Updating personal disaster recovery document and found agilebits.com/home/licenses site changed

Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member

I have a recovery strategy document for less technically savvy family members in case I'm dead in a house fire or something and my gadgets are also toast. Scenarios include what to do if 1) computer is missing, 2) phone is missing, 3) if both computer and phone are missing. When checking and updating #3, I found the following URL no longer works in the way it used to.

https://agilebits.com/home/licenses

My previous instructions to family to restore 1Password on a new computer was to go to this website, enter the email associated with the original purchase, and to receive the license key in my inbox. That URL no longer works and is now a sales pitch. Where did you guys move the license retrieval website? I could not find it...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hi @Superfandominatrix

Unfortunately we’re no longer able to offer an automated system to retrieve license details. I’d recommend including the actual license file as part of your DR strategy.

Ben

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@Ben Quick follow up questions. If I recall correctly, 1Password 6 for Mac had only a license file and not a documentable license key that I could include in a recovery document.

Does version 7 work the same way?

I've just today installed 1Password 7 without a license key. It looks like anybody can install 1PW7 without having a license key file, and if that person has Dropbox with my opvault file and vault password, and if I attach a valid license file to a 1PW7 software license record in 1PW, it looks like 1PW can be properly licensed. Is this procedurally correct for 1PW7?

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

Let me include the full recovery steps so you guys can see what my recovery document looks like:

Step 1: Buy a new computer, either a Windows computer or a Mac.
    Step 2: Install Dropbox syncing software from https://www.dropbox.com/
    Step 3: Sign in to Dropbox via browser and remove two-factor authentication from my account using the Recovery key on the 1 page Technical Background document.
    Step 4: Configure Dropbox syncing software with the Dropbox account listed on the 1 page Technical Background document.
    Step 5: Wait for Dropbox data sync to complete. This copies all data to the new computer.
    Step 6: Once data syncing 100% complete, confirm that the file “1Password.opvault” exists in the computer’s Dropbox directory at ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password.
    Step 7: Log into my Gmail account xxx@gmail.com on www.gmail.com. You will need to use a back up code from the 1 page Technical Background document as the password to my account. These are one use codes, so you have only 10 log in events before you burn through the emergency break in codes. You must complete step 8 immediately rather than later.
    Step 8: Remove two factor authentication from my Gmail account via Google’s security center.
    Step 9: Go to https://agilebits.com/home/licenses, enter my Gmail account “xxx@gmail.com”.
    Step 10: In Gmail inbox, find 1Password license key email for a Mac install. See 1 page Technical Background document for the Windows license key.
    Step 11: Go to 1Password downloads for software https://agilebits.com/downloads, download 1Password, install, and configure with license key.
    Step 12: During installation of 1Password, configure the application to use the data file in step 6. Use the 1Password license key and vault password from the 1 page Technical Background document to open the 1Password application.
    Step 13: You may wish to reestablish 2-factor protection on my Dropbox and Gmail accounts when you feel sufficiently secure in your management of my accounts.
    Step 14: I recommend considering buying an iPhone and restoring cell service for number xxx-xxx-xxx along with all IOS applications.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Quick follow up questions. If I recall correctly, 1Password 6 for Mac had only a license file and not a documentable license key that I could include in a recovery document. Does version 7 work the same way?

@Superfandominatrix: Yes, that's correct. You'll have a link to download it in the license email you receive with the purchase.

I've just today installed 1Password 7 without a license key. It looks like anybody can install 1PW7 without having a license key file, and if that person has Dropbox with my opvault file and vault password, and if I attach a valid license file to a 1PW7 software license record in 1PW, it looks like 1PW can be properly licensed. Is this procedurally correct for 1PW7?

Yes, anyone can download the apps without a license. Otherwise no one could try 1Password in the first place, or just get it to apply an existing license to. As Ben mentioned, if you could include the actual license as part of your emergency planning.

Let me include the full recovery steps so you guys can see what my recovery document looks like:

It's really up to you how to prepare, but that seems reasonable if it accounts for all contingencies in your particular setup.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

@Lars @brenty thank you.

Still noodling over what is best to recommend to less technically competent family members.

Let me put a hypothetical out there for you to answer regarding the 1password.com platform... let's say an executor has access to my Dropbox account, the standalone opvault file is recovered, and they have my vault password, what would be the procedure for migrating the executor off a standalone version of 1pw and onto the 1password.com platform? This seems like perhaps a more straightforward solution, rather than dealing with license keys, platform dependancies, etc.

• They’d follow the same procedure as you would now if you were to want to migrate to a 1Password membership:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

It does seem that being on a 1Password membership before arriving at this scenario would make for the easiest solution for the executor. All they would need is your printed 1Password Emergency Kit with the Master Password filled in. They wouldn’t even need to install any software — they could simply log in at https://my.1password.com/

Ben

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@Ben thanks, I think I have what I need for the time being.

I agree, I'd like to have the entire family on 1password.com but for [insert reasons], hasn't happened yet.

Thanks as always! You all are great...

• You’re very welcome, and thanks for the kind words. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.