How do you move items between categories?

7FN
7FN
Community Member

Support articles all point me to moving items between vaults however I'm looking for the functionality of moving items between categories!? i.e. Moving a general item from 'log ins' category to 'rewards' category. I've tried duplicating but there's no 'copy & paste' function. There are many different categories available to choose from which is great for cataloging but do I have to re-enter everything each time I set up a new category?
Thanks for any help, the app is impressive. I'm a new user from the land of kangaroos.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Categories

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@7FN: Thanks for giving 1Password a try! Say hi to those kangaroos for me — but perhaps from a safe distance. :tongue:

It isn't possible to change an item's type after the fact. It may be a feature we can add in the future, but in the mean time you can copy data from the original item to a new one. Also, if you're using the latest version of 1Password for Mac, this is a bit easier as you can search for the existing item in 1Password mini, pin it (the "anchor" icon in the corner), and then copy from it into the new item you create in the main window.

However, before leaving the Logins category behind, please keep in mind that only Login itself can be used to fill login credentials in the browser. So if this membership is something you'd want to use in your browser, it may be best to leave it as is. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• agilelover
    agilelover
    Community Member

Yeah, this bit me just yesterday. I'd been seduced by the "membership" type for an entry. Then I wanted to be able to login to the related site. A pain in the butt as I had to copy all the entries data. Mind you I really value the security aspects of 1password most if all, but the usability in this case falls short.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @agilelover,

I'm sorry for any confusion about which item categories can be used to fill web forms! Just to be clear: if you want 1Password to fill a sign-in form on a website, you'll need to create a Login item in 1Password. If you're using 1Password for Mac or Windows, we explain the best way to do that here: Use the browser extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Also, in case it helps: There are three 'special' item categories in 1Password that can be used to fill different kinds of forms on websites: Logins (for filling sign-in forms), Credit Cards (for filling credit card forms) and Identities (for filling names, addresses, job titles, email addresses, etc). The other categories are basically templates made to store different types of information which isn't commonly used to fill web forms.

I hope this helps to clear things up! If you have more questions about 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

• FineWine
    FineWine
    Community Member

So this is still not possible to do?

I wish to change an Item type from Log-in to email

If not possible could it be put on a "Future To Do" list. e.g. Menu Bar: > Item > Change Item Type or in Item List: right click on Item > Change Item Type

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So this is still not possible to do?

@FineWine: No.

I wish to change an Item type from Log-in to email

Don't. Only Login items can be used for filling login credentials.

If not possible could it be put on a "Future To Do" list. e.g. Menu Bar: > Item > Change Item Type or in Item List: right click on Item > Change Item Type

It's something we'll consider, but as you can probably tell from looking at the templates, they are very different from each other.

• FineWine
    FineWine
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. I will do it the long way and create a new email Type Item and delete the Log-in Item. :'(

I wait with baited breath for a Future Change - maybe :)

• Transforming items from one type to another is an uglier process than it would seem. We've had some ideas in the past about how to tackle this problem, some of them were pretty good. But we've not yet built any of them. Maybe one day.

Rick

• ritzman
    ritzman
    Community Member

Thanks @Drew_AG for clarifying which categories can be used to fill info. Like others here, I've had to basically abandon most of the other categories (like Reward Programs) and instead use Tags to group those Login items. Perhaps you can add this suggestion to your setup instructions.

• Thanks for the feedback, @ritzman. :)

Ben

• scidoc
    scidoc
    Community Member

My goal was to put all the airline affinity logins into a single category. Based on the info in this thread, I should not even try.
    I guess the next best approach is to use tags?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I used to use Memberships for that, but given that I need to have a Login to be able to sign into their websites anyway I've since moved to simply storing the info in those instead. You can really use tags however you see fit, but generally their purpose is to group items together. For example, the thing I use tags for most is noting which items are associated with specific credit cards. That way if I get a replacement I know exactly where I need to update payment details. But tags are pretty flexible and can be used for many other purposes. :)

• Justcruzinthru
    Justcruzinthru
    Community Member

I fail to understand the value of having an "Email Account" category if it cannot be used to login from a browser. Requesting some enlightenment please.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Justcruzinthru! Welcome to the forum!

The Email Account category is there exactly for when you do not need to login in a browser :) For example, if you want to use your email account in an email client rather than in the web interface, you would use the Email Account category to configure your email app.

When you use an email client, you actually don't need to login anywhere, you just need to store your server settings so you can configure your Thunderbird/Outlook/other email client of choice.

I hope this helps!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I fail to understand the value of having an "Email Account" category

I think it is mainly used to store the configuration details (POP3/IMAP/SMTP setup) of email clients (like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.)

The regular Login category is fine for webmail.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@XIII Exactly! We posted at the same time :)

• ericnishioka
    ericnishioka
    Community Member

Agreed about usage. But as a new user to looking to set up and organize all or my passwords; enticing me to categorize them by email account, passwords, logins, credit cards, etc the reality is a very misleading level of hierarchy or IA, especially since most items are logins. I also struggle with the vault analogy but will spare you my rant on that...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ericnishioka:

enticing me to categorize them by email account, passwords, logins, credit cards, etc the reality is a very misleading level of hierarchy or IA, especially since most items are logins.

In that case, you can store most of your information as Login. While we offer other default categories, you are not forced to use them all if you don't find them beneficial to your organization.

I also struggle with the vault analogy but will spare you my rant on that...

We will be happy to help clarify how vaults work if you have any questions about that :)

This discussion has been closed.