When should I select the category for an item?

RJS
RJS
Community Member

Must you select a category when a new item is first established, or can you select after the item is established as a login? I established a new item, for a credit card, and didn't see how I could select the credit card category, so it is a 'login'. May I now put that login in the credit card category? If not, how do I select the credit card category when I first establish the item?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:category

Comments

• Hi @RJS

The category of an item cannot be changed. You would need to decide in advance of creating an item what category is appropriate for it. Also for what it’s worth, there are many instances where it may be appropriate to have multiple items in different categories for one “real world” item such as a credit card. I have both a Login item (for accessing the bank’s website) and a credit card item (for paying for things) for each of my credit cards.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I like your idea of having an item in more than one category, especially for credit cards as you mentioned.

I have a different question for you... I told a friend of mine about how much I like to use 1Password, and how I feel more confident that my information is more secure because of the long and complicated passwords I've set up with your program. My friend responded by saying that was all well and good, but what if 1Password is hacked into and the hacker gets access to all your passwords? I'd appreciate getting your response.

Thank you!

• @RJS

That is why it is very important to use a strong Master Password. But even if you were to use one that perhaps isn't the very best you receive a level of protection from the Secret Key:

About your Secret Key | 1Password

Even if someone were to steal all of the information from 1Password.com that alone would not give them access to anyone's unencrypted 1Password data. Your data is always encrypted before it leaves your device (*).

Ben

(*) The only exception is if you export to an unencrypted file such as a 1PIF or CSV and then transmit that file off your device or use an unsecure sharing method. In the either case you'll get a popup before you can proceed warning you that you're sending unencrypted data.

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt reply, Ben - much appreciated.

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.