To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cant open apps with master password

holdennelson
holdennelson
Community Member

I was using 1password 4. I am now trying 1password for individuals. I have gotten a secret key and online account. I have installed the chrome extension on my macbook, windows laptop and my ios devices. I am able to login and use these. However, I have also downloaded and installed 1password 7 app to my macbook and windows laptop. When I open these apps and it asks for my master password, it will not work. I KNOW i am putting in the same password that i use for the chrome extensions. What am i doing wrong?

thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:cant open apps with master password

Comments

• holdennelson
    holdennelson
    Community Member

What does happen is that it will open the app with my OLD master password for 1password4!

what to do?

• Hi @holdennelson

It sounds like you still have a legacy “Primary” vault in 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac. If you’ve migrated your data to 1Password.com the migration assistant should’ve prompted you to delete this old vault, but that may not have happened or you may have opted to keep it. In either case the way to resolve this is to delete that Primary vault after verifying all of your data is available on 1Password.com.

Thanks!

Ben

• holdennelson
    holdennelson
    Community Member

where is the new vault stored/located? is it still synced with dropbox?

• holdennelson
    holdennelson
    Community Member

and how do i delete the old primary vault?

• Windows:

1. Click All Vaults at the top of the sidebar. If you have a different vault selected, you’ll see its name instead of All Vaults.
    2. Click ... next to your old vault and select Remove vault.

Mac:

1. Open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced
    2. UNcheck the option: “Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password.com accounts”

I hope that helps!

Ben

• holdennelson
    holdennelson
    Community Member

i completely removed 1pass4 and the keychain, etc. and was finally able to start 1pass7 app. However, cant figure out how to import the personal vault as there is no vault showing when i put in my new 1password.com master password

• holdennelson
    holdennelson
    Community Member

nevermind - i had to close and reopen and now its there. i seem to be all good!

thanks!

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.