Local CSV Import to local vault

Hello.

In my opinion, it's a big disadvantage that the Windows client doesn't support local import of CSV files into a local vault, so every Windows user is forced to use the web import tool.

As everyone knows, these CSV files contain very sensitive information and I'm not sure if I want to upload them to an online import tool.
Please integrate the CSV import function into the Windows client as well.

I don't understand why this is still not possible today, as it is already possible in the Mac client to my knowledge. If not, please explain why.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windwos
Sync Type: local

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@none,

If you are referring to the converter suite when you say "an online import tool", this would be incorrect. The converter suite does not work via a browser, or move your data off of your local computer. You are not uploading data, and the converter suite does not upload your data.

I realize you're asking about a better CSV import for 1Password for Windows, but I don't want to let this misrepresentation stand.

• none
    none
    Community Member

Hi @MrC

to be clear, I was not referring to the converter suite.
    I was referring to the online import tool at https://my.1password.com/import/csv .
    I am sorry if my first post has been misleading.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@none,

Whew! :-)

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm sure Agilebits will have a good reply soon.

• Hi @none,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password 7 for Windows does not support CSV import for either 1Password.com account or local standalone vaults. We do not require you to use any online tools; we haven't yet implemented support for anything outside of our formats, such as 1PIF, OPVault, and Agile Keychain. The reason for this is 1Password 7 for Windows is a separate codebase from the older mature 1Password 4 that did have CSV support; basically, it's a new app and CSV import hasn't been implemented.

When we started building 1Password 6/7, we refer to the web site because we only supported 1Password.com accounts initially and we wanted to focus on building the features.

Now that we've added standalone vaults recently, we have to bring in more import formats. It is planned but we have no timeframe on this. We do refer to MrC's converter suite to convert your CSV files to 1PIF that is more supported in 1Password 7.

The web import tool you've mentioned is only available for 1Password.com accounts, you must be signed in and it is securely converted locally, not on remote service. We don't perform any decrypted stuff on our side, everything is locally downloaded and done in the browser's storage (encrypted) before it is uploaded securely to your 1Password account.

• none
    none
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

thanks for your reply.

I am looking forward to being able to use CSV import on the windows client soon then.

To me, it looks like the Windows client is kind of a by-product of the 1password suite. Is there a roadmap for the development of the windows client or a planned feature list?

Thank you an best regards

• Hi @none,

I'm not sure what you mean by by-product of the 1Password suite, it is the youngest native app in our ecosystem, yes. 1Password 6/7 not only has a new codebase but also a different development team, different technologies, and so on that is designed to scale the app for the next decade on Windows (1Password 4 was built in Windows XP era) but it will take some time to get all missing features implemented.

As per our policy, we do not release future details. Right now, our focus for the next update is improving the desktop app's performance as it has regressed a bit after we added several new features in the last few updates like Watchtower 2.0 in addition to the standalone vaults, Folder Sync, document preview image, 1Password Brain 2.0, etc. Once we finish optimizing the app's core for 7.3 update, we'll resume our steady pace of adding new features quickly; we want to match and exceed 1Password 4's features and 1Password 7 for macOS as fast as we can.

This discussion has been closed.