Reinstalling 1P after reinstall

shiny9
shiny9
Community Member

I have the standalone version of 1Password 7 installed on my Mac, with the vault being kept on Dropbox.

I backed the Mac up today and restored to factory default, then installed Mojave. I reinstalled 1Password from the website (not the Mac Store) and connected it to the same vault as before.

Unfortunately, the vault is stuck in Read Only mode. The license doesn't seem to be "tied to" the vault. I have access to the backup, I can grab the license file from before, but I don't know where it's kept of what it's named.

Like others in the forums, I have no email from AgileBits or FastSpring, nor a charge on my bank account. I know I must have a valid license though, because it worked on my system prior to the reformat.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@shiny9 - I'm sorry for the trouble! if you purchased a license from us, you would have received an email at the address you used to purchase, containing your license file.

Prior to wiping your Mac and installing Mojave, were you using 1Password 6 for Mac, perhaps?

• shiny9
    shiny9
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me, Lars. I definitely was using 1P7. I took screenshots of my installed programs so I knew what to reinstall after the reformat, and verified it in my Time Machine backup as well.

I'll look through my email accounts again to be safe. Do you know what words might have been in the subject? I tried AgileBits, FastSpring, and even FS, but didn't find anything.

Finally, what is my recourse if I can't find the email? Is there a way to get the file from my backup?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@shiny9 - if you purchased from us, you will have an email receipt from 1Password via FastSpring Checkout that looks like this:

It's worth noting that just having 1Password 7 for Mac installed doesn't mean you necessarily purchased a license or have a 1password.com membership; anyone can download 1Password 7 for Mac from either the Mac App Store or our downloads page and install it. They just will be in Read Only mode until it's been purchased or the user subscribes to a 1password.com account.

If you were licensed on your setup, there will be a license file in the following location:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/1Password 7 License.onepassword7-license-mac

If there is nothing in that file, or the folder doesn't even exist, your copy of 1Password 7 for Mac was not licensed. That would mean your other potential option would be a 1password.com membership (subscription). If you have one of those, it will be under one of your email addresses. I can't say whether it's the same one you used here to register for this forum, because they don't have to be the same. But you would have been given a Secret Key and hopefully saved a print or digital copy of your Emergency Kit at the time you subscribed. If you have an account, you should be able to sign into your account in a browser at https://my.1password.com using your email address, Secret Key, and of course your Master Password.

Let us know what you discover! :)

• shiny9
    shiny9
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Thanks for pointing me to that location, it ended up (indirectly) helping me out.

I looked there and didn't see the license file that you mentioned. However, since I now knew the folder to restore, I was able to restore that folder from my Time Machine backup. My app is now activated and working mostly the same!

Did you maybe offer some sort of "updates for life" way back when? That's the only explanation I can think of for my 1P7 working without the corresponding license.

I'm having an issue with auto-submit, but I'll open a separate ticket for that.

Thanks again!

• shiny9
    shiny9
    Community Member

Re: the issue with auto-submit, I just saw https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/95986/why-was-auto-submit-removed-intentional-auto-submit-not-returning, which answered my questions. I don't need to open a new ticket or wade once more unto the breach of comments for that thread, I'm all good.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@shiny9 - 1Password for Mac has never had a "lifetime license," but there's a bit of confusion surrounding the various things that have been true over the years;

1. All 1Password for Mac licenses never expire. However, they're only good for the version you purchased them for. People who bought 1Password 3 for Mac still needed a new license when 1Password 4 for Mac was released...but that old version 3 license will work forever to license version 3. Most people no longer have versions of OS X or hardware that runs it any longer, however, which is what version 3 required.
    2. The industry uses a term I particularly dislike, because it very much contributes to that "license for life" misconception: it's called "perpetual license" (sounds like forever, doesn't it?).
    3. In 2016, we introduced 1password.com memberships. This is different from a license in several ways but the two important ones here are 1) that it's paid on a monthly or annual subscription basis instead of a one-time fee for a license for a particular version, and 2) a 1password.com membership includes all four of our 1Password applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) in the monthly or annual cost -- including all future upgrades, for as long as the membership is maintained. That's actually the closest thing we have to a "lifetime" ability to use 1Password. But there is not, has never been, and likely never will be a way to pay a single large fee, and get "for life" access to 1Password.

Anyway, glad to hear you're all set now, have a great weekend, and thanks for being a 1Password user! :)

This discussion has been closed.