Generating passwords on Android app

benjilb
benjilb
Community Member

I've looked at previous discussions but wondering if this had been changed or resolved.

When creating logins on Android you have to seemingly go through a few manual steps to create a new login, like this:
1. Copying the URL,
2. Going to 1Password app,
3. Creating a login,
4. Pasting the URL,
5. Generating a password,
6. Copying the password,
7. Going back to the webpage
8. Pasting the password

Is there another option for creating a login without having to jump between the app and webpage?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@benjilb: There is, but it isn't widely available yet. 1Password 6.6+ supports Google's OpenYOLO APIs, which apps can use to integrate and automate a lot of things: account setup, login saving, sign in, etc. So while it's still early days on that and in many cases you'll need to do the above password dance, it will get better over time as more support the new standards. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• benjilb
    benjilb
    Community Member

That's great, thanks @brenty

I prefer the 1Password UI to other password managers but it's the Android create feature that was holding me back a bit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's definitely something we want to improve as well. OpenYOLO will help, but hopefully we can make item editing a smother experience too. Cheers! )

• benjilb
    benjilb
    Community Member

Hi, i've seen 1Password 7.x is out now on Android - is this functionality now supported? I would trial but i've already used it up!

• Hi @benjilb. If you're using a browser that supports Autofill (e.g. Firefox Focus, Opera, Edge, DuckDuckGo, or Brave), or if you're using other apps, you can save Logins automatically that way. Have a look at our guide for saving and filling for more details.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions.

• benjilb
    benjilb
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Hi @peri, thank you for the response.
    This isn't really the functionality I was asking about - does the updated version of 1password allow Android to create logins for websites and apps, or is it only for autofilling logins that were previously created?
    My issue back in January 2018 was that if I am browsing on Android Chrome, or using a new App, to create the login you have to go through 8 steps (as @brenty said, the password dance!)
    Has this been resolved 1password 7, is it now using the openYOLO APIs?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@benjilb: Thanks for clarifying. We introduced OpenYOLO support in 1Password a long while ago, but it requires individual 3rd party apps support it and I don't have a good sense of how much adoption that's gotten. There isn't yet a streamlined workflow for your example, but it's something we have in mind to improve in the future, keeping in mind that login filling always takes precedence because it's used far more frequently. You're not wrong, but there are only so many developer hours for everything that needs doing, all of which is important to someone. :blush:

• benjilb
    benjilb
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for the update!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your passion for 1Password! :chuffed:

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

What about to create a shortcut for the notification toggle buttons? It'd open a password generation popup that allows to copy it and we'd be able to access it easily on everywhere.

• Thank you for the request, @koraykupe. I will pass this on to our development team.

• folex
    folex
    Community Member

Hi! Still no updates on this? It would so much easier to register in different apps if there would be any option of password generation on Autofill in Android. Currently have to do "password dance" every time, and more to that, these password sometimes become "orphaned" because I was in a rush to fill all the required fields.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hadn't imagined that adoption would be fast, but it has been slower than I expected as well. More and more apps are adding support for Autofill, but since a lot of devices are still stuck on OS versions that don't support it there may be less incentive. :blush:

• tsalonia
    tsalonia
    Community Member

I also run the iOS version of 1Password, and on that version, it is very easy to create a new login from within the browser or app. For those not familiar, when you are on a page for which you do not yet have an account, you are presented with the Autofill dialog, but instead of filling, you hit the "key" button which takes you to 1Password, and are presented with a "Create New Login" option. Is the OpenYOLO supposed to offer the same type of functionality on Android?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@tsalonia: It's not quite the same, but yes, generally, it enables similar integration between 1Password and 3rd party apps. In both cases, 1Password registers with the OS as a "provider" for password management functions. I think adoption has been "faster"* on iOS because iCloud Keychain has been built into the OS and served a similar function to what's now been opened up to 3rd party developers as well. I think OpenYOLO can be a bit slicker in some ways due to offering a bit more in the way of features/integration, and it's also not dependent on the latest OS the way that iOS 12 Password Autofill and Android Autofill (8.0+ only) do. Sort of an Apples and Oreos comparison due to many historical and platform differences, but in broad strokes the end result is the same for users. :)

*Not really, but a lot of apps supported basic filling "out of the box" by virtue of having done so for the OS-level feature for years.

• ilools
    ilools
    Community Member

still no way to auto genenate password with outfill feature in brower or app ? i hate this password dance ,or can u provide a workfow ..
    anyone could u tell me how to register a new web site acount with 1password ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

still no way to auto genenate password with outfill feature in brower or app ?

@ilools: No. Password Autofill is an iOS feature. We don't have any control over the presentation.

anyone could u tell me how to register a new web site acount with 1password ?

Yes. You just need to open 1Password instead and create a new login:

Hope this helps. :)

• benjilb
    benjilb
    Community Member

Hi, regarding my original query - it looks like this may be possible now? But is there anyway for me to get a free trial again so i can check functionality?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@benjilb: I'm not sure what you're asking about specifically at this point. Can you clarify?

• benjilb
    benjilb
    Community Member

@brenty Sure - apologies, wrote that quite quickly.

So, reading through the last 18 months of this thread it would appear that Android may now support the functionality I was originally asking about.

I already have an account setup using my main email address but it is frozen. Is there a way to get another free trial using the same address so I can see if the functionality is working as expected?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@benjilb: I could probably answer that for you myself if I understood what you were looking for exactly, but you can always sign up for or delete any account as needed. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.