To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password across multiple osx and iOS devices

Options
zxsder
zxsder
Community Member

Good morning 1password,

I am having issues with my 1password account.

I understand that I have purchased a 1password licence and sync to dropbox.

1. On one of my iPhones (X) I have all of the pro-features activated, but on my iPad, the pro features are not activated and when I select the Restore Purchases prompt, I receive a message that I must be signed in with the Apple ID used to purchase the app. I have signed in with my Apple ID but this didn't work. As I have a licence, I am not sure how the license relates to the Apple ID and I don't understand why the pro features are activated on my iPhone but not my iPad?

2. I would like to add another vault to 1password. I am unable to do this on the iPad as the screen displays a selection "Sync more vaults with Pro."

3. So, I tried adding a vault on my iPhone which has the pro features. The only choices I have are Add Demo Vault or Sync Additional Vault. If I select Sync Additional Vault, the next screen displays Sync with Dropbox. If I select Sync with Dropbox, the next screen displays my Dropbox account. When I select my dropbox account, the next screen allows me to choose a vault, but the only option is the dropbox link to my current vault and when I select this option, I receive a pop up message Vault Exists - This vault already exists on your iPhone.

So, I have no idea how to create an additional vault???

1. While I am asking questions, is it possible for me to use my current 1password licence to install 1password on a work phone and then set up a seperate vault fro use with my work applications that I can access from all of my devices? If so, how do I do this please?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password account across Mac osx and ios

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

when I select the Restore Purchases prompt, I receive a message that I must be signed in with the Apple ID used to purchase the app. I have signed in with my Apple ID but this didn't work.

@zxsder: You'll also need to install the app using the same Apple ID used to make the purchase. Otherwise the App Store will never validate the purchase. If your data is on another device, you can safely reinstall it.

As I have a licence, I am not sure how the license relates to the Apple ID and I don't understand why the pro features are activated on my iPhone but not my iPad?

It's not relevant. The App Store does not use licenses at all; purchases are tied to your Apple ID.

I would like to add another vault to 1password. I am unable to do this on the iPad as the screen displays a selection "Sync more vaults with Pro."

Yep. That's a Pro Features. You'll either need to use the correct Apple ID, purchase it on another, or get the Pro upgrade as part of a 1Password.com membership.

When I select my dropbox account, the next screen allows me to choose a vault, but the only option is the dropbox link to my current vault and when I select this option, I receive a pop up message Vault Exists - This vault already exists on your iPhone.

Right. You can't setup the same vault in the app twice. That would be nuts. You'd end up seeing double of everything. You can, however, select another vault created on a computer.

is it possible for me to use my current 1password licence to install 1password on a work phone and then set up a seperate vault fro use with my work applications that I can access from all of my devices?

1Password apps are separate purchases for each platform. If you're using the same Apple ID, you could use it on an iPhone. It would be much simpler to use a 1Password.com membership though, since that includes all of the apps and doesn't require you to configure sync for individual vaults on each device.

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning Brenty,

Thanks for your reply. If I could address the points you have made:

1. I have installed the app using the same Apple ID and yet the pro features still don't validate. So I deleted the app and then reinstalled it and I am still unable to validate the PRO features?

2. Ok, so another vault - is a PRO feature. As already explained in point 1, on my iPhone, the PRO features are activated. However, when I select Vaults on my iPhone, I have my primary vault and the other options are Add Demo Vault and Sync Additional Vault.
      A. I have no idea what a demo vault is but the name Demo suggests that it is not permanent?
      B. The other option is Sync Additional Vault. The fine print suggests that if I have created multiple vaults on my Mac I can sync them here - I have selected another vault on my Mac but on the Mac the new vault is listed as On my Mac not in Dropbox. I am unable to sync the On my Mac vault with my iPhone? When I select Sync Additional Vault on my iPhone, the only option I am presented with is to Sync to Dropbox.

Why if the Mac version of 1password allows me to create an additional vault is it created On my Mac and then not able to be synced with my iPhone?

3. Your response to my question was "Right. You can't setup the same vault in the app twice. That would be nuts. You'd end up seeing double of everything. You can, however, select another vault created on a computer."

However, if you see question 2 above, I am unable to figure out how to create a vault on my Mac that I can then sync to my iPhone. Unfortunately your previous reposes was light on details??

1. I am disappointed with the approach 1password have taken to their subscription options with regard to people who have been loyal customers and purchased licences. I have been a 1password member for many years and purchased multiple licences for Mac and iOS apps. It seems to me that 1password have developed a subscription app at the expense of usability for those customers that have a licence in an attempt to force all 1password users to the subscription model. This is very disappointing from a customer perspective.

