version 7 - what are we thinking over there?

BrianStegner2
BrianStegner2
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

No more Auto-submit.... bad idea. And I see alerts everywhere about "Reused" passwords. Interesting, I never use dupes. Oh, I get it, because I got talked into joining up on the cloud-based vault thing, now 1Password thinks that the same login info on my private (on my mac) vault, and "their" cloud vault, are dupes. very helpful! LOL

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6 (17G65)
Sync Type: wLan (again, and soon) LOL

Comments

• BrianStegner2
    BrianStegner2
    Community Member

Don't worry, as far as s̶c̶r̶e̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶u̶p̶, oops, I mean improving our own software goes, Apple is way ahead of you... Logic Pro... LOL

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@BrianStegner2

I cannot say for 100% certain but to my best recollection, Auto Submit was removed, by Apple as its a potential security risk. I think I recall @bwoodruff mentioning it. Nope, I found it it was @Lars and located here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/471013/#Comment_471013

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BrianStegner2 - I'm sorry for the confusion -- auto-submit capability was achieved in previous versions of 1Password by a small script that simulated the press of the return/enter key. Apple removed this capability in Safari 12 because they pointed out quite rightly that although our own use of it was legitimate, allowing a script to simulate an execute function like pressing the return key is also how some of the worst malware installs itself.

Regarding re-used passwords, if you created a 1password.com membership when you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac, you should've been prompted to remove your existing standalone vault (after 1Password transferred the data in it into your 1password.com account's new Personal or Private vault). If you declined to do this, then you DO have duplicate copies of all your passwords, in multiple vaults. We've got an update coming soon that will address this particular issue by no longer flagging items that are duplicated in multiple vaults as Reused Passwords in Watchtower, but I'd still strongly recommend removing older, standalone vaults once the data has been migrated to 1password.com account vaults. Leaving them in place increases the potential for confusion and the bifurcation of the records (some new data/edits being saved in the older standalone vaults, others in the 1password.com vaults. Hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.