Lost Secret Key; Never logged in on any platform; 1Password Subscriber; Delete Account?

mschemmel3
mschemmel3
Community Member

I purchased a 1Password subscription and downloaded all of the applications but never logged in. I lost my Emergency Kit and, therefore, my secret key and now am unable to do anything with my account. Am I able to delete my account and setup a new account? I want to use the same email address. If not, would it be simplest to look for a different service to manage my information?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:If I can't find my Secret Key (I have all of the other information) and can't access my account.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

Welcome to the forum, @mschemmel3! Sorry for the trouble. Because we don't discuss specifics of anyone's account on this public forum, I've sent you a quick email. If you don't receive it, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk. Thanks!

ref: ENH-24118-122

• sashaza
    sashaza
    Community Member

I'm having the exact same issue.

• I have an active membership
    • Only ever signed in with the Mac app
    • Mac recently got wiped at work... so I lost everything
    • Lost secret key... and I've been going around in circles to set things up again

Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to cancel my membership and make a new account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @sashaza! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble! :) If you're 100% certain you never signed into your 1password.com account on any device except the "work" Mac that was wiped, and you didn't save a hard copy of your Emergency Kit with your Secret Key on it, then yes, you'll need to delete the account and start over. :(

Before we head down that road, can you verify that for me - are you certain you don't have a copy of your Secret Key anywhere? If you signed in using a browser at home, you would be able to sign in again using only the Master Password because the Secret Key would be saved in browser cache. If you've ever installed 1Password on any other device, the Secret Key would be there as well. Let me know.

• sashaza
    sashaza
    Community Member

Thanks for the prompt reply, Lars.

Hmmmm, Definitely didn't use 1password on any device other than the mac app on my work laptop.

I have one last thing to check (backup hard drive with some work stuff on it... maybe it made its way there).

Will let you know later today,
    Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sashaza - sounds good - I'll keep my fingers crossed; let me know. :)

• sashaza
    sashaza
    Community Member

Hey Lars,

Looks like I found the file, but it somehow got corrupted along with a bunch of other files during my backup and can't be opened :(

How do I go about resetting my account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sahaza - please shoot us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from the email address you used to sign up for the account, and include a link to this thread, so we can "connect the dots." You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the email and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

• kengunnells
    kengunnells
    Community Member

I'm a long time customer who purchased 1Password back in 2013, and upgraded in 2015. I never got a Secret Key (that I can remember). All I have is my email address and master password. The data is in an encrypted file in Dropbox and my Mac and iPhone both reference this file. I installed Mac OS Majove and it kicked 1Password from the tray and killed the Chrome plugin. 1Password is now back in the tray, but I when tried to reenable the Chrome extension it requires the Secret Key that I don't have.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kengunnells - I'm sorry for the trouble! What you have purchased in the past are licenses to use 1Password as a standalone product. Things have changed significantly since 2013 around here: there are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync. (1Password.com accounts are what require a Secret Key, as well).

As a standalone product (like you're used to):

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

1Password 7 for Mac is a new purchase for all users -- it requires either a 1password.com membership or the purchase of a license for the new version. That will be the reason you can't use version 7 right now. Do you have a sense of which way you'd like to go? There are numerous advantages to a 1password.com account, but we offer both so you have a choice.

• kengunnells
    kengunnells
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. How do I get from where I am to a 1Password account without losing my data?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kengunnells - I can't say, specifically, because you haven't told me where "here" is. :) If you can let me know what specific version of the following things you're currently running: macOS, 1Password for Mac, and 1Password extension (what did you mean by "requires the secret key?"), as well as how many vaults you have, and how you sync your data currently, I'll be better able to help. :)

• kengunnells
    kengunnells
    Community Member

Lars. I think I have it taken care of now. Thanks for the help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kengunnells - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help.

This discussion has been closed.