Thanks, I look forward to your reply.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have installed the app using the same Apple ID and yet the pro features still don't validate. So I deleted the app and then reinstalled it and I am still unable to validate the PRO features?

@zxsder: Is that a question? Did you try it? In all other cases I've encounter, that has worked. But certainly Apple can help if you're still having trouble with their store and/or your Apple ID for some reason. It's just not something we as a 3rd party developer have any control over.

Ok, so another vault - is a PRO feature. As already explained in point 1, on my iPhone, the PRO features are activated. However, when I select Vaults on my iPhone, I have my primary vault and the other options are Add Demo Vault and Sync Additional Vault.

As mentioned in the Pro Features FAQ I directed you to, you can sync multiple vaults using Dropbox:

Multiple vaults. Connect to as many existing vaults on Dropbox as you want.

Creation of new local vaults is done in the desktop apps though.

I have no idea what a demo vault is but the name Demo suggests that it is not permanent?

You enabled it on your device in 1Password Settings > Vaults > Add Demo Vault. You can also delete it there later under that vault's settings.

The other option is Sync Additional Vault. The fine print suggests that if I have created multiple vaults on my Mac I can sync them here

Exactly.

I have selected another vault on my Mac but on the Mac the new vault is listed as On my Mac not in Dropbox. I am unable to sync the On my Mac vault with my iPhone? When I select Sync Additional Vault on my iPhone, the only option I am presented with is to Sync to Dropbox. Why if the Mac version of 1password allows me to create an additional vault is it created On my Mac and then not able to be synced with my iPhone?

You need to sync that vault with Dropbox from your Mac, or your iPhone will have no way of getting it. Did you try that? It won't happen on its own.

Your response to my question was "Right. You can't setup the same vault in the app twice. That would be nuts. You'd end up seeing double of everything. You can, however, select another vault created on a computer." However, if you see question 2 above, I am unable to figure out how to create a vault on my Mac that I can then sync to my iPhone. Unfortunately your previous reposes was light on details??

You didn't ask anything about how to create vaults on your Mac. You haven't actually mentioned your Mac at all! So I figured you either already knew how or you wanted to focus on other things first. Anyway, you can create new local standalone vaults in 1Password for Mac from the Vault menu. It sounds like you may have done that already, but let me know if you have any other questions about it.

I am disappointed with the approach 1password have taken to their subscription options with regard to people who have been loyal customers and purchased licences. I have been a 1password member for many years and purchased multiple licences for Mac and iOS apps. It seems to me that 1password have developed a subscription app at the expense of usability for those customers that have a licence in an attempt to force all 1password users to the subscription model. This is very disappointing from a customer perspective.

That's an odd thing to say. 1Password.com memberships are only relevant to those who have them, and it doesn't sound like you have one, so it doesn't affect you. If you don't want a membership, that's fine. But let's not begrudge others who appreciate the benefits of the service and choose to use it. We haven't removed anything from the "standalone" version of 1Password. After all, it's the same app. On the contrary, we've added features over time in version 6 and 7, both developed after we introduced 1Password.com memberships. If anything, you've benefited from development that 1Password.com members have funded, as we've added new features that work with both, since the apps themselves are the same in either case. And of course you can ignore 1Password.com entirely if you wish.

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning Brenty,

It must be nice being so good at understanding how 1password works allowing you to adopt a condescending attitude to others that don't have your technical expertise and are asking for help - go you!

1. Obviously my error or an issue with my Apple ID, I am not sure. Thanks for highlighting that 1password are unable to assist with this matter.

2. The link you provided Pro Features FAQ, is great for explaining the PRO features in IOS but does nothing to help me set them up. I loved your comment "Did you try that? It won't happen on its own." Way to go Brenty you champion. I would have thought that as customer on the Support Forum asking for help you would have realised I didn't know how to set up the vaults - but you keep that awesome customer service attitude going!!

Thanks for the "sync that vault with Dropbox link," that is what I was looking for and was very helpful.

1. More questions regarding vaults on a Mac. Is it possible to have multiple vaults on my Mac and then only sync specific vaults on different iPhones? If so, could you please explain how I do this or provide a link to the appropriate information, I have not been able to find out how to do this.

Thanks Brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zxsder: You're welcome. :) In order to setup any vaults on each device syncing with Dropbox, you need to configure them individually. So if you do not want to setup a specific vault in 1Password for iOS, you don't need to do anything. It will only use the vaults you explicitly setup there, using the "Sync additional vault" option you mentioned earlier. Any you don't select that way will not show up on the device at all. Cheers! :)

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.