.

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @rudy. I haven’t used it a lot since it’s only in the main window, but from what I’ve seen I like it (for what that’s worth).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.