Add option to save security image and/or phrase

Options

Although it is not terribly common, some websites provide an option to save a security image. I think the idea is to create a shared secret for mutual authentication. I provide a username/password to authenticate myself to the website, and the website provides a security image and phrase to authenticate to me that this is the genuine website. Not a bad idea in theory, but of course remembering lots of images and phrases and authenticating them accurately could be a challenge.

In any case, it would be wonderful if there was a standard option to add a security image and/or phrase to a 1Password login item. Extra credit if you help the user authenticate the details when they are presented. :)

Note that what I'm looking for here isn't to attach a file. The easier it is to add the (small) image, the better, and format doesn't matter so 1Password can be very opinionated about the format if that helps. And I need to be able to actually see the image when I look at the item in the 1Password mini window.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:security image

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @spaceman_spiff,

So it seems 1Password kind of can do this but it does require a 1Password account where Documents are their own entity rather than being attachments. In a standalone vault the file appears as an attachment which you can then use Quick Look on which relies on the standard macOS implementation, happening outside of 1Password mini. With a 1Password account the attachment becomes a distinct entity in your vault, a Document item and a link between the original item and the Document item is formed. So if I'm on a site, Okta is an example of this, I access 1Password mini and that entry is listed at the top. Clicking the link switches you to the corresponding Document item and if the item has already been downloaded by 1Password for Mac then it will show the image within 1Password mini. It isn't as seamless as you were asking for but sites like this are sufficiently rare that coming up with a compelling argument to devote time to this over requests that will impact larger numbers of 1Password users is tough.

For phrases we already have custom sections and fields which also work great for security questions and those times where you've supplied generated data because a site really doesn't need to know real details.

• spaceman_spiff
    spaceman_spiff
    Community Member
    Options

Right 1P is great for generating random phrases as answers to security questions. And so you can put the security phrase in there easily enough.

My hope was that maybe adding a security image would be a simple enough addition that it wouldn't be too much extra work. I mean 1P already supports favicons beautifully, and this is just a small step further maybe?! Anyway, I understand that this isn't a widespread practice so it's not a priority, just something for the "wish list" I guess. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not sure there's any real security benefit to those images, but certainly some sites use them and present them as such. And as lil bobby mentioned, you can certainly add them to 1Password for reference. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.