1P4, Win 10, Firefox extension needs secret key

Installing 1P4 on a new PC. Managed to get the app installed successfully and linking to my vault. Trying to install the 1P extension in Firefox and its asking for a Secret Key. It appears that you only get a secret key if you have a membership. I'm quite happy with 1P4 and am hesitant to update to a monthly subscription as it all interacts fine with my tablet and mobile phone. I've got enough problems with setting up my other software on the new PC to get involved with trying to sort this out! Is there any way I can get the Firefox extension without upgrading? It all worked well on my old PC...........
As an aside, I'm trying to enter the license code but keep getting the message that the server is not available.
Many thanks,
Trevor

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Hi @skintdad678,

Thanks for writing in.

You've installed 1Password X extension instead of the regular 1Password extension from 1Password 4 for Windows settings. 1Password X is a self-contained browser extension that works by itself and only supports 1Password.com memberships.

Uninstall 1Password X and install the regular browser extension from here: https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

You may have to configure 1Password to use Native Messaging for Firefox. To do this:

1. Open the main 1Password 4 app and go to the Help Menu > Advanced to select Use Native Messaging Protocol.
    2. Now, go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper and restart your browser, 1Password should work now.

PS: I've moved your thread to our 1Password 4 for Windows forum.

• skintdad678
    skintdad678
    Community Member

Hi, many thanks for replying.
    Apologies for posting in wrong forum.
    I've installed the regular browser extension and its showing as a greyed out icon at the moment. I am trying to configure Native Messaging but there isn't an Advanced option in Help. It may be because I am running the Trial version? I have a licence, but it is not activating as the message I get back is "Cannot contact server for licence activation". I've been trying all day with the same response.
    Thanks,

Trevor

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Hi @skintdad678,

It sounds like you're using a very old version of 1Password, can you tell me the 1Password version you have installed? You should see it in Help Menu > About 1Password.

The latest 1Password 4 version is 4.6.2.626, it has this Help Menu:

If you're not using that version, you can download the latest version from the bottom right of this page: https://1Password.com/downloads/

• skintdad678
    skintdad678
    Community Member

Hi, many thanks for the prompt reply. I've downloaded the latest version, it accepted my license key and Firefox extension now works.
    Many, many thanks for your help with this; its really appreciated.
    Have a great weekend,
    Trevor

• You're welcome and you have a great weekend as well!

This discussion has been closed.